Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Stripped a lug nut
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 1:14 pm 
Ski and everyone else, thanks again for taking the time to write all that, it's valuable info and I'm taking note. A car-clueless young guy like me could use all the advice I can get. Looks like I'll be picking up a lug wrench and a pump to keep in my car. Sounds like a can of fix-a-flat wouldn't be a bad idea either. I will also probably be picking up a new jack, as the one that came with the car seems like a cheaply made piece of junk.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 1:54 pm 
Ski wrote:
Make sure the tires are warmed up good. Do not use "Fix-A-Flat" on a cold tire.
You explained how to warm up the fix-a-flat can. How do you warm up the flat tire? This is all good info. One of my biggest fears, OK maybe my biggest fear, is having a flat tire (or some other issue that makes my car undriveable) miles and miles up a remote logging road.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 2:37 pm 
Unless you have a major blowout, a 12v compressor is the way to go...of course TH thieves would be more likely to steal that than a can of fix O' flat, so I suggest carrying both. Then there is the old tyme method of simply putting on a spare...but in the event of a slow leak, just air it up (maybe repeatedly) and drive to the nearest tire shop.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 2:38 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
You explained how to warm up the fix-a-flat can. How do you warm up the flat tire?
He probably just talks to it, I think he has enough hot air to warm it up.. clown.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 7:53 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
How do you warm up the flat tire?
If you've been driving the vehicle, the tire will be warm enough. After the "Fix-A-Flat" is pumped into the flat tire, driving the vehicle will warm up the tire and disperse the liquid all over the inside of the tire.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Sep 23, 2017 6:26 am 
Jake Robinson wrote:
One last question - does anyone have any thoughts on fix-a-flat? Would this be a useful item to carry as a form of insurance in case I find myself in a similar situation in the future?
It works, sort of....and it makes a real mess of the inside of the tire, as well as not fully inflating the tire. A good idea might be to place a tire repair kit (like this maybe), or maybe this (or this one) in along the rest of your tire changing gear and as was mentioned, a plug-in compressor. The only trick to the tire repair kit is finding the actual hole in the tire perhaps. Usually you'll find a nail, sheetrock screw, etc, then you know where the trouble is. At this point, after you've removed the nail, use a yellow marker to mark where it was, otherwise you'll never find it. Now, my "rancher buddy" tells me that he uses a propane bottle to re-inflate the tire, and a match to locate the hole...... lol.gif dizzy.gif shakehead.gif You don't suppose that he's "pulling my leg", do you?

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Sep 23, 2017 7:23 am 
really cool trick of getting a pair of vise grips on that lug nut. there is a nut splitter tool that would work if you can get it on the nut. I have fixed a flat out in the 'bush' with the mentioned tire patch and 12v compressor but that means getting the tire off the vehicle. I also carried an 850 watt inverter just in case.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 23, 2017 10:04 am 
moonspots wrote:
It works, sort of....and it makes a real mess of the inside of the tire, as well as not fully inflating the tire.
^ Yeah... should have mentioned that... "Fix-A-Flat" will not pump the tire back up to the recommended pressure... it should inflate the tire enough so that you can limp the vehicle down the road a little ways to a gas station and fully inflate the tire.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSat Sep 23, 2017 10:12 am 
Ski wrote:
tire iron: image
Nope, that's a combination lug wrench/jack handle. Tire irons (aka tire spoons) are used to remove/install tires on rims manually, and are what truck drivers used to use to whack people upside the head. http://www.gemplers.com/tire-irons

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
christensent

christensent
PostSun Sep 24, 2017 9:34 am 
moonspots wrote:
My son's Grand Cherokee has some lugnuts that have the fancy chrome covers attached. These often eventually fall off, and the remaining nut is then undersized, which then causes a lug wrench to not fit right and slip, etc. He had new brakes put on a couple months ago, and part of the job was to replace the factory nuts with some single piece nuts for just this reason.
I had this happen too! It's a pretty big risk. If the nut seizes up a bit, the cover is no longer strong enough to hold up to the increased torque required to loosen it. Ultimately, most people are simply not going to be prepared to deal with this type of failure, nor is it probably worth it because the worst case is you walk out and call a tow truck/service truck in to deal with it. If you want to be prepared, I'd suggest carrying a full set of 1/2" sockets, big hammer, large 1/2" wrench, torque wrench, breaker bar, penetrating lubricant, an impact wrench, and an AC inverter and grinder (worst case cut or grind it out). That's my equipment load out to ensure I can change a tire in any scenario since I drive alone where it'd cost up to tens of thousands of dollars to get a tow out and may be seasonally impossible. It would also be a good idea to have tire irons, air compressor, and a patch kit to repair the flat in case you get two flats before returning to a tire shop.
Ski wrote:
After the "Fix-A-Flat" is pumped into the flat tire, driving the vehicle will warm up the tire and disperse the liquid all over the inside of the tire.
Fix-A-Flat is a really bad idea to use unless you simply must use it for an emergency case. It'll essentially destroy your tire unless you get it cleaned out immediately after use upon returning to town. Once it dries inside, you can't balance the tire anymore. It'll also destroy tire pressure monitoring systems in modern vehicles so you'll have to buy a new one of those and have it installed (requires dis-mounting the tire) after using fix-a-flat too.
moonspots wrote:
Now, my "rancher buddy" tells me that he uses a propane bottle to re-inflate the tire, and a match to locate the hole...... lol.gif dizzy.gif shakehead.gif You don't suppose that he's "pulling my leg", do you?
Although the use of propane is fairly aggressive and probably not super safe, this is a standard procedure for the home tire installer to set the bead (I'm guessing this is what they were talking about?). Typically you'd use starting fluid. Spray some in, light it and boom your beads are set. You still need a compressor though because the hot gas will immediately cool and the tire actually forms a vacuum and implodes unless you immediately start getting air in.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Sep 24, 2017 9:44 am 
The time the installer used an impact wrench on a crosthreaded nut resulted on a broken stud when I tried loosing it with a cheater bar and 1/2" it ha cheater. I had to take off the brake Drummond use a drift pin to remove it, 69 Cuda. This was at home. So even having all the tools might not do any good.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 24, 2017 10:15 am 
christensent wrote:
Fix-A-Flat is a really bad idea to use unless you simply must use it for an emergency case. It'll essentially destroy your tire unless you get it cleaned out immediately after use upon returning to town. Once it dries inside, you can't balance the tire anymore. It'll also destroy tire pressure monitoring systems in modern vehicles so you'll have to buy a new one of those and have it installed (requires dis-mounting the tire) after using fix-a-flat too.
I never said it was a good thing. I was just explaining how to use it properly so that there is at least some chance of success. (The "warranty" return rate on the stuff was phenomenal - so I learned to always explain to people how to use it before selling it to them if I had the time.) Never occurred to me that it would gum up tire pressure monitoring systems - those didn't exist when I was selling it.
cc wrote:
Nope, that's a combination lug wrench/jack handle....
Well, I stand corrected. Nomenclature on hand tools varies regionally, and sometimes those "regional distances" don't have to be that great. It also changes over time. They were "tire irons" when we ordered them from Universal Equipment Company out of Missouri. What you've cited there above I've always known as a "tire spoon". (But then, I never worked in a tire shop.) I'm sure in some little corner of the world, they have another name for them, just as is the case with most any hand tool you can imagine. (Is it a breaker or a flex-head handle?) (Who knew it was a "rim wrench" or "cross rim wrench" before it was a "lug wrench"?)(My old man called it a "star wrench". Go figure.)
Indestro 0626 0627 0628 0629 0654 635 Rim Wrench - 1935 Indestro catalog pp 28 Indestro Mfg. Corp., 2649 No. Kildare Ave., Chicago, Illinois USA made in USA
Indestro 0626 0627 0628 0629 0654 635 Rim Wrench - 1935 Indestro catalog pp 28 Indestro Mfg. Corp., 2649 No. Kildare Ave., Chicago, Illinois USA made in USA
Duro Chrome 1756 1757 1758 1759 Tire Iron - 1935 Duro Chrome catalog pp 53 Duro Metal Products Co., 2649 No. Kildare Ave., Chicago, Illinois USA made in USA
Duro Chrome 1756 1757 1758 1759 Tire Iron - 1935 Duro Chrome catalog pp 53 Duro Metal Products Co., 2649 No. Kildare Ave., Chicago, Illinois USA made in USA
Craftsman 9C4472 9C4473 9C4489 9C4723 9C4724 Cross Rim Wrench - Tire Iron - 1955 Craftsman hand tools catalog pp 19 made in USA
Craftsman 9C4472 9C4473 9C4489 9C4723 9C4724 Cross Rim Wrench - Tire Iron - 1955 Craftsman hand tools catalog pp 19 made in USA

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Sep 24, 2017 4:07 pm 
I've lived in and traveled alot of places for 6 decades and IME there's only one type of tool in the U.S. called a "tire iron," e.g., items L, M, N in the pic posted by Ski of the 1955 Craftsman catalog, which identifies the items as "tire irons." Some people call them "tire spoons." I've never heard anyone refer to a lug wrench as a tire iron -- until Ski did so in this thread jus' sayin' ETA: Maybe we should call them "Daniel J. Evans gizmos" And I recall old timers use the term "rim wrenches"

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 24, 2017 7:18 pm 
Well, as I said, nomenclature on hand tools varies wildly by region. It's been the topic of discussion on various tool forums repeatedly. Just because you know it by a particular name doesn't necessarily mean somebody else hasn't been calling it something entirely different their entire life, just as their father did, and his father before him. Is it a ratchet? Or a ratchet wrench? Or a socket wrench? lol.gif I've never heard the term "rim wrench" until I started poking around in those old catalogs this morning and found those listed that way. As I noted above, my father referred to them at times as a "star wrench", and I used to hear that term from some of my older customers up in Yelm. And.... it's not just different between users. If you start poking around in old tool catalogs you will notice that what one manufacturer calls an item may not necessarily be the same as what another manufacturer calls exactly the same item. I have seen that innumerable times. ("Breaker" / "Flex handle" / "Flex-head handle" being just one example.) I very seriously doubt that "tire iron" and "lug wrench" are the only cases where different terms are used by different people for the same item. Is this a "monkey wrench", or a "bicycle wrench"? Some might call it a "pipe wrench" at first sight:
Gormully & Jeffery Mfg. Co. 3-inch bicycle wrench 01 ca. 1878-1900 Gormully & Jeffery Mfg. Co. 
222 and 224 No. Franklin St. Chicago, Illinois USA made in USA
Gormully & Jeffery Mfg. Co. 3-inch bicycle wrench 01 ca. 1878-1900 Gormully & Jeffery Mfg. Co. 222 and 224 No. Franklin St. Chicago, Illinois USA made in USA
Gormully & Jeffery Mfg. Co. 3-inch bicycle wrench 02 ca. 1878-1900 Gormully & Jeffery Mfg. Co. 
222 and 224 No. Franklin St. Chicago, Illinois USA made in USA
Gormully & Jeffery Mfg. Co. 3-inch bicycle wrench 02 ca. 1878-1900 Gormully & Jeffery Mfg. Co. 222 and 224 No. Franklin St. Chicago, Illinois USA made in USA
Is it an "ignition wrench", or a "magneto wrench"?
Gilfillan Bros. ignition magneto wrench set 01 ca. 1915-1921 Gilfillan Bros. Inc., 1815 W. 16th St., Los Angeles, California USA made in USA
Gilfillan Bros. ignition magneto wrench set 01 ca. 1915-1921 Gilfillan Bros. Inc., 1815 W. 16th St., Los Angeles, California USA made in USA
Gilfillan Bros. ignition magneto wrench set 02 ca. 1915-1921 Gilfillan Bros. Inc., 1815 W. 16th St., Los Angeles, California USA made in USA
Gilfillan Bros. ignition magneto wrench set 02 ca. 1915-1921 Gilfillan Bros. Inc., 1815 W. 16th St., Los Angeles, California USA made in USA
Gilfillan Bros. ignition magneto wrench set ca. 1915-1921 Gilfillan Bros. Inc., 1815 W. 16th St., Los Angeles, California USA made in USA
Gilfillan Bros. ignition magneto wrench set ca. 1915-1921 Gilfillan Bros. Inc., 1815 W. 16th St., Los Angeles, California USA made in USA
(* I can always dig around in some more boxes if you need more examples. wink.gif )

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 9:28 am 
Jake Robinson wrote:
That would have been a fun 20 mile walk in the dark. Is a stuck/stripped lug nut a situation people plan for, is it a fluke, or am I just dumb for getting myself in this situation in the first place?
shakehead.gif On page 3 and no one has noticed the FACT that the vehicle is still drivable with a flat tire. Put the other lug nuts back on and drive SLOW until cell phone service is available or help is available.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential