Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Zinke: "One-third of Interior employees not loyal to Trump"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Abert

Abert
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 4:33 pm 
AP Story about a speech by Ryan Zinke to an oil industry group. I certainly hope it's more than a third of employees.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 4:35 pm 
You actually want factions within govt to pursue ends different from those they are tasked with via due process and elections?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Abert

Abert
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 4:55 pm 
I actually thought the point of career civil service employees was to be loyal to the law and due process and not political appointees and politicians. Zinke is the one who chose to characterize his complaint about Interior Department employees as a lack of loyalty. If his problem is with "factions" improperly impeding the policies of the President he could have said that and just skipped the talk of loyalty.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 5:02 pm 
I see, that's a better fleshing out of your first post, thanks. I think it's important for govt employees to follow the tasking they're given regardless of how they feel about it or the people it comes down from. If it's expected to be 'loyalty' to a person or politician, I don't support it because if it's that, the govt is not functioning as per it's theoretical mandate per se. If it's 'loyalty' in the sense of following properly constituted changes in direction in terms of process, then that IMO is necessary. They're not supposed to be independent agents implementing decisions, practices or policies they personally filter through their agreement module.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:05 pm 
Abert wrote:
I actually thought the point of career civil service employees was to be loyal to the law and due process and not political appointees and politicians.
Damn right! up.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:27 pm 
So? Who swore an oath to be "loyal to the flag"? I thought those oaths sworn were to uphold the US Constitution. Federal employees are bound to adhere the Federal Statutes that are currently in effect. While I agree with Zinke's comment that the Endangered Species Act has been abused (and used as a weapon against land and wildlife management agencies), I think Zinke and Trump will have a difficult time getting it watered down, as that would require and Act of Congress, something which neither of them is likely to have much success in bringing about. So Zinke's whining about "a third" of the employees at the Department of the Interior not joining in lock-step with his agenda? That's probably because the other two thirds of them weren't counted. lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 9:40 am 
maybe Zinke should voice his concerns to Rick and Bubba lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
SingleShot

SingleShot
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 3:55 pm 
I fought with the Park Service for over 30 years in support of planting fish in the NCNP. The congressional legislation stated the WDFW was a co-manager of the fishery and a WDFW fishing license was required. Within 10 years the NCNP was attempting to curtail fish stocking even though the congressional intent was to provide angling through fish stocking. Congress never passed a law saying you can't stock fish but the NPS had initiated a policy in 1972 to ban fish stocking in all parks. IMOH, I think Zinke wants policy to change and that is what a new administration does.

WDFW Volunteer Award recipient
drm

drm
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 10:51 am 
It is a common practice when conservatives don't want an agency to exist, or don't want it to do what it was tasked to do when created, to simply underfund it and ignore the laws that define it's mission. While it may not be easy to change laws the define the mission or to abolish it, I don't remember that they have tried much, because once in control it is just easier to ignore the laws. But whether or not they tried and or succeeded, it is common for them to ignore those laws. And ignoring a law because you aren't able to change it sounds a lot like what they accused Obama of doing when Congress would not address certain issues. You might think the ESA has been misused, but it has also been ignored in pretty obvious cases where species were endangered, and courts have found this to be the case repeatedly. Some don't think the ESA takes economic considerations into account enough, but that is how it was adopted decades ago. It's too early to say to what degree Zinke will do the above, although I think Pruitt at EPA already has in some cases.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 12:20 pm 
At least Zinke lets oil companies fund his extravagant private jet travel rather than pushing that bill to the taxpayers.

drm

drm
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 10:33 am 
joker wrote:
At least Zinke lets oil companies fund his extravagant private jet travel rather than pushing that bill to the taxpayers.
No, the flight was on a plane owned by an oil company, but our tax dollars paid that company to rent their plane, to the tune of $12,375.