Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Stripped a lug nut
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 9:47 am 
^ True, but you run a good risk of permanently damaging the tire (chewing up the sidewall) or (more expensively) the wheel itself. If you go really really really slow and you're lucky you can pull it off, but if you've got aluminum wheels odds are not in your favor. For that matter, you can take it as far as one of the guys who used to live across the street from me: Drove his Monte Carlo all the way back home from the bar with no tire or wheel on the front passenger side. The brake rotor was a bit flat on one side - it ground off about 2 inches running it on the pavement. He did, in the end, get it all the way home. up.gif YMMV

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 11:02 am 
Right, I would only drive on a flat if the tire was nearly worn out...otherwise you will end up with 3 goods tires and one that's not safe to drive on. I would only drive with about half the recommended pressure and even that would be risky.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 am 
I has a similar issue. Flat tire and no tire iron, last spring. Weather was cooling, with rain coming in. I was not equipped for walking in the deteriorating conditions. Yea i do know better than to head out even in a vehicle not being properly equipped for an unplanned stay. Did not have second thoughts about possibly damaging the rim beyond repair. Thankfully the rim (aluminum) survived with out a scratch. Tire need to be replaced. On a semi unrelated note. If have a flat on the freeway i drive (slowly) on the shoulder to the next exit. No tire or rim is worth the risk of changing the tire on the side of the freeway with proliferation of distracted drivers.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 11:49 am 
Hulksmash wrote:
On a semi unrelated note. If have a flat on the freeway i drive (slowly) on the shoulder to the next exit. No tire or rim is worth the risk of changing the tire on the side of the freeway with proliferation of distracted drivers.
True statement. Several years ago there was a young guy heading to work in Everett travelling south in his '66 Chevelle and he had a flat, pulled over on the bridge over the Snohomish river. Bad idea, he was struck and killed.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
uww

uww
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 2:12 am 
Can anyone recommend a battery charger/air pump combo? Not even sure what to look for. I just had a cheapo amazon generic Chinese charger fail- learned my lesson, luckily not far from home and I got a jump easily. And if it's not clear, by charger I mean basically a portable battery I can throw in the trunk and use to jump start my car, not the trickle charge thing.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 5:44 am 
Mine is a PowerStation PSX2. I think my girlfriend got it for me at Costco. It's been plugged in for several years under a cabinet in the kitchen. We have to pull it out every now and then. Starts dead batteries, has a tire inflator. I have been told you have to keep them charged up or it shortens their lifespan. Their owners manual says to recharge it once a month "if stored for extended periods".

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 8:17 am 
A few comments from the resident engineer... To remove a stubborn lug nut you need to apply adequate torque. Any one sided removal tool "tire iron", socket set, etc. applies both torque and a side force to the nut . Simply an equal and opposite axial force applied that can tend to cause a wrench to slip off. The longer the bar (or cheater bar) the more torque you create with the same axial force. I greatly prefer the 4 way lug wrench’s to whatever came with the car. They easily fit within most spare tire wheel wells. These allow you to apply almost pure torque with both hands with no tendency to want to slip off.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 9:17 am 
Hulksmash wrote:
Jake Robinson wrote:
That would have been a fun 20 mile walk in the dark. Is a stuck/stripped lug nut a situation people plan for, is it a fluke, or am I just dumb for getting myself in this situation in the first place?
shakehead.gif On page 3 and no one has noticed the FACT that the vehicle is still drivable with a flat tire. Put the other lug nuts back on and drive SLOW until cell phone service is available or help is available.
Or that Fix-a-flat will seal and re-inflate tires with minor damage a lot more quickly than putting the spare on. Also with many modern vehicles the spare is that dinky thing -- which is only good for low speeds and short distances. I learned this the hard way on a weekend in Portland at my son's a water polo tournament when my tire had bad sideway damage on a Sunday and the dinky spare had warnings on the sidewall limiting use to 45 mph and 50 miles. None of the few tire stores open on Sunday had a replacement tire the right size to fit the low profile factory rim. So I ended up buying a used steel wheel and retread high profile tire with the same diameter to get home in time for the kids to go to school on Monday.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 10:18 am 
the modern auto manufacturer practice of no real spares on so many models is a super sucky one.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers