Forum Index > Pacific NW History > An illustrated history of Klickitat, Yakima and Kittitas counties
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 1:24 pm 
For local history buffs, this is the shiznit.
A couple hundred pages of well written history from prehistorical natives to Vancouver's expeditions, the fur trade and English presence in the regions of central WA, including coastal expeditions. This very long preface is followed by a compendium of personages, trials and court cases, settlers and farmers letters and diaries, Indian wars and encounters, descriptions of blizzards, locust plagues, stampedes, murders and fights on ranches and in bars, political scandals, plus town histories. I return to this book time and again because there's always something cool in it. It's one of the sources for Harry Major's Exploring Washington book. There is a PDF copy at the archive site here, plus numerous other formats. I just ordered a modern custom reprint so I can hold a book while I read it. There are also originals around at booksellers, but they run $400 and up. There are also other versions around covering other counties in WA, and I think in Idaho and Oregon as well. I'll get to them in time. This book is fascinating reading.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 am 
Kittitas Valley in 1860s
Quote:
State Senator A. J. Splawn, in describing a trip with cattle to the British Columbia mines, made by himself and others in August, 1861, says: "It was the fourth day out that we came to the beautiful Kittitas valley. This vallev as it looked that day to me, a boy of sixteen, was the loveliest spot I had ever seen. To the west stood the great Cascade range; to the north rose the snow capped peaks of the Peshastin, standing as mighty sentinels to guard the beautiful valley below, where the Yakima river wound its way full length, while from the mountains on the north flowed numerous small streams, and the whole plain was covered with a thick coat of grass. Sage hens and prairie chickens and jack rabbits were on all sides. The song birds were singing a sweet lullaby to the departing day and the howl of the coyote was borne on the evening breeze. As we gazed on this lovely sight, I wondered how long it would be before the smoke would be curling from pioneer homes, for here the settler would find a paradise." Mr. Splawn tells us that he visited the valley again in May, 1863, with a pack train of forty horses, enroute to the Caribou mines, and that he found the whole flat covered with Indian lodges. The red men were there that their women might gather the kous for winter provision, while the warriors of the different tribes should hold councils, and engage in sports of all kinds, gambling, danc- ,ing, horse racing, etc. It was a grand gala occasion, and the savage shouts, the barking of dogs, the neighing of horses, the noise of the drums and the dance produced a medley of sounds such as not many at the present time are privileged to hear.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Chico

Chico
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 2:04 am 
It's been spelled "Cariboo" as well. Cariboo Trail.