Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Tom Petty taken off life support
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 12:58 pm 
RIP what a crappy day waah.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 1:17 pm 
Bad news from all around. frown.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 1:41 pm 
Tom Petty has passed. Rest in peace.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 3:06 pm 
RIP one of the best concerts I attended - great showman.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 3:19 pm 
Attended his performance this summer.... Sorry to see him go so young.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 7:50 pm 
Love the sound of this song. It was written by Tom and sung by Stevie Nicks on her solo album. Here both artists are singing together. Wiki article here on "Stop Dragging My Heart Around". Quote: "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" was the first single from Stevie Nicks' debut solo album, Bella Donna (1981). The track is the album's only song that was neither written nor co-written by Nicks. Written by Tom Petty and Mike Campbell as a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers song, Jimmy Iovine, who was also working for Stevie Nicks at the time, arranged for her to sing on it... Petty sang with Nicks in the chorus and bridge, while his entire band (save Ron Blair, whose bass track was played by Donald "Duck" Dunn instead) played on the song.... As of 2017, "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" remains a mainstay of Stevie Nicks's solo performances, and on July 9, 2017, Nicks performed the song together with Petty and the Heartbreakers at the British Summer Time festival at Hyde Park in London. The song peaked at No. 3 on the American Billboard Hot 100 for six consecutive weeks... Awesome synergy. They sound great together. ~z

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 pm 
It was finally confirmed by a family spokesman that he died at 8:40 pm. this evening. LA Times article released 9:05 pm this evening. The media were going back and forth all day!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 10:42 pm 
Netflix - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Running Down a Dream I watched this documentary on Netflix several months ago. Very well done.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 03, 2017 2:07 am 
Thanks for that. Been watching it tonight. I remember going to a concert 20 years ago. What a great artist and performer he was. He will be missed.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue Oct 03, 2017 8:09 am 
Thanks, Ski. Can't wait to watch the documentary. What a dude and what huge songs. Can never pick a favorite. I clearly remember the first time I heard him. Late 70s, Peace Corps, Paraguay, sitting in the back outdoor patio of a bar. A new arrival had a cassette player pumping out Refugee . "Whoa, who is that?" tongue.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Oct 03, 2017 9:55 am 
I had just caught his show six weeks ago at Safeco Field. Sad loss of a great musician and songwriter. Perhaps we should rename this forum "Full Moon Fever" for a few weeks...

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
gb

gb
PostTue Oct 03, 2017 5:28 pm 
This death hits a little closer to home. His 1980's works including "Into the Great Wide Open" and "Don't Back Down" were among my favorites to accompany slide shows I used to give in the Seattle area.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Oct 03, 2017 6:40 pm 
Speaking of "Running Down a Dream", this music video is very interesting. It's an 80's take on Little Nemo a newspaper comic strip from 1905--1911. It was a continuing story of a little boy's fantastic dreams and really ahead of its time. Enjoy. ~z

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 1:45 am 
Get Out, et al,
Quote:
Can never pick a favorite.
Not a huge Petty fan but I can't think of anyone who had so many solid hits in his quiver. Question: Media article says he's from Florida, but in farewell to weed song "Last Dance with Mary Jane" he references Market Square Arena in Indianapolis. I claimed him as a fellow Hoosier? What am I missing? Tom

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 9:26 pm 
Another good song (1989). Today at a football game in the University of Florida stadium in Gainesville, 90,000+ fans sang this song in tribute. (Twitter video clip in that link--Unmute it.) Tom Petty was from Gainesville and worked as a groundskeeper at the university in his early days. ~z