Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Tom Petty taken off life support
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 8:41 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Another good song (1989). Today at a football game in the University of Florida stadium in Gainesville, 90,000+ fans sang this song in tribute. (Twitter video clip in that link--Unmute it.) Tom Petty was from Gainesville and worked as a groundskeeper at the university in his early days. ~z
. .
Nice song, but it was never a Heartbreakers song and if you look at his band in the video you'll notice some familar non-Heartbreakers.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 10:57 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
Nice song, but it was never a Heartbreakers song and if you look at his band in the video you'll notice some familar non-Heartbreakers.
Thanks for sleuthing this one out for us Ringangleclaw. I was just focused on Tom Petty when I put that up. I did remember thinking there were some familiar faces. Looking at the Wikipedia entry I see this about the music video: The music video, directed by David Leland, was shot on March 22 and 23, 1989 on a sound stage at Pinewood Studios and released on April 24, 1989. Traveling Wilburys bandmates George Harrison and Jeff Lynne appear in the video. Mike Campbell and Harrison's former Beatles bandmate Ringo Starr are also featured in the video[5] along with George's famous painted Stratocaster "Rocky" being played by Campbell. Starr is depicted in the video as playing the drums on the song, though in reality, drumming was performed by Phil Jones. And quote: "I Won't Back Down" is a song by American rock musician Tom Petty. It was released in April 1989 as the lead single from his first solo album, Full Moon Fever. The song was written by Petty and Jeff Lynne, his writing partner for the album. It reached number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 and topped the Album Rock Tracks chart for five weeks, starting the album's road to multi-platinum status. So whoever posted the video on Vimeo in December, 2009 titled it incorrectly. Maybe they should retitle it Tom Petty and Friends--I Won't Back Down. Did you enjoy the stadium clip? ~z

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 7:23 pm 
Previously unreleased track here will bring a huge grin and a tear for fans. clown.gif bawl.gif Keep a Little Soul

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 8:30 pm 
He created some amazing music. Sad.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 8:41 pm 
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers 1977
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers 1977
^ way mo' betta full screen. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Oct 01, 2018 9:26 pm 
“Gainesville”, one of the outtakes released on “American Treasure” was released as a music video today:

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Oct 14, 2018 4:21 pm 
Yet another "new" treasure he left us. Walkin' From the Fire

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)