Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fire in the Teanaway 10/6/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 6:03 pm 
A person may have a right to target shoot, but why would the 2nd Amendment protect them from criminal negligence if they start a wildfire? I don't see it. I have a right to play with matches, but I don't have a right to commit arson.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 9:29 pm 
Hypothetically - You own a shotgun and like to shoot skeet. Can be much more fun than trap shooting. More of a challenge and more realistic anyway. So you go out in your field and have someone start throwing up the clay pigeons. After a couple shots someone notices a bit of smoke where your shells have been landing. You try and put it out but it's too dry and it's getting away from you. So now for the question - Would you have thought that your shells after being ejected from your semi-automatic shotgun would have or could have started a fire? Might be the very last thing to come into your head.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 am 
Arson was the wrong word to use in my post above. No intent, but starting a fire accidentally is still starting a fire. I don't understand why a person would not be considered liable if their activity is directly responsible for a fire starting.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 am 
The kids playing with fireworks down in the gorge were not trying to start a fire either...

Chico

Chico
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Arson was the wrong word to use in my post above. No intent, but starting a fire accidentally is still starting a fire. I don't understand why a person would not be considered liable if their activity is directly responsible for a fire starting.
DNR will be the lead agency to determine fault.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 12:01 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Because accidents happen, nothing is truly safe. A logger started a fire when his feller buncher caught on fire. The ignition was behind a plate that was not easily removed, in the hydraulics. He had a fire extinguisher on board but had no access to the area. The fire grew and since he was working in mostly dead bug kill, he bailed and got his nearby cat up the hill and put a line around it. The fire was up the hill too far for his fire trailer capability. Luck was with him, there was a cloudburst keeping the fire size down to a couple acres. He had all the contractually required fire prevention equipment and documentation to prove it and was not held liable. In this case, it was called an operations fire, not a negligent fire. Crews showed up eventually and mopped up the area.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 1:51 pm 
Evidently "modern man" has become incredibly dumbed down when it comes to fire. As a result of living a life where "heat" comes from turning on a thermostat or a stove and "light" comes from flipping a switch. So they blunder about their world lacking situational awareness of this one of the four "elements" (earth, air, and water being the other three.) Same thing applies to food, because food comes from a Safeway, but I digress and am totally guilty of thread drift.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 2:11 pm 
Chico wrote:
Would you have thought that your shells after being ejected from your semi-automatic shotgun would have or could have started a fire?
Good question. After doing several Google searches on "are shotgun shells hot when ejected?" it would appear that regular users of firearms are aware of the temperatures of ejected brass casings, but I did not find any mention of ejected shotgun shells per se. One would need to address the question to someone more conversant on the subject - I am certainly no expert when it comes to firearms. I am fully aware of how hot the heat shields can get on the bottoms of the catalytic converters under trucks, however, and their potential for starting grass fires in open fields. (Go ahead - ask me how I know this.) AlpineRose's comment about "situational awareness" is really the crux of it. What is the "reasonable expectation"?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 2:35 pm 
I can't recall having ever heard of a spent shotgun shell starting a brush fire. Sure this guy wasn't smoking or something and dropped his cigarette? Oh, and the 2A has nothing to do with that. wink.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 2:37 pm 
Thank you Dave. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 3:26 pm 
Maybe it was something coming out of the business end of the shotgun that caught the grass on fire. Sorry about my previous post, I thought it was stupid enough to be obvious satire. I forgot that satire is indistinguishable from reality these days, rendering it ineffective.

Chico

Chico
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 5:57 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
Sure this guy wasn't smoking or something and dropped his cigarette?
We'll just have to be patient for the final report.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 6:00 pm 
Chico wrote:
So now for the question - Would you have thought that your shells after being ejected from your semi-automatic shotgun would have or could have started a fire? Might be the very last thing to come into your head.
Today on my lunch break, I watched a driver hit a pedestrian who already had a broken leg. It was horrific and I want to cry just thinking about it. I stuck around as a witness and gave as much help as I was able to. Anyway, the point is, the very last thing to come into the driver's head was that a human might be where she was pointing her car. Being stupid and oblivious doesn't absolve you of responsibility for your actions.

Chico

Chico
PostSat Oct 28, 2017 5:01 pm 
Unconfirmed but I asked and was told they were shooting at tannerite (exploding targets).

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 28, 2017 6:52 pm 
^ why is that stuff legal to purchase in this country? dizzy.gif .... and you can't pack more than 4 ounces of shampoo when you get on an airplane? huh.gif Exploding target pegged as trigger for 46,000-acre Sawmill Fire