Forum Index > Trip Reports > Harts Pass 10/7-8/2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 2:23 pm 
10/7 6828 / 7280+ / 6323 10/8 7560+(Syncline) / 7370 / Tatie / 7405 I don't think the larches were so nice when I went because of the amount of snow on the trees... Original plan was to do Pesayten Peak and Buckskin Ridge. Well, upon reaching Harts Pass, and seeing about 2 inches of new snow on the road to Slate Peak in my minivan (the Honda CRV does not have all wheel drive anymore) I did not think I could make it coming down from the Slate Peak road because the minivan can not handle snow on the downhill at even a decent amount. So I had to make alternate plans. First went up easily on peak 6828 right there at Harts Pass...and guess who I run into at the top???? Eric E! He decided at the last minute to try to find me...and our luck found each other. We went on to do peak 7280 further SE down the road and peak 6323. The weather was slightly snowing, definitely cloudy....but no rain. Way cool we got to see each other and found each other on top of a minor peak. Since I had the next day free...what to do? I went up 4 peaks south of Harts Pass. 7560+(Syncline)...I have no idea where that name came from...it is just on my list. And then over to 7370 which there is somewhat of a trail on the west side of Tatie, up Tatie, and then over to Peak 7405. Mostly cloudy day again...no snow showers, and very little wind. Upon my exit to the trailhead south of Harts Pass I was surprised at the amount of people utilizing the PCT at this time of year--which was wonderful to see. 6 hours round trip for me. Road to Harts Pass is in excellent shape in my opinion.
harts pass
harts pass

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 2:38 pm 
Stefan wrote:
7560+(Syncline)...I have no idea where that name came from...
Quote:
On a geologic map, synclines are recognized as a sequence of rock layers that grow progressively younger, followed by the youngest layer at the fold's center or hinge, and by a reverse sequence of the same rock layers on the opposite side of the hinge. If the fold pattern is circular or elongate circular the structure is a basin. Folds typically form during crustal deformation as the result of compression that accompanies orogenic mountain building.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncline Here's a pic when it's not in the clouds. I think the feature described is present on this mountain.
Syncline Mtn.
Syncline Mtn.

iron

iron
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 pm 
some nice moody pictures there!

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 3:24 pm 
i knew Stefan was at least a half hour ahead of me, so when I drove to the slate pk TH and didn't see any footprints in the snow, I figured he had changed plans. so, it was a big surprise that his backup plans were the same as mine. very funny to see him at the pk above hart's pass! it was good to get out with Stefan and tag some easy peaks up.gif glad you had a very productive 2nd day in the area.

Eric Eames
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Oct 13, 2017 8:24 am 
Stefan wrote:
Now that is pretty! up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Oct 13, 2017 11:01 am 
How fun to run into a friend in an unexpected place. Nice you two had each other's company.
RichP wrote:
Here's a pic when it's not in the clouds. I think the feature described is present on this mountain.
Syncline Mtn.
Syncline Mtn.
Yep, you can see the syncline on the upper right atop the ridge in middle distance. Good ob, Rich. Some think that a syncline, being a structural downfold, might always be in a topographic "down" (commonly called a valley 😁). But structural forms most commonly develop beneath Earth's surface, independent of surface topography above, and it is very common to find synclines on ridges or anticlines in valleys after uplift and erosion exposes the deformational structures.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still