Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snowy Enchantments, 10/10~13
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kenji

Kenji
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 12:54 pm 
Won a core permit for the coldest week so far this season, mid 20sF during day chilled down to 20F! I invited my daughters and their friends and mine, 6 of us headed up on Tue, overcast with some showers to Culchuck lake. Saw one group camping by the lake. We settled on 3" of snow by the shore below the A. Pass.
Some snow on the way up to the Aasgard Pass, most of us used spikes for the upper half. The temp was probably in the upper 20s early AM.
We were well prepared for the cold except our feet. Hiking in the snow got our toes pretty cold, I wasn't used to that since I'm usually wearing ski boots when snowy. The upper basin looked more desolate with some patchy snow and frozen lakes.
A little tricky getting down to Inspiration Lake, but nice to see more colors.
We set up our camp by the Perfection Lake, nobody else around. In fact we saw only a few all day long.
Cold night to test my willpower to leave my bag.
We were determined for larching despite the weather, headed down to Shield Lake. Getting off Prusik pass was a little laborious.
Larch forest:
Shield Lake:
We then headed up Cannon part way, saving the Plateau for a next time, stopped at the lakelets for another lunch break.
Back at the Pass, made a quick visit to the Genome tarn, hiked down to Leprechaun Lake back to our camp.
Colder night, I ventured out to the shore again.
We were prepared to spend another night, but decided to head out or to camp some along. The infamous rebarred rock step required some focus, but wasn't too bad.
The wind over Vivian was still very cold, but the rest of hike below was very pleasant.
Decided to hike out all the way.
A fantastic trip despite the cold snowy weather, always fun to take kids along even they are all grown up. More pics here.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MattP.

MattP.
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 1:16 pm 
Wonderful pictures!!! up.gif up.gif

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 7:20 pm 
Kenji wrote:
WOW!!!! All of your pictures are incredible but this absolutely convinces me that I'm going to keep putting in for that permit. Amazing. What kind of cold weather gear did you bring?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 8:00 pm 
Great pics/trip kenj. Hey, how was negotiating that re-bar section in between Leprechaun and Vivienne? It must have been slick?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 8:53 pm 
Look at that freaky gnarled and twisty pine! I sorta don't often look at Enchantment photos anymore. I know that sounds stupid as hell, but there are so many... HOWEVER, yours are unique; the clouds, the composition - everything. So cold, that would kill me. I enjoyed seeing this report. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
pula58

pula58
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 9:01 pm 
Now that's living!

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 10:34 pm 
Yep. Everything Kim Brown said above. I decided years ago I would skip the Enchantments. You have forced me to rescind that decision.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 6:58 am 
Goodonya & the kids for getting (and staying) out in mixed weather. You're a more determined night photog than I, and it paid off again up.gif It all added up and certainly made for some very nice and more interesting pictures than the standard.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 3:15 pm 
up.gif Very nice job capturing the atmosphere of the hike! I like how even the photos in sub-optimal conditions are great (foggy etc). Looks nice & chilly smile.gif

Kenji

Kenji
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 9:30 pm 
Thanks all, the condition we had seems better than this week after all.
HermitThrush wrote:
What kind of cold weather gear did you bring?
Basically winter gear like gloves, down jacket, 20F bag, high top boots, etc. though not many gaiters. Some kind of warm boot cover would have been nice.
Backpacker Joe wrote:
how was negotiating that re-bar section in between Leprechaun and Vivienne? It must have been slick?
There was not much new snow and the most was on dry granite. Still required some caution, we wished they had made those re-bars a little higher.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 am 
Really gorgeous pictures, Kenji.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien