Forum Index > Partners > Car and companion to Mt Si in november
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Robarto
Aus-abroad

Robarto
Aus-abroad
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 1:26 am 
Hi everyone, I'm from australia and would love to trail Mount Si on November 17th (Friday). Super specific so fingers crossed someone could show me how it's done smile.gif Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 1:44 pm 
Mt. Si is a very, very popular local hike frequently completed by hikers of all ability levels. It's not a difficult hike at all, just 8 miles round trip. Steep and uphill, but the trail is very, very easy to follow and nice and wide. You emerge out of the tree line into a large boulder field, which you cross over to a very visible trail that leads to the bottom of the final scramble to the summit, locally known as "the haystack", and which is more of a rock climb than a hike. It's steep in spots and if it's wet it could be difficult or dangerous depending on your experience. If you have any hiking or rock climbing experience at all, this should be very easy for you. If you have hiking skills or are in good shape, you can easily make it up to the boulder field where there's nice places to sit and look over the valley. The view really isn't all that different up at the true summit. On a nice day you can see Glacier Peak and Mt. Baker from the summit. I actually recommend against going up the final scramble to the summit if the conditions aren't exactly right and you don't have any experience. You'll want to watch the weather carefully in November. It could have snowed, or be snowing, up there at that time of year. If you do attempt it bring warm clothes and the proper equipment to handle snow, and definitely stay away from the true summit.

Robarto
Aus-abroad

Robarto
Aus-abroad
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 2:23 am 
Thanks for the time to reply and help mate. Copy all of that. I guess it is pretty difficult to plan with how the weather is. Once i arrive in seattle several days prior i might speak with some locals around if the weather and conditions are good or not. If Mt Si isn't good to go that week what would you suggest i do that shouldn't become too difficult and can be enjoyed weather your wet and cold or not? Thanks

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Sep 24, 2017 9:39 pm 
Will you have a car, or are you limited to public transportation? What is your time like - do you have all day to do a hike, or just morning, etc. No need to do a lot of planning ahead on a trail near Seattle. There are many to choose from; if you have all day, there are lots of other good choices. But if you're limited, then Mt. Si is perfect. Each car for the parking lot of Mt. Si requires a $10 per day state recreation parking pass. They sell them at the parking area of Mt Si via a vending machine. Other trails may require a federal recreation pass ($5 per day) with no vending machine (but can be purchased on line and printed). Contact here again closer to the day. If the weather is good and clear and you have more time, there are more options with nice views. If not, and Mt Si it is, then that's great, too.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 9:30 am 
Robarto wrote:
Thanks for the time to reply and help mate. Copy all of that. I guess it is pretty difficult to plan with how the weather is. Once i arrive in seattle several days prior i might speak with some locals around if the weather and conditions are good or not. If Mt Si isn't good to go that week what would you suggest i do that shouldn't become too difficult and can be enjoyed weather your wet and cold or not? Thanks
That's difficult to say because weather that time of year can be unpredictable. I would say check out the Tiger Mountain State Forest complex.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:59 pm 
Oops I see you want a companion with car on a Friday.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 7:56 pm 
Robarto, do you have some flexibility in the day you can go hiking during your visit to Seattle? Or does it need to be exactly Nov 17? Concerning weather, usually it will either be raining/snowing or it will be nice. If it is rainy, I wouldn't do something like Mt Si. The forest there is just not that pretty, and the views are not great. The view is somewhat okay when it is very clear, but on clear days you can do much nicer hikes. I'd go to a truly nice rainforest hike if it is rainy (Middle Fork Snoqualmie, NF Sauk, Baker Lake, Suiattle River, Hoh etc). If you're flexible on when you go out during your visit, and if you're lucky that there is a clear day, then I'd suggest to plan for something much nicer, for example a snowshoe trip to Artist Point (two examples from last year: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bravenboer/sets/72157662266178086 and https://www.flickr.com/photos/bravenboer/sets/72157661880557195 ). If you really need to plan the day in advance, then that will be hard though. If you're flexible, then maybe I can help out with such a trip. I don't want to commit to a specific day like Nov 17, because it's not really worth going out if it is raining or snowing that day.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 8:11 pm 
Don't over think this. Just go to Mount Si as you have already decided under any weather conditions and enjoy it. It's simple. It's good. It's a challenge. The view is plenty good and so is the forest. The rocky summit block is a nice additional challenge conditions permitting, but you can drop this and still get some views and have a great hike. If this gets you excited for more great. You are always welcome to come back and enjoy Washington's public lands.

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 11:20 am 
Trail Pass needed?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 11:33 am 
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 9:17 am 
There's a vending machine at the Mt Si trail head and you can get a Day Pass there.

yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Nov 01, 2017 4:09 pm 
Pinpoint weather forecast at this link (closest elevation point on forecast map is almost 600' lower than summit elevation so little colder/snowier than forecast) - http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-121.734557447052&lat=47.50581043653739#.WfpRD0yZM6c Map of the hiking trail network here - http://www.dnr.wa.gov/geo/mountsi.pdf