Forum Index > Photography Talk > Adobe ends perpetual licencing of Lightroom, goes full SaaS for all future releases
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 6:10 pm 
https://www.dpreview.com/news/9793353649/adobe-launches-all-new-cloud-based-lightroom-cc-rebrands-old-application-lightroom-classic Lightroom 6 is the last perpetual licence version available, and will not receive updates beyond the end of the year. Additionally, they've further segmented the Lightroom product(s) into two different pieces of software going forward: "Lightroom Classic CC", which is essentially Lightroom 7, and what they are now calling "Lightroom CC" which is a more stripped down version that's compatible with mobile, tablet, and desktop devices, and has built in - mandatory - cloud functionality to keep your catalog and files in sync across all devices. Classic CC has all the refinements of Lightroom 6 plus the new features added in ACR for 2018, which look pretty sweet, plus improved performance, but it's subscription only now. Lightroom CC seems to (so far) lack a ton of functionality that all previous versions of Lightroom had, and I'm still struggling to figure out who exactly this product is being aimed at. Either way, if you don't want to pay for a subscription and you need a better RAW converter in the future than the one that comes with your camera(s), you'll have to look elsewhere than Adobe.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
huron

huron
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 7:42 pm 
DxO, Capture 1, Affinity... lots of choices now. I've been satisfied with DxO and am learning Affinity which has some good stacking and composite features. Adobe is on my "will never give another dollar" list along with Comcast/Xfinity and Garmin.

DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 9:21 am 
i am a subscriber to lightroom and photoshop. I installed the update to Classic CC this morning and boy is it fast! I don't think I would ever go to the cloud based lightroom. I am guessing it will be 2-3 years before Adobe trys to force us all off Classic CC to the cloud... Guess I should start looking for a replacement. --pat

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 6:44 pm 
Affinity has a ton of promise, and they are rumored to be working on a Lightroom killer now too. I tried Photo out and it ground to a halt on my computer, so they have some serious optimization work to do. Might give it another try after I build a new machine. I've heard it runs better on Mac than Windows.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Oct 23, 2017 2:07 pm 
I was just reading an article that explains Lightroom CC is designed for phone/tablet photo editing. i.e. for very underpowered "computers" and limited needs. Full up photoshop and lightroom got too rich for me, now that being retired severely curtailed my toy funds. I have switched over to Photoshop Elements (14) and figure on replacing it every few years for less than the subscription price of full PS and LR. Frankly, there are only a couple things I miss, and there are generally workarounds for those. They quietly left out the HDR tool in Elements, which is a bit of a bummer, but it also results in less of those extreme HDR photos that look like extreme HDR photos. I don't know if the full PS/LR has the "anti-haze" tool, which Elements has, but I find that much more useful than an HDR tool. I do wish they included HDR though. And I prefer to use my own file organization with just the standard computer file system.

friluftsliv
pcg

pcg
PostMon Oct 23, 2017 2:34 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
...if you don't want to pay for a subscription and you need a better RAW converter in the future than the one that comes with your camera(s), you'll have to look elsewhere than Adobe.
If they continue to update the free Adobe Converter then you can still use that to convert RAW files. I have LR 5, which does not support my newest camera, but I use Adobe Converter to convert those RAW files to DNG, then bring them into LR.

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 8:40 pm 
I continue to boycott subscription-based photo editing products. I have LR 4 and it continues to fulfill my needs, refining MY need to take better-thought-out images in the first place. PS Elements 9 rounds-out my needs for text additions to images.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Nov 29, 2017 12:34 pm 
I'm at a stage where I'm diving in to more and more use of LR and PS, and am appreciating the stuff in the latest upgrades. So I'd be upgrading regularly in any case, which makes me fine with spending for the subscriptions. Having been on their side of the software business I get why they want to create a steady revenue stream in exchange for steady product progress. If I were using it less I'd be a tad grumpy and would likely still be nursing along the last non-subscription versions. This does, however, open some space for upstart competitors. I hear, for instance, that Macphun is making some headway with their Luminar product, which has some of the features of both PS and LR, and is promising more in the coming year (e.g. they claim they'll have some sort of "asset management" in 2018). I've downloaded a trial version just a few days ago to at least check it out.

mike

mike
PostWed Nov 29, 2017 3:04 pm 
LR never clicked for me. v5.7 sits mostly unused. @≈$120/year an occasional use of PS just isn't worth it. For quick and easy I use Faststone. With more time I go to DxO and recently trying Affinity Photo. FWIW @$49 Affinity blows PS Elements out of the water. And for those wanting a DAM there's freebie DigiCam.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Nov 29, 2017 4:03 pm 
mike wrote:
recently trying Affinity Photo. FWIW @$49 Affinity blows PS Elements out of the water
I have PS Elements 14 and was just poking around in the reviews for Affinity. Certainly looks intriguing. Is anyone using it on a Win 10 platform? One of the major irritations I have with PS, is they basically force you to buy a new copy of their software to get a RAW converter any time you buy a new camera, and usually then find out they haven't quite gotten to the RAW converter for your camera so you have to do a special translation into their special format, THEN bring that into their RAW processing, so you end up with even more huge bloated files to deal with. I am already filling up Terrabyte drives so I don't appreciate even more bloated files for every shot.(don't even mention cloud storage...) How does Affinity handle RAW conversion and what is their way of dealing with new cameras coming on the market? Otherwise, Affinity is looking like it could be my next upgrade choice instead of PS Element 2018.

friluftsliv
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Nov 29, 2017 7:20 pm 
I tried Affinity Photo on Win 10 a couple months back, and it ran like absolute garbage (I'm running a 6-core processor with 16gb of ram, so not at all a potato machine either). It froze every time I tried to open up a raw file, took forever to load, and the adjustments lagged like crazy. Your mileage may vary. I uninstalled it after about an hour - I'll likely give it another try again after I do my next PC upgrade. It needs a lot of optimization work on Windows, but once that happens there's a good chance it'll be a legit contender against PS.

huron

huron
PostWed Nov 29, 2017 10:53 pm 
It likely didn't freeze, its just VERY slow loading RAWs. New version is better but not fully optimized and not as fast as DxO. Still, quite good once you get the image loaded. I particularly like the panorama feature which does a better job of alignment than most tools.

Canon Shooter

Canon Shooter
PostFri Dec 01, 2017 11:50 pm 
I work at a school and use LR and PS2018 most of the day with kids. Once you get the kids trained on how to import their files LR quickly becomes easy for them. On my own computer I have both 5.7 and 6. I much prefer 5.7 to 6 except when doing HDR and panos.

pcg

pcg
PostSat Dec 02, 2017 10:57 am 
Canon Shooter wrote:
I much prefer 5.7 to 6 except when doing HDR and panos.
Why do you prefer 5.7 over 6? I've been using 5.7 and was thinking of buying 6 so I don't have to use Adobe Converter to convert my raw files before bringing them into 5.7. (6 will read my raw files, but 5.7 won't.) However, that alone doesn't justify the price. I don't do HDR and I'm happy to use PS for stitching panos.

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostSat Dec 02, 2017 11:29 am 
Microsoft’s free Image Composite Editor does nice panos too