Forum Index > Gear Talk > waterproof backpack
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Oldguy

Oldguy
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 1:54 pm 
Any recommendations for a waterproof pack? I need one for WTA trail work parties this Winter. Packs are on and off frequently and stored on wet/muddy areas as work moves on. Found the Sea to Summit Force online but nothing in a store that I could look at. Need about a 40L for size.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 2:08 pm 
Simply line your existing pack with a trash compactor bag, (It's WAY more bombproof than a garbage bag) then put whatever you want to keep dry inside it. Twist the top, fold it over, done.

God, I am going to regret this someday!
Oldguy

Oldguy
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 2:36 pm 
I don't want to deal with a pack cover, pack lid and liner each time I need something out of the pack. Also a waterproof pack would be easy to rinse the dirt/mud off after a hike. For normal hiking, you idea would work fine.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 3:55 pm 
You might look into some of the dry packs for kayaking. Looks like SealLine has some and I'm sure there are others brands. They're probably not as comfortable as a regular backpack, but might be good enough for what you're doing and should be really waterproof.

Oldguy

Oldguy
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 4:20 pm 
Use to sea kayak and still have one really large dry bag with shoulder harness. The Sea to Summit Flow is more like a regular backpack with side pockets and lash points that I need. Figured there might be more options on the market but haven't found much.

Badger

Badger
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 5:36 pm 
Oldguy

Oldguy
PostWed Oct 18, 2017 7:49 pm 
Badger, thanks. That gives me some more options.

Gregory

Gregory
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 8:00 am 
https://www.google.com/search?q=drybag+back+packs&oq=drybag+back+packs&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.5706j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 https://staplesearch.com/best-waterproof-backpacks/ No experience with any of these but am going this route when fishing pack dies.I am actually drawing up plans that I might build my self.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 am 
I love my HMG 2400 cuben as mentioned by Hit the Trail previously simple and bomber sub 2lb. pack. My daughter used the 3400 on the PCT also and kept her gear dry both packs going strong mine in it's 3rd year.

Living in the Anthropocene
Ulysses

Ulysses
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 12:10 am 
A waterproof backpack for trail work is a very bad idea, especially if you plan on relying the waterproofness. I'm a professional trail worker and I don't use a waterproof pack and I work in an area that gets a ridiculous amount of rain. Use a liner in the pack. What do you need out of the pack constantly that also needs to be dry? Lunch, snacks, water bottles don't. I own an HMG but I use it for recreation, they would be very bad for trail work. They aren't durable enough and they are very expensive. I got mine almost half off and I still wouldn't. What sort of trail will you be doing? How long will you be out? What tools will you be carrying? How much weight? All of these things will matter somewhat. I would focus on a pack that carries a 45lb plus load well.

Oldguy

Oldguy
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 9:05 am 
I know that a waterproof pack like the Sea to Summit Flow 35L would solve answer my needs, for rainy conditions but not necessarily work for you. Not to go into all the details but one is that I often work in muddy trail contitions and the pack get filthy just handling it from my dirty gloves. It would help to be able to rinse it off when I get home in preparation for the following day. And yes, my work requires that I get stuff out and store things in my pack a lot. (Daily work, 25# pack load, Polaski or Grub hoe and a shovel)

Oldguy

Oldguy
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 6:15 pm 
Well, after contacting Sea to Summit, I got this info. "The fabric on the Flow pack will degrade after consistent exposure to moisture, and render the packs much less waterproof than when new." Guess that option is off the board!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 7:10 pm 
What's wrong with just using plastic bags inside your pack? I did trail work for many years with a regular backpack & sometimes plastic bags inside, most often not. Even with a waterproof pack and even with plastic sacks, stuff will get wet with the taking out and putting back in during rainy, muddy trips. Maybe shove it under a shrub at the work-site, or lay a garbage bag over it like a blanket. So the next day your pack starts out wet. No matter, it'd get wet anyway, if it's still raining. And your boots. And your pants if you don't have a dryer handy. And your leather gloves. Soon you appreciate the slightly wet fragrance wafting from your gear, that special patina the grinding mud creates.... You get used to it. And you're having fun with friends, so it's all good! The bigger issue is where are you going for dinner afterwards. hungry.gif Thanks for all your hard work! up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Oldguy

Oldguy
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 8:27 pm 
Kim, you made my day! I can tell you endured the same stuff I've been experiencing and you are right; it's just water and a bit of mud so what's the big deal. I guess I get hooked on searching for something that I don't really need and get frustrated if it isn't avaiable. Let it pour!

Ulysses

Ulysses
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 2:46 pm 
Why would you need to or want to bother cleaning your pack off for the next day of work? It will just be filthy again. Mine get covered in sweat, dirt, mud, water, wood chips, sometimes blood, and if there is an accident sometimes bar oil or chainsaw fuel. Your pack will be subject to abrasion and eventually a waterproof pack will fail and your will need to use a liner regardless. The option that makes more sense is to get a durable pack that can carry heavy loads and just line the thing with a trash compactor bag/ and or dry bags.
Quote:
And yes, my work requires that I get stuff out and store things in my pack a lot. (Daily work, 25# pack load, Polaski or Grub hoe and a shovel)
Why would you ever put a pulaski, grub hoe, or a shovel inside of a pack? That is a very bad idea. When I do carry a pulaski on my pack I just secure it via an ice axe loop or a cord attached to the ice axe loop and then secure the handle. Also if you're using a liner properly your things that you need to keep dry should still be dry. This is important and a safety issue.