Forum Index > Trip Reports > CNF HP Pre-hike, 09.02.17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 8:58 pm 
Several weeks back I scoped out a possible route up Pk. 6,299' in the Laguna Mtns., which I would later find out is supposedly the high point of the Cleveland Natl. Forest. This is a little pk. located a short distance off of the PCT south of Burnt Rancheria CG. This was a pleasant solo hike & my last one on a Saturday for awhile, as it was 1 week before the Canyoneer training class began...which is basically a class to train you to be a hike leader with some knowledge about plants/animals/rocks/Native American history, etc. Subsequently my time for writing trip reports has been reduced, as the class is quite intense. But, only another month or so to go until I graduate...if I graduate, lol. wink.gif I parked @ the day use lot @ the Burnt Rancheria CG, after paying the $5 fee & leaving the receipt on the dashboard. This fee is required regardless of whether you have a Adventure Pass. I walked on the Desert View Trail through the campground, & a few minutes later hooked up w/the PCT & turned south.
Being in the higher country, there were still many plants in bloom. flowers.gif
There is an area with nice big oak trees & some cedar trees as well. One lg. tree has a chair mounted on it. confused.gif
Chair
Chair
Chair
Chair
Woodsy section
Woodsy section
Continuing on, I found more flowers & such to photograph. peace.gif
The PCT hits a junction w/an old rd., & I veered left onto the rd. until it reached a point directly below & west of Pk. 6,999' where it looked to be a decent place to leave the trail & head up the slope. I got to a place where I was dead-ended by thick brush, so I traversed north & came across a cairn. I continued uphill a little further & it appeared as though a way could be made around the bushes, but I decided to save the last bit for another time, when I could make it one of my meetup hikes & share the experience w/others. smile.gif
I headed back down the slope to the PCT, & continued south. I wanted to go until the trees petered out & make that my turnaround point.
Just after it opened up, I found a side trail leading to a couple of open spots likely used for camping by thru hikers & took a break. up.gif
Peaceful field
Peaceful field
Break spot
Break spot
After a nice quiet break in the shade, & headed back north on the PCT. hink.gif
The wind had picked up, & back @ the CG I noticed that someone had not secured their canopy very well. dizzy.gif embarassedlaugh.gif
Whoops!
Whoops!
Another fine day in the mtns. cool.gif
Stats
Stats
Route
Route

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message