Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hokkaido, Japan
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MikeW

MikeW
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 4:07 pm 
While not the Pacific Northwest, I've seen people post reports from Hokkaido so thought I'd add mine to the mix in case people are thinking of going there. We had a family wedding in Niseko, so thought we'd add some hiking to the mix. Fall is an amazing time of year to go to Hokkaido, with fewer crowds and amazing colors. Here are a few of the highlights: Mt Iwaonupuri: Near the Goshiki Onsen, this was a nice first hike there. We actually did this one by mistake, thinking we were heading up Mt Annapuri. However, it was a really enjoyable hike, topping out at 1309 meters and offering nice views of the Valley. Saw lots of other hikers on the trail, as well.
DayoneHike
DayoneHike
Mt Usu: A beautiful area that is a unesco geo heritage site. a nice ropeway brings you up to a beautiful view, and then you can hike for a while along a ridge, seeing the steaming craters of the volcano as you go.
MtUsuhhike1
MtUsuhhike1
igokudani, or "Hell Valley:" Outside of Noboribetsu Onsen is a really amazing area with easy walking/hiking trails that give you great views of the sulfurous ponds and even has an area where you can soak your feet.
HellValley_vertical
HellValley_vertical
Noboribetsu
Noboribetsu
Mt Kurodake: Part of Daisetzusan National Park, this was a great hike that used a ropeway for part of the way, and then about an hour or so hike to the top. Great views. Being fall, it snowed on us for part of the hike down.
MtKurodate_B&W
MtKurodate_B&W
While Hokkaido is a long trip from Seattle, and I never thought I'd go there, it was a great place to visit and offered great hiking(and ideas to return in the future for other hikes, as well as skiing).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 5:42 pm 
Did you partake of any of the onsen?

MikeW

MikeW
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 6:31 pm 
Didn't see any bears at all, and yes to the onsen--the one we went to in Noboribetsu was really nice.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 9:19 pm 
Thanks for posting these. I grew up in Japan, but only got to Hokkaido twice. The Japanese have inhabited their island in dense numbers for so long that almost every spot where a trail could go is either well developed for recreation or logged. I was reminded of how they do things when I went to Switzerland, where it's similar but with a different cultural twist.

iron

iron
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 10:06 pm