Forum Index > Trail Talk > Well that's that, hopefully we won't lose trails /roads to rainfall
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 3:34 pm 
Hmmmm. They usually overestimate this so we shall see.
raww1_hg
raww1_hg

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 4:42 pm 
Stream gage observations and forecasts. Click any gage and then follow the link.
View larger size in new window

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 6:55 am 
The Cowlitz prediction has been upped a few feet since I posted. I suspect the bridge leading out to the Cispus area will be cut off for a few hours. Just a heads up if anybody is planning on going there in the deluge.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 10:11 pm 
TANW1 Forecast
TANW1 Forecast
This was the TANW1 gage forecast for the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River as of 9pm on Friday, 10/20/2017. If the projected crest of 23,000+ cfs actually happens Saturday night this would be in the top 20 high water events since this gage started measuring in 1960. I don't think it's realistic for the river to rise that fast so we'll see how this pans out.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 8:03 am 
treeswarper wrote:
At least the soils are not saturated, yet. up.gif
Been doing yard work, removing the front lawn and replacing it with something more natural. when I pull up the sod I find the driest, dustiest dirt ive ever seen. crazy that with how much rain we have had it is still that dry so near the surface. wish someone could apply this tech to some outdoor clothing so I could go hiking out on days like today. p.s. rain barrels held the green house down in the first rounds of wind.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 8:07 am 
yikes!!! looks like our house is in the black on that map GB. I bet we hit the high end estimates. Still haven't gotten a rain gauge. going out in a minute. I'll place a few empty buckets and stuff around and see how much they fill.

gb

gb
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 9:00 am 
ale_capone wrote:
when I pull up the sod I find the driest, dustiest dirt ive ever seen. crazy that with how much rain we have had it is still that dry so near the surface. wish someone could apply this tech to some outdoor clothing so I could go hiking out on days like today.
There is an easy solution to your rain gear question. Just build yourself a suit out of sod. wink.gif

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 10:48 am 
Brilliant!! having silly visuals. clown.gif I meant the dust though. stuff seems completely waterproof. maybe like a dust puffy instead of down.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 12:04 pm 
I am curious as to how much rain will tumble down here. My "official" rain measurer froze and broke so I'm down to a slightly tapered margarine tub. Besides the slight taper, one must suspect that various critters have sipped some of the water, but it'll have to do. Remind me to check it tomorrow. I emptied the hot tub about two weeks ago and left it uncovered for the new owner to come and pick it up. It now has a foot of water in it. I'm thinking that's my monthly total so far. smile.gif

gb

gb
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 4:42 pm 
Between 2 and 3pm Mt. Hood recorded .57" of rain with 1.08" in two hours with the temperature up to 40F. Paradise has just increased to .37" of wet snow/rain in the past hour with the temperature at 34F. Mt. Hood telemetry gives a view of what is coming. BTW Mission Ridge webcam looks like 5-6" of new snow thus far.

Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 4:50 pm 
DOT is closing Chinook Pass for the night here in a few minutes. We'll see how bad it floods the creeks over here. There was snow all the way down to the 2500' level this morning. I suspect Rattlesnake Creek will be pretty high.

Have I offended you today?
iron

iron
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 10:04 pm 
Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 11:11 pm 
Seeing on Facebook of distressed PCT hikers. With how hard it's raining at my house, there's no doubt a few of them are getting soaked tonight.

Have I offended you today?
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 5:22 am 
It sounded like a wild night. I slept with the window open so I could hear it. The cottage cheese tub is almost full. The power must've flashed off because there were blinking clocks this morning. Now we wait to see what the river and creeks are doing. Just read on a county website that Skate Cr and Hwy 7 have washouts this morning.

gb

gb
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 8:04 am 
24 hour rainfall totals run from 2.5" at Mt. Baker to 4-3/4" at Stevens to 5.6" at Paradise to 8.4" at Mt. Hood. The Olympics look to have had around 4" of rain.