Forum Index > Trail Talk > 2017 Calendar Social / Homeless Gear Drive / Calendar Contest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki

wiki
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 10:04 am 
I am planning to attend: Tom, Nancyann (2, almond apple cake, paper plates, cups, utensils), RichP, JimK, Damian (baked beans), GranolaGirl (maybe), Schroder, Pyrites (main dish), BarbE (main dish-Lasagne) marydave(2 - green salad). snowdog, joker, Scrooge and Larch (spaghetti, again (I hope), Snuffy (appetizer), Hiker Mama (chili and maybe dessert), Radka & Chris (apple strudel), Ski (pie), RockShadow (salad-probably warm potato salad), Kenji (3, rice dish+); Cascadetraverser (2, sandwiches), Triciaann (dessert), Ancient Ambler (appetizer), raising3hikers (appetizer), Hanzsek (appetizer - chicken satay), You can order a calendar here from mixbook. If you just want 1 calendar use coupon code REFER2017 to get the cost down to $10.98 (11x8.5" calendar) or $22.98 (14x11" calendar) via budget shipping (upgrade shipping if you need it by Christmas). Reserved a 2018 Calendar for pickup at the social: 11x8.5: Schroder (tbd) 14x11": Cascadetraverser (tbd) Social: Friday, Dec 8, 7-10 PM at www.maltbyclub.org (map) The homeless gear drive is completely optional. The need is for used packs, sleeping bags, tents, tarps, ground pads, and coats. If you have used boots, bring em along- we'll find a home for them. You can bring these things to the social, or contact Damian or Kim Brown by PM and we'll arrange to pick these things up. Receipts will be available but will require an email exchange w/Facing Homelessness. If you have questions about Facing Homelessness Seattle you can check them out on the web, or feel free to contact Damian. In addition to helping out with some basic needs they are very involved in sustainable solutions to Seattle's homeless problem especially housing.

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:06 am (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 11:17 am 
I was talking to Tom this morning about this year's calendar contest, and he suggested we start a calendar social thread also. Any ideas on a location and preferred dates for this year? Last year, Matt Lemke (thank you very much!) arranged for the use of the Kent Masonic Hall, and Barb E and company (thank you very much!) worked with Matt and Tom on setting things up. I believe a good time was had by all who attended. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 8:38 pm 
I don't have a specific suggestion but it would be nice to have a place toward the North end of Seattle this year.

Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostSat Oct 21, 2017 7:54 am 
I second the more northern location. Living near Index makes for quite a drive. Live every day like you will die to-marrow: For someday that will be true.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
Damian

Damian
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 9:51 am 
Thanks to Nancyann for getting this started. We have decided to include a gear drive for the homeless as part of the event this year. Kim Brown and I will be coordinating this part. There is a huge need in the community right now for bags, tents, warm coats, tarps, packs, and ground pads. Many of us long time hikers have several items in our closets that would qualify (I know I do). I have coordinated with the leadership of Facing Homelessness, a community organized 501c3 non-profit that provides basic needs for the homeless from their office in the U District. They are very excited about this and will take all of the above items we can collect for immediate distribution. So start rummaging through your closets and pile up those old heavy synthetic bags, external frame packs and Jansport tents you no longer need. We'll have fun with this. More soon!

Yet

Yet
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 10:35 am 
Thank you, Damian and Kim, for coordinating the homeless gear drive. wub.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 11:14 am 
We've looked at many venues and options for this year's social, and one that is affordable and further north for those who weren't able to make the Kent social last year is the Maltby Community Center, a couple of blocks from the Paradise Road exit off Highway 522. There is only one weekday date available, Friday evening, December 8. Feedback appreciated on this choice! We need to decide fairly quickly, before this option is gone. smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 12:07 pm 
Many thanks to Nancyann for putting in the hard work to research venues. In terms of northern locations there isn't much available for rental in December so we need to reserve soon. Looks like a reasonable venue. http://www.maltbyclub.org/ Google Maps Location

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 12:25 pm 
58 miles from my driveway.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 12:26 pm 
Nice location (and great work on the gear drive - will do some closet cleaning...). If that venue won't work due to date or whatever, ping me and I'll check on the Grange hall down in the Hollywood area of Woodinville (next to all the wineries and near Red Hook) - I think it would be plenty big enough and it appears to not be getting a ton of use. I'm guessing it's cheap too... Edited to add - here's a link with rate and capacity info and photos, in case this is helpful. https://woodinvillewinecountry.com/sammamish-valley-grange/

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 12:59 pm 
Ski wrote:
58 miles from my driveway.
Just enough time for the pies to cool.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 1:08 pm 
Perfect up.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 1:21 pm 
Tom wrote:
Just enough time for the pies to cool.
Funny you should say that.... I learned the hard way about transporting pies right out of the oven a few years ago when I hauled eight berry pies up to the Clearwater Family Reunion. The vibrations from three-and-a-half-hour drive caused the hot pie filling to shake the top crusts loose, and by the time I got them up there the tops were saturated with berry pie filling. They were still tasty, but they looked like hell. They have to cool down for at least an hour or two before they can be transported in the back of my truck. Let's hope I don't have a tooth break again like last year. huh.gif If I may make a suggestion: Can we get the lunar phases printed on the calendar? (Full moon, new moon, etc.?) Not that I have any luck planning trips around celestial events, but it saves me the trouble of having to pencil them in.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Songs2

Songs2
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 2:09 pm 
@joker: With regard to the Grange, are tables on premises (I didn't see any in the photos) or would they need to be rented separately and trucked in? Thanks.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 4:08 pm 
Songs2 wrote:
@joker: With regard to the Grange, are tables on premises (I didn't see any in the photos) or would they need to be rented separately and trucked in? Thanks.
I don't know. I've seen tables in there when passing by, but have never done an event there. My bet is that they have them but are stored in a side room. I'd be glad to call and check if the folks doing the planning would like to consider this venue. I have no idea how the prices quoted compare to other venues under consideration...