Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 23, 2017 10:19 am 
Ski wrote:
Somewhere, some time ago, in some documentary video, I listened to Itzhak Perlman refer to his instrument as a fiddle. I would posit that even in polite company, both terms are correct.
On that day, he was using strangs on it. Not strings. Got it yet? (hint: A fiddle teacher from the hills of North Caroling tells this joke)

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 23, 2017 10:28 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Steel drums?
Sure, all fine and well, but who are you going to get to haul them? I would think the ultra-light hikers would want to go with something like the tried-and-true wax-paper-and-comb kazoo. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostMon Oct 23, 2017 10:48 am 
pcg wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
What is, or isn't, a appropriate instrument to play at sunrise on a mountain summit?
If you hike into the wilderness to experience nature, then I think the only appropriate instruments are those nature usually provides. A morning bird song perhaps? smile.gif
I was half joking, my banjo is heavy and would kind of be a pain in the butt to hike with. I do often carry a harmonica with me but almost never take it out, and am very conscious of when and where I do it. I actually carry it more to pass the time away if I get lost and make noise that someone could possibly hear to locate me. What's very clear is that the original poster are conscious of the wishes of many of us to listen to nature and plan their hikes and film times accordingly, and for that I completely and totally commend them. Well done.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 23, 2017 11:17 am 
That's really cool. It must be chilly at first light on a mountain top wearing only a sleeveless recital dress, that's some dedication.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 23, 2017 11:48 am 
There's this banjo. Or I imagine a homemade cigar box banjo might be light.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Traildoggie

Traildoggie
PostMon Oct 23, 2017 2:34 pm 
we hike early and want to hear the sounds of nature, or silence. Trails are much busier than they used to be and even loud talking is intrusive. we would be unhappy at an involuntary serenade by anyone else's music regardless of how good the intentions.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Oct 23, 2017 9:55 pm 
There is probably no one that dislikes - no, loathes - the ceaseless cacophony produced by hoomans more than I do. Anytime, anywhere. But especially on the trail. The blah, blah, blah-ing of groups of two or more. The s**t that emanates from their gizmos. The drunks proving "I shout, therefore I am". The ugly, ugly buzz of snowmachines, ATVs, motorized trail bikes. (ok, these next two are not on the trail.) Those morons that lock their cars in the middle of a quiet night with those chirping devices. Air conditioners producing mid-frequency whines that drill into your brain. And so on. But. What these musicians do is enchanting. Just thinking about it almost makes me cry. In the same realm as bird song. Whale song. As a most definitely a not-a-morning person, it would be a miracle if I ever ran into them. But I like to think how it would feel if I did. Just the idea of it stimulates the pleasure centers of my brain. Sounds of nature, indeed.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 4:17 am 
I seen these MM's on a local television show and thought it was beautiful. I would be more then thrilled to accidentally catch a summit serenade. Keep it up.. lovely! But i dont know, alpinerose. I think I could give you a run. I listened to some guy loudly blather about his neighbours building code problems at Valhalla lake. Then a dog barked, and he switched to how annoying it was to hear dogs barking in the wilderness... I really wish I had a drone to drone them out. Kind of reminds me somewhat of the Bulger Lister that takes photos in her dress.. I forget her name( she just finished last year I think)but the ones from fernow are stunning.

Sourstraw

Sourstraw
PostWed Oct 25, 2017 9:00 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
That's really cool. It must be chilly at first light on a mountain top wearing only a sleeveless recital dress, that's some dedication.
It's freezing! I recently purchased a long sleeved dress in order to accommodate the temperatures, and I have been using fingerless gloves as well. Cold hands is definitely the biggest problem of all, as it makes it very hard to feel the strings (strangs). There is no physical difference between a violin and a fiddle - only the way in which they are played ... and, in fact, many classical musicians will refer to their instrument as a "fiddle" - the two terms are relatively interchangeable. I will say that this has been a very emotional experience for me. I started playing violin when I was 4 years old, inspired by my grandmother (who was also a violinist). The last song that we ever played together was the Ashokan Farewell - which is the first song that I played in the mountains. I perform on her violin, which I inherited from her when she passed away a few years ago. So, this has been a beautiful expression of the two things that mean the most to me - music and the mountains.
edited (29 of 29)
edited (29 of 29)
(photo on the rocks by Rose Freeman, Piano) Thank you all for the positive, supportive comments - greatly appreciated!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 pm 
hope you both keep up the good work. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Oct 25, 2017 11:03 pm 
One of my neater sunny days in the hills was getting off the trail a hundred yards to eat lunch. My Dad and I listened to someone who’d gone a little ways further play their autoharp. Just ate our sandwiches and enjoyed everything thing. Play when you’d like. I’d consider myself lucky to hear you en plein air.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Oct 26, 2017 9:22 pm 
These videos are inspiring! I'm really excited to see where you ladies are taking your music. Coincidentally, Sauk, Dickerman and Pilchuck are my pages on Summitpost so I decided to feature your videos there for some extra exposure. Where will you play next? How much do tickets cost?

Sourstraw

Sourstraw
PostFri Oct 27, 2017 3:02 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
These videos are inspiring! I'm really excited to see where you ladies are taking your music. Coincidentally, Sauk, Dickerman and Pilchuck are my pages on Summitpost so I decided to feature your videos there for some extra exposure. Where will you play next? How much do tickets cost?
Thanks so much - I saw the videos on Summit Post and it made me so happy! We don't usually announce where we are going to play, since it is usually so spontaneous.... BUT, if you send me a FB message I might be able to give you a few clues as to when/where it might happen. smile.gif You can find me on FB - Anastasia Allison. Feel free to send me a message! Lucky for you, there is no cost of admission. smile.gif You just have to be willing to wake up at the crack of dawn and climb a peak - which I know you are willing to do.