Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fangs of the Tamarack, redux
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Oct 30, 2017 7:28 am 
Tamarack ("larch" to you flatlanders winksmile.gif ) were in full glory Sunday. I caught this image while sitting at the top of an unnamed ridge up on the Taneum. Following an elk trail brought me to this place, where there was no wind, and only the sound of trees growing. It's been my experience that some of the best trails are not man made, but come from years upon years of travel by elk or deer. They know the routes, and the quiet places.
HIGH LONESOME 2-17
HIGH LONESOME 2-17

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 30, 2017 7:53 am 
I'll agree with elk making a good trail crew. There was one trail that the only hint of it not being people made was no evidence of logging out. Now, if we could get the elk to saw out some of the blowdown....

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Oct 30, 2017 8:09 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I'll agree with elk making a good trail crew. There was one trail that the only hint of it not being people made was no evidence of logging out. Now, if we could get the elk to saw out some of the blowdown....
rotf.gif rotf.gif ykm.gif rotf.gif rotf.gif ykm.gif It'd sure solve my firewood concerns!

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Oct 30, 2017 8:14 am 
Tamarack grows west of the Rockies, primarily in Canada. Western Larch and Alpine Larch are not Tamaracks.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostMon Oct 30, 2017 9:32 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
It's been my experience that some of the best trails are not man made, but come from years upon years of travel by elk or deer.
^ Quite true, although I have found that their destinations are not always the same as mine, at times leading me off into Never-Never Land. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 30, 2017 9:40 am 
Schroder wrote:
Tamarack grows west of the Rockies, primarily in Canada. Western Larch and Alpine Larch are not Tamaracks.
I think we know that. In many small localities, Tamarack refers to Larch. That's just the way it is. I do know know what the elk call it. I know that elk call cedar seedlings----fud. smile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 30, 2017 9:42 am 
Ski wrote:
Quite true, although I have found that their destinations are not always the same as mine, at times leading me off into Never-Never Land. wink.gif
I have followed a few that went right where I wanted to go (for work purposes). I have also found that Slow Elk trails can come in handy if one can dodge the plops along the way. Those trails make walking on a side hill easier on the legs.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Oct 31, 2017 7:04 am 
Ski wrote:
Quite true, although I have found that their destinations are not always the same as mine, at times leading me off into Never-Never Land.
Their destination has always been mine, I suspect. Never-Never Land in the end.
GHOST CAMPS
GHOST CAMPS
GHOST CAMPS They remain quiet most of the year, with a fire ring made of large rocks surrounding a pile of old ashes and maybe nearby will be a small stack of old branches, twigs, small logs and a piece or two of rotting firewood. They are the "Ghost Camps" of Washington, or maybe anywhere there are mountains and timber, flat spots for tents or campers, occupied through hunting seasons in the distant past and now home to the ghosts of those people who were there. It's become a habit of mine to stop at some of these places just to look around. Some people leave a clean camp, others leave trash to be picked up, and in one spot I found an old car battery that had been shot to pieces. Really REALLY stupid. The image is of my longtime hunting buddy Brian Lull, as intrepid a fellow as ever left a boot print on Bethel Ridge or the Devil's Table. Some of these campsites date back decades, having "changed hands" a few times over the years, with one group giving way to another and then another as people depart the field, and new fellows arrive to take their place. Ghost Camps, because they are haunted by the echoes of laughter around the campfire, and the silence of those somber moments when nobody has a thing to say, and they just stare into the campfire to remember bygone friends and family, the miles their boots have trodden, the girls who stole their hearts and never gave them all back, the adventures and misadventures that grow with each retelling. There is a peace around the Ghost Camp that eventually captures us all who have been there. It helps us sleep, gives us strength, reminds us of our place, and shares with us the harmony of the earth. And it leaves us hoping to return in another year, and in a way prepares us for that time when we don't.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 31, 2017 12:05 pm 
I have often stopped hoping to find a knife! I've only found a poorly made one. Looked like a kid made it. Sigh.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Oct 31, 2017 2:05 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Tamarack grow east of the Rockies, too. Here is a photo of some tamarack around an unnamed pond I took in northern Wisconsin a couple weeks ago. This was in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Oct 31, 2017 6:00 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I have often stopped hoping to find a knife! I've only found a poorly made one. Looked like a kid made it. Sigh.
The only thing I've ever found in a Ghost Camp is as described. I was careful to leave the silence undisturbed.