Forum Index > Gear Talk > Crescent Moon EVA dual-density foam flexible snowshoes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Oct 30, 2017 9:36 am 
I just got a pair of Crescent Moon EVA foam rubber snowshoes. Mainly because they are lighter than my current MSR's. Also, I liked the simplicity of the velcro type binding. Most of the reviews say they are great for trail running but have not been thoroughly tested in deep snow. Anybody have any experience with them?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Oct 31, 2017 7:43 am 
I got to take a peek at some and walk around on carpet. The stride with their binding is different than with traditional bindings. They rely on the flex of the snowshoe itself, rather than a pivoting binding, to aid walking. Just a guess, but they will probably throw a lot of snow up your back when breaking trail in deeper snow. I liked the light weight and simplicity, and could see how they would work well running or walking on snowshoe trails (packed). I would have to use them in a variety of snow conditions to have more than speculation to offer. Let us know how you like them.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 12:10 pm 
Interesting that they are only quarter to half pound less weight per pair than a couple different models of MSR that I just compared them to. I would have expected more difference.

friluftsliv
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 3:34 pm 
boot up wrote:
Interesting that they are only quarter to half pound less weight per pair than a couple different models of MSR that I just compared them to. I would have expected more difference.
Yes I was surprised by the weight also. They are a rather dense foam and don't have open voids in them like some other snowshoes. The thing that sold me on them was the seemingly simple and functional binding design. I have always thought MSR's design engineers must have been smoking some strange weed to sign off on that multiple dangling rubber strap arrangement they come up with. I waited for years for them to start from scratch on a new design but that never happened. I also liked the fact that you can strap these to any pack and not worry too much about the bottom cleats poking holes in the fabric.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 3:45 pm 
I don't think anyone could ever defend the MSR strap design choice. I own a couple of pair, but ye gawds, what were they thinking?? It is especially bad when traversing an area that alternates between bare ground and snow, so you have to keep fiddling with all those PITA straps when taking the shoes off and on.

friluftsliv
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 7:12 pm 
How can those things possibly grip the icy spots? I've seen cheap sleds with rougher bottoms.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 7:18 pm 
texasbb wrote:
How can those things possibly grip the icy spots? I've seen cheap sleds with rougher bottoms.
Good point there mate! I only take snowshoes when I know the the snow is more than a foot deep and microspikes otherwise. Usually when I go out in the winter I have long skinny things on my feet.

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 8:54 pm 
I usually go cross country with my MSR denalis. I always come across sticks and downed trees and walking on downed tree limbs. These foam things would get shreaded fast.

Art is an adventure.
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Nov 04, 2017 7:23 am 
Stefan wrote:
I always come across sticks and downed trees and walking on downed tree limbs. These foam things would get shreaded fast.
They are called dual-density because the top and layer is made of squishy foam but the bottom layer of cleats is anything but. In fact they seem as about as tough as the tread on mountaineering boots. I took a hammer and pounded on them and it just recoiled off. You might expect this since I think they are targeting trail runners. That means some areas of rocks and debris. In any case, I got a pair because I like to check out new gear and liked the binding system. Also, my snowshoeing is recreational at best. Nothing like the epic treks you sometimes take on.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jan 01, 2018 7:54 pm 
I finally got these snowshoes out in some deep snow (up the Icicle River) today. My non-scientific evaluation: Flotation in deep snow: About as good as my MSR's. Traction on packed powder: very good. Pros: 1. I love the velcro strap bindings when compared to the MSR multiple rubber strap loop and hook system. 2. Light weight and very easy to maneuver. Cons: 1. I don't like the bindings because they fix your boot to the shoe not letting your boot hinge down. That makes the tails flip snow up at you in anything deeper than about 6". 2. The bindings not letting your boot hinge with each step tends to make your heel lift in the boot. That could be a ticket to a blister. But, they worked fine for what I did...taking my wife on a simple snowshoe outing. Something she had been wanting to do.