Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 2:46 pm 
Wings of Ice by Mike Stultz. True story of a Washingtonian who went to Alaska and had a wonderful adventure as a teacher, bush pilot, hunting guide, and Fish and Game employee, to name a few. Not a super challenging read, just fun and interesting because it all really happened and some of it is incredible. https://www.amazon.com/Wings-Ice-Mr-Mike-Stultz/dp/0578188678

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Nov 04, 2017 2:01 pm 
I thoroughly enjoyed Ruth Ware's first and second novels (In a Dark, Dark Wood; The Woman in Cabin 10) so was looking forward to reading her latest--The Lying Game. About halfway thru, not nearly as good as her previous work. Not much tension to this one, just not very interesting. And a cranky, squalling baby as a major component of a book....just doesn't work.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 12:29 am 
This thread has gone dead. Did everybody simultaneously quit reading? Finished the Ruth Ware novel from the previous post, it was a dud. Read Craig Lesley's "The Sky Fisherman" for probably the 4th or 5th time. Still good. Breezed thru another YA sci fi, "Warcross" by Marie Lu. I thought it might be similar to "Ready Player One." Only vaguely because immersive virtual reality was central to both, but otherwise not really. Entertaining enough. First book in an expected series. Currently trying to read Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale." I didn't see the recent cable tv series adaptation of it, but publicity from that made me curious to check out the source material. Progress has been slow. I'm about 1/3 of the way thru it, w/ no discernible plot so far. It's just the minutiae of the main character's daily/weekly routine in the current oppressive society she lives in, and random flashbacks to her life before during better times. But there is nothing driving the plot, it's just meandering. I hope "something" happens to make the story start moving, but I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to stick with it.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 4:23 pm 
A is for Arctic-Natural Wonders of a Polar World by Wayne Lynch reviews the resident animals and aspects of polar life letter by letter from A to Z. The author threads his beautiful wildlife photographs into the natural history to create an informative book. The beauty of the arctic comes alive and you will thoroughly enjoy this book.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 pm 
The Southern Reach Trilogy The ad.. "
Quote:
Area X-a remote and lush terrain-has been cut off from the rest of the continent for decades. Nature has reclaimed the last vestiges of human civilization. The first expedition returned with reports of a pristine, Edenic landscape; all the members of the second expedition committed suicide; the third expedition died in a hail of gunfire as its members turned on one another; the members of the eleventh expedition returned as shadows of their former selves, and within months of their return, all had died of aggressive cancer. This is the twelfth expedition. Their group is made up of four women: an anthropologist; a surveyor; a psychologist, the de facto leader; and our narrator, a biologist. Their mission is to map the terrain and collect specimens; to record all their observations, scientific and otherwise, of their surroundings and of one another; and, above all, to avoid being contaminated by Area X itself."
Area X appeared from nowhere and as noted, cut off a large portion of the southeastern seaboard from the rest of the world. The barrier which appeared is impassable and deadly, except for an inexplicable doorway in a single location. The writing is fascinating and hard to describe, it becomes part of the tale of Area X in an inherent way, alternately obtuse and disorienting but it remains comprehensible while managing to fill the story with a sense of dread and confusion, like Area X itself. The volume linked is what was three books published as a single volume. In part 1, the expedition noted in the blurb. Part 2 deals with the organization tasked with investigating Area X. Part 3 plunges into what happened, and what happens now. It's been a very involving and unusual read, well put together. I haven't read a book quite as cool as this one in some time..part horror, part sci fi, part supernatural, part psychological fiction.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 9:22 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
This thread has gone dead. Did everybody simultaneously quit reading?
Um, no. Some of us read two or three at a time and then report. wink.gif Also have one that I have read twice in order to glean more information. That one I need to report on soon. Complex histories with detailed pictures take time to absorb. ~z

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 6:06 pm 
At the library's Friday morning read-aloud, I offered up a lively and well-received rendition of Mo Willems' latest. wink.gif
Sam the  Most Scaredy-Cat Kid
Sam the Most Scaredy-Cat Kid
By the way, his Elephant and Piggie books make great presents for primary-age kids. up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Dec 17, 2017 3:41 pm 
In Tipi: Heritage of the Great Plains the dwelling for the nomadic lifestyle of the Plains is explored with historical photographs and articles from the Brooklyn Museum's collection. Although no longer lived in the tipi remains a part of the living culture of today's First Nations. The book is edited by Nancy B. Rosoff with a dozen contributing authors who allow their own area of expertise to open the former home of the Plains nations to the interested reader.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Dec 18, 2017 8:41 am 
I recently received my "Accidents in North American Climbing" and AAJ from the American Alpine Club. Climbing accidents, what went wrong (and why) is most interesting to me as I am sneaking up on my 7th decade, and am a beginner rock climber. I spent ~35 years climbing radio towers, but rock is more interesting.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 5:43 pm 
Currently trying to read Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale."
Had to give up on this one and take it back to the library. More than 100 pages into it and still absolutely nothing had happened. There were some hints at what might happen eventually, but my patience wore out. Just got Pierce Brown's "Golden Son." This is my second go around for the Red Rising trilogy. I was gonna blow right thru them, but unfortunately had a long wait for book 2 from the library.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Dec 31, 2017 3:19 pm 
Love In The Time Of Cholera by Nobel Prize winning Gabriel Garcia Marquez is a literary treat. The immersion into the verbal imagery he creates is magical. For it to be so captivating in English I can only imagine what his words would project in Spanish, the language it was originally written in.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 5:18 pm 
I'd never given much thought to reading any of Edgar Rice Burroughs' works before. Kind of on a whim I got "A Princess of Mars" (the basis for the recent film "John Carter of Mars") from the library. Published in 1917. It can probably be criticized for being racist and sexist by today's standards, but it wasn't written in the current time. It's also very influential in the realm of sci fi, both in literature and film. About 1/3 of the way through it. A fairly entertaining, light read so far.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 7:21 pm 
I'd never given much thought to reading any of Edgar Rice Burroughs' works before. Kind of on a whim I got "A Princess of Mars" (the basis for the recent film "John Carter of Mars") from the library.
One of my favorite authors when growing up. This was long, long before science fiction and fantasy were so popular and overblown. There were books first, but I usually read the paperbacks with the amazing Frank Frazetta covers. ~z

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 10:40 am 
reading "The Emerald Mile:the epic story of the fastest ride in history through the heart of the Grand Canyon" by Kevin Fedarko. Someone has probably mentioned this book before but so far it's a most enjoyable read with much history and story of the "development :"of the Colorado as well. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 11:32 am 
Just finishing up "A Princess of Mars." Got a start on my next book, the third in the Red Rising trilogy "Morning Sun." The first time I read the trilogy I was slightly disappointed w/ the final entry. This time through I didn't enjoy the 2nd book quite as much but I got sucked into the 3rd book right away.