Forum Index > Food & Grub > Good books for wild forging in PNW?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mastee

mastee
PostThu Nov 09, 2017 9:45 am 
Hello All, New to Seatec all the way from Georgia. I used to carry a Peterson's field guide on edible wild plants for eastern/central USA and was wondering if there is a recommendation for PNW, I try to stay reasonably light so something portable will be best, some color photos would be nice but not needed 100%? NorthWest Forging...Doug Benolil PNW Forging by Doug Deur Any other? Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Nov 09, 2017 1:30 pm 
I think there are some foraging groups that meet in the area depending on the season. You might google for some info. Mushrooming is big out here so if you can hook up with the right people you can learn a lot.

Brockton

Brockton
PostThu Nov 09, 2017 10:00 pm 
I got this book from the Seattle library and found it informative and a fun read. It includes all the standards (i.e. berries, nettles, etc.) and some I had never seen before: http://www.timberpress.com/books/pacific_northwest_foraging/deur/9781604693522 It doesn't focus on edibles, but Pojar and Mackinnon's Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast is a veritable bible for our local plants. It includes a lot of tidbits about edible or medicinal uses: http://www.powells.com/book/plants-of-the-pacific-northwest-coast-washington-oregon-bc-alaska-2nd-edition-9781551055305

glenoid

glenoid
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 7:25 pm 
Welcome to the PNW!! Foraging here is rather location dependent, and therefore the appropriate "books" vary in relevance to the foraging one does. I live next to the Blue Mountains in SE Washington so what I reference might differ from what is used in western Washington, in general though, they are similar, except for your bounty you get from the sea. The Demur book is good for the whole state. (I might not agree with what he thinks tastes good.) For mushrooms, the book i like the best is "All that the rain promises and more" by David Aurora. Quite good. That book with a few others are all I needed to get my start in mushrooming. A few others: "Wild Harvest" by Terry Domino is helpful for edible plants. (I like the drawings in addition to color photos) "Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West by Gregory Tilford (more then you might want, but informative and extensive, with good photos.) "Northwestern Wild Berries" by J. E. Underhill is small but helpful if your are not from this area. Lastly, the forage from the sea is incredible. I learned it on my own as I lived next to Meadow Point for years and majored in Invertebrate Zoology. From scuba diving to crabbing/clamming in the early 70's we ate our fill. (Just be sure of the water quality you fish or forage in!!) Books?? Probably a lot out there that I just haven't used. (Maybe find a willing local to help you out, if they will divulge their secrets!) Hunting and fishing are avenues for you also, but perhaps that isn't foraging. 😄

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostMon Dec 18, 2017 6:25 pm 
While not a field guide, you'll learn alot about foraging from Langdon Cook. Check out his blog - Fat of the Land Blog His book, Fat of the Land, goes into more detail. I loved his book "The Mushroom Hunters". Happy foraging. ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat Dec 23, 2017 2:32 pm 
Are you going back to the start of the iron age? I haven't heard of wild forging, but I'm sure there is a old smitty or 2 here. wink.gif I have book called natural history of the cascades. Covers just aboout very living thing you could encounter.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Dec 31, 2017 10:57 am 
Welcome to the Northwest. I took a weekend field seminar with the author of Pacific Feast, Jennifer Hahn. The book offers a wealth of information that includes beach, field, and forest foraging along with delicious recipes. The book will very likely meet your needs. May fabulous foraging come your way in 2018.

Bob2005

Bob2005
PostTue Jun 25, 2019 8:38 pm 
Not so much foraging for nutrition, but a nice book nonetheless: "Pacific Northwest Medicinal Plants: Identify, Harvest, and Use 120 Wild Herbs for Health and Wellness", Scott Kloos. Paperback. This web search will give you some more things to check out: northwest native edible plants

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 26, 2019 6:37 am 
I highly recommend connecting with other foraging/mushrooming people and learning from them over using a book to figure things out. Many of the mushroom species are highly poisonous and only subtly different in appearance to the edible varieties. The same is true for various edible plants. I know people that that have gotten very ill and suffered significant liver damage from "book learning" mushroom picking. http://www.psms.org/ https://www.myballard.com/event/wild-medicinal-plant-foraging-class/

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostThu Dec 19, 2019 6:31 pm 
Just discovered this book on NW berries by a local ethnobotanist. Looks good. http://www.cascadianfood.net/products/shop/wild-berries-of-washington-and-oregon/ And these classics by Sam Thayer https://www.foragersharvest.com/our-books.html#/

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Dec 19, 2019 9:06 pm 
glenoid wrote:
"All that the rain promises and more" by David Aurora.
^ this one is great. we used it in combination with the Audubon Field Guide. I have a little pocket-size "Pacific Coast Berry Finder" by Glen Keator, PhD © 1978 Nature Study Guild. Available at Kalaloch R.S., among other places. Check out the second one online. They also print pocket-sized field guides for other things... like... trees!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."