Forum Index > Trail Talk > We crashed our drone on the first trip...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bdzzle

Bdzzle
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 11:33 am 
joker wrote:
BTW, it is worth noting that the OP appears to have in this instance chosen a place for his flying and filming where I'm guessing few if any other people were around and trying to experience said connection to nature.
One reason we went there first was cause I knew that most likely no one would be there and we ended up not seeing anyone. Not saying that will always work out but our goal it to try and not take away from anyone's expirence and at the same time enjoy it in the way we do.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 11:50 am 
You did really well on that front. Earlier on I made it clear I'm not a multi fan but you guys are doing it right and I think that deserves appreciation. One thing that would be fun I've always wondered if a multi would be able to film our fixed wing fun from interesting perspectives as we rip around the various peaks and cliffs we fly from. If you guys would be interested in a car camp sometime maybe we could join forces and get some real unique footage.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 3:45 pm 
There you go, don't fight, unite!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bdzzle

Bdzzle
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 6:52 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
One thing that would be fun I've always wondered if a multi would be able to film our fixed wing fun from interesting perspectives as we rip around the various peaks and cliffs we fly from. If you guys would be interested in a car camp sometime maybe we could join forces and get some real unique footage.
Yeah that sounds like a cool project!

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 9:16 am 
Last weekend I recovered the payload from an HAB launch on 7/15 that ended up in the Pasayten. Pretty cool seeing footage from 50K and above. I'll probably write a TR on it later.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 4:13 pm 
joker wrote:
some people manage to have a wider "radius of infringement" than others, and also a greater "amplitude of infringement."
Thats why you shouldn't stage a Bigfoot hunt out of a well-humaned area. When you're blastin' Yeti calls across a lake basin at 120 dB via boombox/megaphone at 2am, its good to not piss anyone off.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 4:34 pm 
joker wrote:
on that point I'd love to see people who post particularly cool drone videos also include a comment on those posts that briefly explain how they've tried to minimize their negative impact on other recreationalists.
embarassedlaugh.gif Do you think it would be great if people who posted hiking pictures would also explain where they pooped and what they did with it and the toilet paper, and how they decided where to put their feet, and other things they've done to minimize their negative impact on others? Judging by this forum, the only thing that annoys hikers more than drones, cairns, facebook, dogs, instagram, or other people on the trail, are TP blooms that are apparently everywhere now.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 5:44 pm 
You seem to have it in for me. The guy with the drone seemed to appreciate the suggestion - I'll take him at his word. I like hiking with dogs. Not everyone is happy with that. I try to make clear in my TRs about dogs that I have them leashed where required, and often elsewhere too. If have photos of the dogs, the fact that they're leashed is always visually clear. I have concern about dog rules getting much more strict due to the way people flout the existing rules - outright bans would be more enforceable. I also speak up on rant threads about out of control dogs about why I think it's important that other owners follow the rules and not ruin it for all of us. Similarly, I think drones are under real threat of increased regulation on public lands. Drone owners can have some impact through influencing other drone owners. I made the suggestion largely in that spirit fwiw. Peace.

wolffie

wolffie
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 12:58 pm 
We actually saw a drone on the John Muir Trail below one of the major passes. Nothing to shoot at it with. I mooned it. Best I could do. Does anybody make ultralight titanium shotgons?

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 3:30 pm 
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 6:22 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
WSJ: Bold Eagles: Angry Birds Are Ripping $80,000 Drones Out of the Sky
That's awesome!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 7:38 pm 
We don't have birds quite that aggressive around here. Hawks tend to be more aggressive than eagles. They'll come check out a plane and once or twice a summer one will make a run at one, then break off at the last second, although my smaller planes have been hit now and then. The eagles are generally less threatening and will fly wingtip to wingtip with you, sometimes for many minutes. Which is quite cool. We always give raptors plenty of space and don't make challenging moves around them, i always attempt to vacate that portion of the sky to give them room, and then they decide how much room they want. The eagles are the most persistent followers.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
bluntman001
philippe

bluntman001
philippe
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 7:41 am 
You like why he gots to ruin it for eveyone! I went ahead and bought myself a drone from FullyDroned the other day, just to find out that I'm not allowed to fly it around unless I have a license ... like cmon, this is a toy!! I'm not going to fly it over the airport now!! Why do the kids just have to ruin it for everyone!!