Forum Index > Trail Talk > NPS could raise entrance fees
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 am 
Here comes part two of the fee plan. "Implement sustainable operations embracing fair, efficient and convenient fee collection and strategic use of the collected" Grrrrrrrr. Zinke's goal is to hand over our National treasures to corporations. This is the reason behind the proposed $70 day use fees. Defund the system make sure it does not work, convince us that it is broken. Piss people off and make them all too happy to have it handed over to private interests under the guise of "Implement sustainable operations embracing fair, efficient and convenient fee collection and strategic use of the collected" https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/secretary-zinke-announces-creation-made-america-recreation-advisory-committee

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 am 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 10:39 am 
Ranger Rock wrote:
Zinke's goal is to hand over our National treasures to corporations. This is the reason behind the proposed $70 day use fees. Defund the system make sure it does not work, convince us that it is broken. Piss people off and make them all too happy to have it handed over to private interests under the guise of "Implement sustainable operations embracing fair, efficient and convenient fee collection and strategic use of the collected"
You left out the part about "wrapping it up in the flag" and "American entrepreneurism".

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 5:18 pm 
ranger rock wrote:
Zinke's goal is to hand over our National treasures to corporations
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

trestle

trestle
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 7:46 pm 
So would you be ok with the Outback El Capitan? Or the Tostitios Mt. Rainier? Or better yet, the Roto-Rooter Grand Canyon? Selling the naming rights for publicly-funded stadiums is bad enough; I'd much prefer to lay off some tactical contractors or deny a few F-35 purchases and have my national treasures stay corporate-free.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 8:19 pm 
yeah its all a conspiracy to sell the Grand Canyon to Halliburton

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 8:50 pm 
Don't waste your time arguing about it on an unrelated forum, comments can be sent here:
Quote:
You may submit comments and/or nominations by any of the following methods: Mail or hand-carry nominations to Teri Austin, Associate Director for Business Services, National Park Service, Office of Business Services, 1849 C Street, NW, MS 2717, Washington, DC 20240; or email nominations to: teresa_austin@nps.gov

trestle

trestle
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 9:16 am 
MyFootHurts wrote:
a conspiracy to sell the Grand Canyon to.....
Delaware North is the name you're looking for.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 9:48 am 
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 10:07 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/opinion/sunday/the-gradual-selling-of-america-the-beautiful.html
And not a single square inch of a national park has been sold.. I worked at Haleakala National Park once. They day after the 2000 election people were all bent out of shape and said that GWB was going to drill oil wells at the summit. I asked if there was oil under Haleakala and they looked at me like I was the stupid one. Update: Its 2017 and there are still no oil wells at Haleakala.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 10:25 am 
Yeah. Because of some idiot tourists in Hawaii, we shouldn't be at all concerned about the stated intentions of the current Secretary of the Interior, which indeed seem rather aligned with the goals of the Sagebrush Rebellion folks. Nor his and his adminstrations actions to date, which include stating clearly their plan for re-opening land, land that many of us treasure after visiting, to various forms of extractive exploitation. And a plan which even the local chamber of commerce opposes. Yeah, that Haleakala story is cute, but I hope you can see the logical flaw in suggesting it in any way discounts concerns about what Zinke and crew are up to.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 10:25 am 
MyFootHurts wrote:
And not a single square inch of a national park has been sold.. I worked at Haleakala National Park once. They day after the 2000 election people were all bent out of shape and said that GWB was going to drill oil wells at the summit. I asked if there was oil under Haleakala and they looked at me like I was the stupid one. Update: Its 2017 and there are still no oil wells at Haleakala.
I don't know why anybody would want to waste money drilling for oil in Hawaii-- except perhaps to distract attention away from where they actually wanted to perform oil exploration... G.W.Bush did grant a lot of new oil leases, some of which Obama canceled. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/29017638/ns/us_news-environment/t/bush-era-energy-drilling-leases-utah-canceled/ I expect the current administration to grant leases at a more rapid pace, with less environmental review and on terms more favorable to oil companies-- unless they are just too busy tweeting and/or invested in reducing oil supplies to drive prices up and increase oil profits for non US suppliers.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 11:00 am 
No they weren't "idiot tourists", they were other NPS employees. The same people who gave interpretive talks about park geology and biology were hysterical that the volcano was going to sold, drilled and strip mined for imaginary resources. But it didn't matter because it would all be underwater by now anyway from global warming.
Quote:
I don't know why anybody would want to waste money drilling for oil in Hawaii-- except perhaps to distract attention away from where they actually wanted to perform oil exploration...
triplefacepalm.jpg I do have some cute stories from when I worked there though. I was in the entrance booth collecting fees and this cute chick asked "So what's there to see here?" I told her "Not much after you leave this booth wink.gif " She didn't get it shakehead.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 pm 
Employees or tourists, the lack of logic there remains...

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 12:08 pm 
There were and are proposals for drilling volcanoes for energy particularly geothermal energy.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn