Forum Index > Trail Talk > 2017 Calendar Social / Homeless Gear Drive / Calendar Contest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki

wiki
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 10:04 am 
I am planning to attend: Tom, Nancyann (2, almond apple cake, paper plates, cups, utensils), RichP, JimK, Damian (baked beans), GranolaGirl (maybe), Schroder, Pyrites (main dish), BarbE (main dish-Lasagne) marydave(2 - green salad). snowdog, joker, Scrooge and Larch (spaghetti, again (I hope), Snuffy (appetizer), Hiker Mama (chili and maybe dessert), Radka & Chris (apple strudel), Ski (pie), RockShadow (salad-probably warm potato salad), Kenji (3, rice dish+); Cascadetraverser (2, sandwiches), Triciaann (dessert), Ancient Ambler (appetizer), raising3hikers (appetizer), Hanzsek (appetizer - chicken satay), You can order a calendar here from mixbook. If you just want 1 calendar use coupon code REFER2017 to get the cost down to $10.98 (11x8.5" calendar) or $22.98 (14x11" calendar) via budget shipping (upgrade shipping if you need it by Christmas). Reserved a 2018 Calendar for pickup at the social: 11x8.5: Schroder (tbd) 14x11": Cascadetraverser (tbd) Social: Friday, Dec 8, 7-10 PM at www.maltbyclub.org (map) The homeless gear drive is completely optional. The need is for used packs, sleeping bags, tents, tarps, ground pads, and coats. If you have used boots, bring em along- we'll find a home for them. You can bring these things to the social, or contact Damian or Kim Brown by PM and we'll arrange to pick these things up. Receipts will be available but will require an email exchange w/Facing Homelessness. If you have questions about Facing Homelessness Seattle you can check them out on the web, or feel free to contact Damian. In addition to helping out with some basic needs they are very involved in sustainable solutions to Seattle's homeless problem especially housing.

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:06 am (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Oct 28, 2017 12:16 pm 
Songs2 wrote:
Thank you, Snowdog and Tom. Gosh, 25% off Southwest fares and it would be practically free!
PM sent Tom.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Nov 04, 2017 8:10 pm 
Don't forget about the gear drive for Facing Homelessness No stoves or fuel! Here's a list of things they accept: We accept the items listed below as donations from our community.
  • Socks - New, adult socks; men’s and women’s
  • Sleeping Bags - New and gently used (clean and undamaged); adult size only
  • Tents and Tarp - New and gently used (clean and undamaged); all sizes
  • Backpacks - New and gently used (clean and undamaged)
  • hiking packs and backpacks; adult size only
  • Coats - New and gently used (clean and undamaged); adult size only. Hooded and rain repellent jackets especially useful
  • Hats and Gloves - New, adult hats and gloves
Here's their Amazon Wish List.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 5:42 pm 
Lookin' kind of like an Old-timer's Day. wheelchair.gif That's okay. It'll be nice to see familiar name tags, even if the faces and bodies don't quite ring a bell. bricks.gif But I think I'd rather see the hall fill up with second and third generation types (as I think it has in recent years), rather than see the tattered remnants of NWHikers clustered around two or three tables in a corner. frown.gif Then there's the donation drive (somebody anticipating the situation?) that dominates the thread. A fine thing ..... but what happened to the food? confused.gif I used to be intrigued by seeing all the different things that folks were bringing. agree.gif And is it possible that not getting appetites whetted is partly responsible for that short list of names? hmmm.gif Perhaps Joker has it right. Maybe all the missing folks will sign up at the same time that they sneak in their last minute photos. suuure.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 9:45 pm 
Do we need to sign up for this? I was just going to sneak in with Snowdog. I promise to bring something tasty to eat. smile.gif

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 10:23 pm 
Not required but it's fun to know in advance who will be there! The first post is a wiki; just click on the edit button to add your name!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 10:41 pm 
Glad to hear you are coming, Snuffy, and Scrooge too! Feel free to include what dish you are bringing next to your name, like Scrooge said, that's how it was done in the past. I brought my son last year, (he's stationed in Germany now, so can't attend this year)and even though I only knew a few people there, we both found it to be a very congenial and welcoming group. And the food was delicious!

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 11:18 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
The first post is a wiki; just click on the edit button to add your name!
Thanks!

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 11:19 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Glad to hear you are coming, Snuffy, and Scrooge too! Feel free to include what dish you are bringing next to your name, like Scrooge said, that's how it was done in the past
Thanks Nancyann! I'm looking forward to being able to put names with faces. As soon as I figure out what I'm bringing, I'll add it to the Wiki. smile.gif

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 1:03 pm 
Is voting postponed? Did something happen? Is Tom okay?

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 1:27 pm 
We're waiting for Tom to fix an IT issue with the voting program. smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 am 
Polls are now open! Please vote for your favorite photo in each category. The preliminary round of voting will end Tuesday, Nov 21, followed by a finalist round of voting to determine the winners.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Nov 18, 2017 1:14 pm 
Hooray for Tom! I suspect you've spent a lot of hours making the voting, at long last, work! Thank you! In the meantime there are many more submissions, all excellent quality, making decisions really difficult! Too bad we can't vote for all of them!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSun Nov 19, 2017 9:19 am 
Some really great entries. Good job everyone.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Nov 19, 2017 6:31 pm 
I am disappointed that I can't make it (event with my wife) , it was great to meet people and put faces to the names last year. Cheers to all.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 8:51 pm 
Preliminary voting ends tonight! Lots of gorgeous photos to choose from, let us know what you think!