Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > UW volleyball
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 12:30 pm 
trestle wrote:
hopefully they're building a new core.
The only freshman playing much is MB Lauren Sanders. Setter Natalie Robinson was pressed into duty for a couple matches due to an injury to their starting setter (she's back now, but because of a hand injury she can't be in the front row blocking, so they are running a 6-2 w/ 2 Sr. setters; I think that's better anyway as it keeps more hitters on the floor). Next year looks like a bit of a rebuilding year. Julye, Bajema, Niece, McPherson and Sanders all have been in the rotation at times, but this year's Seniors are definitely the heart and soul of the program at the moment.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Oct 29, 2017 1:29 pm 
I haven't been to a match all year, til this morning. Dawgs got a sweep against UCLA, looked good. Some really good defense by both teams. My parents were visiting, they've never been to a UW volleyball match, they had a lot of fun. UW got a tough 3-2 win against USC on Friday night, and finished their Bay Area trip last weekend with a win against Cal. Despite their struggles at times I believe they now find themselves tied for 2nd in the conference at 8-4. Stanford is running away from everybody, but the rest of the conference is just taking turns beating each other up.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Nov 04, 2017 11:20 am 
UW got swept at Colorado Friday night. I quit watching about halfway thru the second set. Huskies looked all out of synch. One hitting error after another. For a team with a bunch of Seniors, this sure has been a disappointing season thus far. Although it seems like they always lose when they play in Boulder, so par for the course I guess. The Dawgs need to regroup fast, play at Utah tonight. Utes have been slumping after a fast start and Colorado has been hot, but you never know what you'll see from UW. The conference is so congested that one loss dropped them from a 3 way tie for 2nd all the way to 5th. It's still Stanford and then everybody else, but another loss would drop them a couple games behind the crowd fighting for 2nd place.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Nov 04, 2017 8:27 pm 
Big win for UW tonight, 3-1 at Utah. Wasn't on tv, just looking at stats apparently they juggled their lineup again. Scambray back to libero again. Bajema taking her place as an OH. Bajema has barely been playing for weeks, she had a big night. 21 kills hitting over .350. Schwan had pretty good matches back-to-back, maybe she can regain her form from last year when she was the conference player of the year. Will either be in a multiple way tie for 3rd place or 2nd place, depending on whether USC wins tonight.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 pm 
Got a barn burner going on right now, Huskies hosting Stanford and leading 2-1. They were also up 2-1 down on The Farm and couldn't close it out, hopefully they'll pick up a huge win tonight. On Pac 12 Network. The Card are still undefeated in conference play.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Nov 08, 2017 10:16 pm 
Dawgs whooped 'em in the 4th set! 3-1 win. Dang it I should've gone to the match, would've been great to see it in person. Go Huskies! Oh and Krista Vansant is getting her jersey retired tonight. Only the 4th number hanging in the rafters, joining fellow volleyballer Courtney Thompson and a couple men's hoops players. Although Kelsey Plum is certainly going to be joining them sooner than later. UW hosts Cal tomorrow.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Nov 09, 2017 1:36 pm 
I'm talking to myself in here, but the views counter keeps going up, so some posters must find it interesting. Some more details from the match last night. Stanford outhit UW, more kills and a higher hitting percentage. Slight edge in blocking to UW. The match was won from the serving line. 10 aces and only 4 errors for the Huskies, a ridiculously good ratio. Scambray had 5 aces and Tanner reeled off 3 in a row at one point. By contrast Stanford had 5 aces and 14 errors. It's been a challenging year due to a string of injuries and continually making lineup changes. The lineup from the last 2 matches seems to be really working. I'm particularly happy to see the 2 starting MB from last year, Niece and Bajema, back in the rotation. Both have played fairly rarely this year. Bajema has moved back to her natural position as an OH and has led the Huskies in kills the last 2 matches. She also did a really good job blocking last night. She was often lined up across from Stanford's 6'8" OH Lutz, and stuffed her several times. Niece is back as a starter at MB due to an injury to Hazelwood. She had a strong showing last night, 9 kills hitting over .500. Those 2 did a good job last year as freshmen, they'll be part of the core next year w/ so many Seniors graduating. Good to see them playing an integral part of the team this season.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Nov 09, 2017 9:47 pm 
Huskies didn't look as sharp tonight, got off to a slow start each set, but played well enough in stretches to get a fairly easy sweep against Cal.

trestle

trestle
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 6:38 pm 
It may feel like you're talking to yourself in here but some of us are definitely listening and appreciate the updates on PAC-12 and other elite volleyball. I used to watch more when I had the PAC-12 channel but had to scale back my cable package this year. Then I discovered I have access to the PAC-12 app through my cable server so I'm trying to catch about a game a week on my phone. It looks like a year of parity in the PAC-12.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 3:16 pm 
trestle wrote:
It looks like a year of parity in the PAC-12.
Yeah, definitely. The bottom 4 are WAY behind. Stanford is all alone at the top. There's starting to be a little separation among the rest though. There are 4 teams tied at 9-7. Utah is 1 game ahead of the log jam, UW is 2 games up and USC is 3 games ahead. I'm happy to keep posting updates, glad that others are enjoying the thread. Only 4 games left in the regular season, coming down the home stretch. Next up for the Huskies are road games against the Oregon schools on Friday and Sunday.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 pm 
The match wasn't on TV so I didn't get to watch it. UW loses to Oregon St. 3-2 in Corvallis. They lost both matches to OSU this year. I doubt even the most devoted OSU fans ever would've predicted that. Wow. Dawgs had more kills, higher hitting percentage, more blocks, more digs, more aces.....I have no idea how it's possible to do all of that and lose a match, but they did it. Mind boggling.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Nov 19, 2017 2:22 pm 
Huskies playing at Oregon right now, on Pac 12 Network (1 pm start). I'm not sure if I'm up for watching it. Ducks were up in set 1. Surprisingly Washington St. beat Oregon 3-1 at the same time UW was losing to OSU.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Nov 19, 2017 3:49 pm 
I should've had more faith. UW gets a 3-0 sweep. I watched it off and on. Oregon is maybe the only team in the Pac 12 more inconsistent than the Huskies. In set 1 and 3 UW overcame early deficits and kinda stole it down the stretch. Huskies now 12-6 in conference w/ 2 matches left. Host Arizona and Washington St. next week, both very winnable matches. Bajema is continuing to play well, she's been outstanding over the last half dozen games or so since she joined the starting lineup. Led the team in kills just about every match during that stretch and usually a good hitting %. The conference standings are still very jumbled. UW can finish as high as 2nd, they are a 1/2 game behind USC right now and are tied w/ Utah. Colorado and Oregon St. are just behind them. UCLA and Oregon fading a bit.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 7:47 pm 
Didn't get to watch, but UW with a fairly easy 3-0 sweep over Arizona today. And apparently another massive lineup change...with 2 matches left before the playoffs start. Really? Switched to a 5-1, so Tanner can play in the front row and block now, finger must be heeled up. Jones moved to middle blocker. At the tail end of her Sr. season...that's just baffling to me. I don't understand why changing yet again, w/ barely any time for the team to adjust, is a good idea.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Nov 24, 2017 10:34 pm 
Dawgs hammer the Cougs in the regular season finale for both. UW finishes 14-6 in conference play. Possibly good enough for a 2nd place tie, but they need UCLA to beat USC on Saturday. Now UW awaits the announcement of the brackets to see their post season path. What are the odds they'll have to play Nebraska in the post season for about the 8th year in a row? Pretty good I'd say.