Forum Index > Trail Talk > Injuries and Fighting the Winter Blues
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 10:03 pm 
So, I managed to hurt myself pretty good this summer backpacking on a stupid trail in Canada and have spent the last few months pissed and mostly feeling sorry for myself. And now I have all winter to dealing with missing out on all the fun I HAD planned since finishing the Mountaineers Scrambling course. Sure, there are plenty of lowly river hikes where I won't be as freaked out about pushing my abilities and risk re-injuring myself but it's just not the same. Anyone else recovering and can sympathize? I usually keep myself sane with outdoor adventure! P.S. I have amazing hiking friends who invite me out but I am too worried about slowing them down!

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 10:31 pm 
My 2 cents. I try to find/watch/photograph (albeit poorly) wildlife in the winter. Its definitely not the same as scrambling some peak, but it is a different kind of fun to follow a deer or elk's track offtrail, and then get a picture before it notices you and bounds off. I find it to be a nice complementary activity to hiking/scrambling, and it has given me a better appreciation for how they live outdoors. The river valleys in the Olys are great spots to wander. I've come across herds of elk, grazing deer, watched the salmon jumping up the Solduc etc. Going solo, or with very quiet friends helps (loud people in popular areas seem to drive away most critters). Binoculars help too.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 11:15 pm 
@meck Thank so much. This is a fun sounding idea! I'm actually going to be on the peninsula for Turkey Day so a river trail there could be on my list! 👍

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 8:18 am 
I go the other direction and walk around cities and towns. Do slower paced stuff I miss out on. Try to be happy I have the ability to walk, even if it's on crutches... The one time I find seeing and talking to people kind of energizing. Farmers markets, urban parks, brewery hopping, architecture strolling, boat rides, etc. You aren't missing anything. You have an opportunity to do and see things you might normally miss out on. Focus on your abilities.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 8:38 am 
If you have the possibility, go find some sunny place. You don't have to travel somewhere exotic. The coast of Ga and SC have some neat islands to explore and people are sociable and friendly. Airfares and accommodation are generally less expensive in winter too.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 9:38 am 
ale_capone wrote:
Farmers markets, urban parks, brewery hopping, architecture strolling, boat rides
Definitely some of my favorite things, thank you for the reminder that those count, too. I have started to use this time to get to some of the urban places I haven't had a chance to because I have been playing in the mountains. smile.gif

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 9:39 am 
RichP wrote:
go find some sunny place.
I usually go during spring break when I've had enough of playing in the snow and rain, I will have to plan something sooner (maybe 2 somethings!) to keep me sane!

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 7:35 pm 
@BootpathGuy I like the Foss River Road on snowshoe, will have to give Miller and Money Creek a go. My favorite part of these roads are the elaborate icicles coming down off the banks on the sides of the roads. Thanks for the tip on the reservoirs, I love the Teanaway area and Roslyn so it will be an excuse to head that way!

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 8:24 pm 
Otters will hang out on lake ice in late winter, sunning themselves. Easiest time of year to spot them.

Off trail rambler
Mikey

Mikey
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 12:14 pm 
Snuffy you did not mention what sort of injury or whatever you are recovering from. There is information about what can be done to improve recovery metabolism so I suggest you look into that. I am periodically amazed when I learn about recovery treatments or supplements for soreness I have acquired yet, no MD, DO, or chiropacter ever mentioned them to me. I have 2 books on sports injury treatment which are helpful. If your legs are not allowing you to keep up with your friends, as you probably know, hiking or snowshoeing on snow is easy on the knee joints if the terrain is not steep. The Wenatchee ridge road west of Bluett Pass is a relatively easy for Nordic skiing or snowshoe travel and often the ridge is above the valley fog-clouds and in the sunshine. The WSDOT pass website has a cam at Bluett Pass so you can get information on the weather conditions, road conditions, and whether the sun is shining.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 2:36 pm 
Take the long view. Your whole life is ahead of you, and rehab is a lifetime process. You're getting ready for next summer. Now is the time to recover, eat right, prepare, and clean the basement. I HIGHLY recommend yoga for rehab. My fibula fracture was clean and simple (one of the 10% that get away without surgery, plate, screws), but I got only about 97% of the mobility back -- that ankle wouldn't flex as far. Then, while doing yoga fully 18 months later, I realized I was favoring that ankle -- afraid to put full weight on the outside. So I challenged it -- a very subtle thing, just more weight on the outside of the foot. Rrrrip. I could feel the scar tissue tearing. Really sore the next few days. Several iterations of this, and I got full mobility back, and no problems since (even though they warned me I was a candidate for arthritis down the road). Moral of story: sometimes it may not heal until you make it heal, and you may have to wait until it's ready. Plus, yoga is practically necessary for longevity and overall health. I've been neglecting it, and I can really tell. Winter is the perfect time for stuff like this, and all those chores you've been saving up all year.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Frango

Frango
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 5:41 pm 
wolffie wrote:
Take the long view. Your whole life is ahead of you, and rehab is a lifetime process. You're getting ready for next summer. Now is the time to recover, eat right, prepare, and clean the basement. I HIGHLY recommend yoga for rehab.
+1 for yoga for rehab. I ruptured my Achilles a couple of years ago - surgery, crutches, cast, the whole shebang. Yoga did a ton towards getting me back on both legs equally and hiking up hills way sooner than I otherwise would have.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 pm 
Mikey wrote:
you did not mention what sort of injury or whatever you are recovering from
I dislocated and broke part of my shoulder into 4 pieces. This means my legs are fine but I have limited use of my right arm. Not a problem for basic hiking but an issue where poles/ice axe etc. are necessary. Or say, both arms. You don't realize how many things you need two arms for until you only have one. I'll admit part of it is mental at this point. I've been out with spikes on and I am still nervous about slipping and reinjuring myself (it's only 3 months out). If it was summer, I would just carry on (I completed my last scramble to graduate 6 weeks after the injury). Ice and snow change things for me. I am definitely into alternative medicine and have gotten several books at the library. I thought about yoga but was worried about how many moves I can do at this point. Hopefully I can add that soon. I am probably just whining more than I should but I had imagine this winter going so much differently...I appreciate everyone's suggestions and perspective.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 7:52 pm 
Frango wrote:
ruptured my Achilles a couple of years ago - surgery, crutches, cast, the whole shebang
Ouch! I'm glad to hear you have healed up well! Thanks for the inspiration. smile.gif

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 7:58 pm 
wolffie wrote:
warned me I was a candidate for arthritis down the road
I've been dealing with arthritis for several years now, I'm sure this isn't going help but I can deal with that. Not sure I'm ready to rip at my scar tissue yet (and I know it's there) but the PT guy is making progress. I had my first MRI last Friday and then I will know for sure what's going on inside and can decide how I want to progress. It's not like I haven't tore anything before but I managed to treat it right, hobble around for a few weeks and then get back out there. Breaking my shoulder (my first fracture) has been a different story. I may just have to switch to a "it's all in my head" mentality and just get back out there. I appreciate your story, reminds me it's okay to take charge of my recovery!