Someone always has to confuse the discussion with actual facts

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
I told her "Not much after you leave this booth wink.gif " She didn't get it shakehead.gif
I'm sure she understood what your intent, she was just being polite/avoiding additional unwanted attention. A dope slap would have been well deserved.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 2:16 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I'm sure she understood what your intent, she was just being polite/avoiding additional unwanted attention. A dope slap would have been well deserved.
thank you for your in-depth analysis of an event you didn't even witness

trestle

trestle
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 2:26 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
She didn't get it shakehead.gif
lol.gif She's not the only one lol.gif thank you

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Chico

Chico
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 8:19 pm 
Comment period closes Nov 23, 2017 at 11:59 PM Mountain Time

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 am 
I haven't gone back and read the 20 pages here but as an NPS employee I'll just throw in my 2 cents. There is a lot of sentiment that this is just a distraction from all of the very real threats this administration poses to NPs. Everyone knows about the huge increase in oil and gas leases on federal land, some right at the doorstep of parks, we're being asked to scuttle reports that mention climate change, we're looking at another 12% cut in a time of huge visitation increases, they've just made it impossible to rehire seasonal employees, Zinke wants to open parks to hunting, etc etc--I'm sure you guys have heard it all. But if they can get everyone worked up about a fee increase, then they back down, it shows that hey, they DO care about the American people and democratic process, right? And meanwhile so much awful stuff goes on that people don't pay as much attention to. But, Zinke et all just have so much disdain for national park types--hikers in particular--that I can also see this as another in a long line of f...you's from this administration. They really do see park users as rich blue state people. He is trying to "democratize" parks and federal lands by prioritizing hunting, atv use, RV use, etc. He is creating a public lands advisory committee with the goal of "improving access" to public lands, made up of members of the recreational industry (such as RV manufacturers)--this should be alarming to people. https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/secretary-zinke-announces-creation-made-america-recreation-advisory-committee And he does not miss a chance to let NPS employees know that it's hunting that's important--these are the real outdoorsman and conservationists. Not you lily-livered urban NP types. I mean, this is the guy that installed the Big Buck Hunter video game in the Interior building (where the NPS employees work) cafeteria. Not a week goes by that we don't get some kind of email like this: https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/secretary-zinke-declares-october-national-hunting-and-fishing-month You'll notice in that last one he places the highest priority on expanding opportunities for hunters and target shooters on federal lands. Funny considering that part of his rationale for shrinking national monuments was that we don't want to increase visitation there, since we just don't have the staffing to deal with it. There is no value, in his mind, of any kind of passive recreation like hiking. He is very clear to us NPS employees that we value the wrong things, and that parks should be open to a much wider variety of uses--he has explicitly stated timber harvesting, for example. I guess the larger point it, don't get too sucked into the fee increase debate. Sure, provide your official comment against it, but there are so many other threats to parks--those need attention too.

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostTue Nov 14, 2017 1:06 pm 
Thanks for this perspective!

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 12:12 pm 
You peons have to pay for my tax havens in the Caymans. Get used to it.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 pm 
Thanks for the insider perspective, kiliki. Very dismaying shakehead.gif

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 10:19 pm 
trestle wrote:
MyFootHurts wrote:
a conspiracy to sell the Grand Canyon to.....
Delaware North is the name you're looking for.
Aramark too.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 12:22 pm 
Our Parks, aptly dubbed "America's best idea" by one writer/historian, were founded shortly after the end of one "gilded age" of our nation. It's hardly a shock that we'd see steps to dismantle them at a moment that will surely be remembered for the greedy waxing of oligarchy during yet another gilded era.

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 12:31 pm 
On Halloween we were sitting out front, handing out candy and spooking the kiddos with decorations. Late in the evening a car pulled up, three kids jumped out, and when we held the candy bowls out to them, they used their arms to push a bagload of candy into each of their satchels and ran back to their parents' car. This is essentially what is happening here - the good will and trust of the public are being taken advantage of by people who feel entitled to power and wealth at the expense of anyone else in existence. I've said it before, and I'll say it till this is all over - those of you who support these villains are not on a "winning team." You're the willing henchmen of uncaring parasites who will tell you what you want to hear until they have taken everything they can from you.

Chico

Chico
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 4:11 pm 
New deadline is now December 22nd!

Chico

Chico
PostWed Dec 13, 2017 9:27 pm 
Comment period closes December 22, 2017 at 11:59 PM Mountain Time

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 am 
A couple new things for NP lovers to keep an eye on. One is Zinke's proposed reorganization of the Dept of the Interior. This would be staggeringly expensive--the government would have to pay to relocate tens of thousands of employees, plus find/remodel new office space, etc--at a time when the department is looking at $1.2 billion worth of cuts. The real reason Zinke wants this is because it will streamline the permitting process for oil and gas revenues. I would generally say that there is no way this could happen in the next few years, but so much is happening that I didn't think possible I can't say that anymore. Zinke has stated this--THIS--is his priority. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2018/01/10/interior-plans-to-move-thousands-of-workers-in-the-biggest-reorganization-in-its-history/?utm_term=.59dbcde83bb9 Probably a lot of people have already seen this in the news, but it was nice to see former AK Governor Tony Knowles stick up for NPs by slamming Zinke and the administration. But I suppose now Zinke will just staff the advisory board with industry people whose interests are financial. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/nearly-all-members-of-national-park-service-advisory-panel-resign-in-frustration/2018/01/16/b322ef5e-fae3-11e7-ad8c-ecbb62019393_story.html?utm_term=.457ac3d6f882