Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Terms of Service I didn't read. Interesting website.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 11:54 am 
While looking up the acronym tl;dr, I came across this website that explains Terms of Service that many of us agree to and haven't (maybe) understood all the terms. I first read about it on Wikipedia. The quote below is from the website: We are a user rights initiative to rate and label website terms & privacy policies, from very good Class A to very bad Class E. Terms of service are often too long to read, but it's important to understand what's in them. Your rights online depend on them. We hope that our ratings can help you get informed about your rights. Do not hesitate to click on a service below, to have more details! You can also get the ratings directly in your browser by installing our web browser add-on: I note that Google gets a Class C and YouTube a Class D. There are not many Class A's. And many sites are still unrated as of yet. I found the various terms of agreement interesting, e.g., Apple iCloud (Unrated): They can delete any of your data (files, music, messages, etc.) at any time and without notice. huh.gif ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 12:48 pm 
Face it! Use the "cloud" and everything you upload is theirs to use as they want. So much for copyright laws!

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 5:18 pm 

christensent

christensent
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 am 
zephyr wrote:
They can delete any of your data (files, music, messages, etc.) at any time and without notice.
This is very common among cloud services. Keep in mind they're going to try really hard to keep your data and if they're a big company they probably have the technological skills to mostly accomplish it. The company's reputation depends on not losing people's data. But if they do, you have no legal recourse. Another surprising common one is that many companies say they'll give out your stored data to anyone at their discretion of appropriateness.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 7:53 pm 
zephyr wrote:
They can delete any of your data (files, music, messages, etc.) at any time and without notice.
This sounds more malicious than its intent: it's more like a catch-all phrase that means "If your data is accidentally lost due to a failure on our part, whoopsie, we're not liable for it." They're not twiddling their Snidely Whiplash mustaches behind the scenes, plotting to delete your pictures without telling you. Like christensent said, companies that offer Cloud services do not want to lose your business, and will not be careless about losing your data. There's a reason server programmers get paid the big bucks to ensure that redundant data backup and mirroring works flawlessly.

Chico

Chico
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 8:26 pm 
With drive prices being what they are (cheap) why even store stuff in the "cloud"? I don't. Currently have two 4 TB external USB drives mirrored. Upload my data to the one and sync the two on a regular schedule. Granted I "have" to store some stuff in the "cloud" but I also store the same data on my drives. Heard/read stories of people that had ALL their data (usually photos) on a remote server (Flickr or whatever) and it all got deleted for whatever reason. So, ALL gone! Stupid! Basically they were asking for it and I have no sympathy.