Forum Index > Gear Talk > help educate me on subarus
Previous :: Next Topic  
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 7:08 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I don't get why so many hikers out on the MLH are always in such a freakin' hurry to get to and from the TH? I thought hiking and taking drives in the country were supposed to be leisurely and relaxing?  rolleyes.gif  Annoying.

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 5:46 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Ya think the price of their gas may have something to do with that?

Certainly, gasoline is more like $6-9 gallon in Europe, mostly taxes of course. 

I rented a station wagon in Spain, it had a 6 speed manual,  but also an auto shutdown/restart mechanism.   Stop at a stoplight,  clutch depressed, engine turns off automatically.  Press gas pedal a bit to go, engine restarts automatically and instantly.  Mileage was in the high 30s / low 40s.   It wasn't gutless either. 

The VW diesel emissions debacle is interesting-- as US EPA emissions standards seem to be set to just exclude a whole category of small displacement high efficiency diesel engines popular in Europe, while allowing less efficient larger diesel engines used in trucks / commercial vehicles.  So I wonder if this diesel emissions standards are more about sustaining US oil consumption/us car makers than about protecting the health of us residents.

Of course in Europe a car is more of luxury than an essential than it is here in the USA , particularly the western states.   It is much more practical to live carless in Europe.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I rented a station wagon in Spain, it had a 6 speed manual, but also an auto shutdown/restart mechanism. Stop at a stoplight, clutch depressed, engine turns off automatically. Press gas pedal a bit to go, engine restarts automatically and instantly. Mileage was in the high 30s / low 40s. It wasn't gutless either.

I am currently in the US and I have a rental car (European sedan). It's an automatic and does the same thing (the engine turns off when I come to a complete stop for more than a few seconds).
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 8:56 pm 
The rental BMWs in the ReachNow carshare fleet do the same thing.  It was a bit unnerving the first time I drove one and it shut down at a stoplight.  Fired right back up quickly when I touched the gas though.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 6:48 pm 
I made over 70 trips to Europe the last 25 years.  Every time I was walking around Id look into cars and trucks (yes there are some) and I've NEVER seen an automatic transmission in an automobile.  Ever!  Sigh, there are some things the Europeans do better than us.  Sadly.

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

Abraham Lincoln
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 11:02 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
there are some things the Europeans do better than us.  Sadly.

Uh, yeah, not some things, most things, at least those things having to do with quality of life.  Why sadly?  We are a democracy, just like they are.  WE are responsible for our own s**t.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > help educate me on subarus
  Happy Birthday i8seattle, MrDobalina907, PLC92084!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: