Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The fantastic truth - Where the elements were forged
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 27, 2017 11:12 am 
The recent observation of two neutron stars merging in a blast creating 5 earth masses of gold plus other very heavy elements put this topic into the astronomy forefront last week. An interesting color coded periodic table shows the sources of every element..in your body, in the rocks, in the flowers and trees...every single atom, no exceptions, was created within a star or the explosion of a star... Stars are onion like with different layers synthesizing heavier elements via fusion...with still heavier ones requiring the energies of a supernova or neutron star merger...

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Oct 27, 2017 11:59 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
...the sources of every element..in your body....
What? We're all made of stars?

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 27, 2017 12:10 pm 
there's something wrong with that chart there in the first post - I'm not seeing any pergium, neutronium, or dilithium crystals on that list.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chico

Chico
PostFri Oct 27, 2017 2:02 pm 
moonspots wrote:
What? We're all made of stars?
Does that mean we all rate a star on that sidewalk in Hollywood?

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Oct 28, 2017 3:50 am 
"We are stardust; we are golden. We are million year old carbon." Joni Mitchell/C.S.N.Y.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 31, 2017 9:41 am 
More like billlions! pretty wild

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 2:51 pm 
I think normal stellar fusion can't make heavier than Iron -- everything heavier requires a supernova. Also interesting: the Earth is heated largely by radioactive decay (mostly uranium); they calculate that solar heating is not nearly enough. If you really want to blow your mind, study some astronomy. The elegance is beautiful; everything we've learned, we've learned by just watching the sky, one way or another, and thinking about it. No science fiction writer could invent anything so strange.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
pcg

pcg
PostTue Nov 14, 2017 2:36 pm 
wolffie wrote:
the Earth is heated largely by radioactive decay (mostly uranium); they calculate that solar heating is not nearly enough.
I believe that's correct, but the statement can lead to incorrect conclusions by many who are not aware of the fact that most of the earth's current heat is latent heat left over from when gravitational compression formed the earth into a dense hot sphere from disparate cooler material. So when you see some geyser releasing energy, that's from heat that was created when the earth was formed, not from heat created by radioactive decay. Hopefully some astronomer or geologist will correct me if I'm wrong. I find this stuff fascinating.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 pm 
The incredible back story..observing this event solved a huge number of questions in one whack