Forum Index > Gear Talk > IRC tubeless road bike tires are real nice
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 5:12 pm 
I'm using Orange Seal in the tires of my new-to-me bike (Ibis Mojo 3, plus size tires + full sus FTW). So far so good, although next season is going to be the real test. The guys at the shop seemed to indicate that was a good choice, so... there you go.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 6:05 pm 
From what I've heard, Orange Seal has bigger particles than Stan's, and is more likely to seal a puncture. I don't think you can mix them though?

schifferj

schifferj
PostFri May 18, 2018 12:55 pm 
I did try the IRC RBCC tubeless tires and was rolling along very well until I wasn't. I'd ridden them for about 600 miles at 80 psi with no apparent wear to the tires. Last weekend I was riding along and felt something that felt like water on my leg. Lo and behold, it was Stans sealant. When I got off the bike the whole backend of the bike was covered with a white latex mess! I hit it with a CO2 inflator and immediately found the source of the leak. It was high up on the sidewall just outside the bead. There was a white spout of sealant spewing out of the hole. I rotated the hole to where the sealant could reach it and put another little shot of CO2 into the tire and got the same result. Ultimately I had to remove the tire (no easy chore) and put a tube into that sticky white mess and then reseat the tire which was extremely difficult and messy. I exhausted my entire vocabulary of expletives. Bottom line? Tubeless tires on road bikes is a huge fail. Had that been a tubed tire I could have had a new tube in the tire, filled up, and on the road in no time. I've still got the front tire running tubeless but I'm carrying a folded Continental Grand Pris 4000. If the front one fails I'll just cut it off the rim and put on the new tire. Lastly, I'm swearing off Stans. It has failed for me on all three occasions when I needed it to work. I replaced it with Orange Seal in my mountain bike and hopefully will have better results.