Forum Index > Trail Talk > Injuries and Fighting the Winter Blues
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 2:51 pm 
I've had foot and ankle issues for years now, and have just been pushing through. I'm seeing a new PT now, after not being able to walk even a mile or two without extreme pain. He's prohibited hiking and walking for exercise while we get to the bottom of my issues. I'm struggling, too. bawl.gif It will be at least January before I'm allowed to try walking again, while I re-heal and strengthen. You bet I'm going to be making yoga a higher priority once I'm cleared for that, as lack of flexibility has been part of the problem. I'm taking this time to get my home in order (theoretically!) And get my website up-to-date. I also enjoy birding. I like to take drives where I stop at lots of different spots for birding without walking too much (like up in the Sakgit Flats area or Whidbey Island.) I also like to just go for a long drive. Bring the camp stove, lots of food, books, blankets, a chair. Head out the Mt. Loop or out to the Peninsula. Find some off-the-beaten path place to hang out. Find a coffee shop, book store or yarn store. Get a few days in a yurt at a state park and hang out. I also knit, so that helps. it relieves so much stress, and it's productive and creative. But I can really feel the lack of exercise in the wilderness. I truly depend on wilderness and QUIET for my mental health.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 3:14 pm 
Since I fly fish, I like to go float tubing when I am trying to take it easy. It is easy to find a deserted lake in the winter and on a foggy day even an urban lake can feel like it is remote. Once the ice forms on smaller lakes, there is still open water to mess around on...just prepare for the cold temps. That can be a nice challenge itself. And the hydro therapy: Kicking with swim fins, immersion in cold water, and the water pressure itself...all seem to help reduce edema around my angry Achilles. I have float tubed on Roosevelt Lake all months of the winter and it doesn't take much distance to put you out of sight and feeling lonely. A small boat, or craft would keep your butt out of the water if you are susceptible to cold butts...hahaha Anyway, I have sated my wilderness jones this way, perhaps it can work for you too.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 8:45 pm 
Hiker Mama wrote:
He's prohibited hiking and walking for exercise while we get to the bottom of my issues. I'm struggling, too. bawl.gif
I guess I don't have much to complain about, I haven't been TOLD not to hike! That's awful!
Hiker Mama wrote:
I also like to just go for a long drive. Bring the camp stove, lots of food, books, blankets, a chair. Head out the Mt. Loop or out to the Peninsula. Find some off-the-beaten path place to hang out. Find a coffee shop, book store or yarn store. Get a few days in a yurt at a state park and hang out.
Those are some of my favorite things, too. Thank goodness we have so many interesting places to explore in WA!

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 8:49 pm 
Schenk wrote:
A small boat, or craft would keep your butt out of the water if you are susceptible to cold butts...hahaha
I'm cold just thinking about that!!!! Brrrrr... This sounds delightful in theory but I am a complete cold wuss. Maybe an Alaskan cruise where I can stay warm inside and watch the beauty roll by. eek.gif

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
nordique

nordique
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 4:59 pm 
All of my surgeries were orthopedic but I started young, with my injuries, and became adept at getting around on crutches back in the days of very heavy plaster casts. All of my six surgeries involved my right leg (due to sniper fire in Vietnam in 1968) and, after the initial hospitalizations, I was able to be mobile and do short hikes, ride a bike, and get up easy slab climbs. I had my right knee replaced in 2008 and my right ankle replaced in 2014, and got back to crutching up hikes and hobbling up climbs after each procedure. After the two joint replacements, my goal was to crutch down the hill to the nearest Starbucks, as soon as possible. It took awhile, in both cases, to be able to crutch down the hill and back up again--but it was so great to be able to get out! I've done a fair number of shorter hikes on crutches. My advice is just to try to stay active and get outdoors! Plus one small caveat: all those early injuries will revisit you in your old age and add a bit more pain to your activities--which, for me, have always been hiking and climbing. Arthritis is one of the downsides of aging. Thank heavens for climbing gyms--since it's hard for some of us to deal with the approaches for outdoor climbing! And it's easier for me to be active now that I've been retired for almost a decade! So, hang in there, and stay as active as you can! So far this year, I hiked over 100 days and climbed over 100 days.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 7:45 am 
nordique wrote:
My advice is just to try to stay active and get outdoors! Plus one small caveat: all those early injuries will revisit you in your old age and add a bit more pain to your activities--which, for me, have always been hiking and climbing. Arthritis is one of the downsides of aging.
Thank you! Yes, I have been dealing with arthritis for some years now and try to stay moving as much as possible. I'm starting to notice that same advice can apply to my current injury. Even though it is stiff and achy, moving helps makes it less so. I just have to be happy with the little things for awhile longer... smile.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 9:13 am 
Total knee replacement fall 2018 is Plan A for me. Gonna be tough heading into 2018-19 ski season at home while my wife and buds are out skiing.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri Dec 01, 2017 8:16 am 
Good luck Steve. You'll be back, and bionic! My girls mom had hers done. Went from ten year mid west couch cripple to going on hikes with me. Amazing turn around. She liked it so much, she decided to get a fake hip too. rolleyes.gif I'm currently rehabbing from an abdominal surgery.. no big deal though. I was just a couple strains away from dropping my small intestines into my sack. clown.gif Only been two weeks and I am ok to start moving and easy hiking. Probably be skiing in a nother couple weeks...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Dec 01, 2017 10:27 am 
Best o' luck with the recovery, ale. I'm skiing this season, albeit mellower than in the past. I hope to seeya out there.

reststep

reststep
PostFri Dec 01, 2017 11:14 am 
Just curious, do plan on skiing after the knee replacement?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
wakerobin

wakerobin
PostWed Dec 13, 2017 1:08 pm 
I spent a good chunk of this year rehabbing a torn meniscus (Surgeon gave me option of PT or surgery, I chose PT.) Then when that was finally getting trust worthy I injured my IT band in the same leg. That was finally getting better and I had a hysterectomy! The recovery from that was pretty easy (laproscopic surgery for the win.) But my stomach muscles still get sore if I over do it. Now my sad gallbladder is starting to act up again-I was going to have it out last spring, but the husband broke his driving foot and had to have tenuous surgery to put it all back together. I've been babying it along okay, but spent the wee hours of Monday morning in the ER in pretty severe pain (I'm 42 and this is the first time I've ever felt the need for a trip to the ER.) So it's been a long year, I've been in tears a lot, more out of frustration than pain. I am just trying to keep the outlook "That which does not kill me...." I have been exploring most of our close in state parks. Saint Edwards is lovely. Also, do some Google-ing of King County Back Country Trails. There are some nice ones, and low enough elevation to not have snow. (I like the Green River Natural Area in Auburn.)

Between the silence of the mountains and the crashing of the sea...
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostWed Dec 13, 2017 9:35 pm 
@wakerobin Wow!! That was/is a lot for one year! I hear that gallbladder stuff is awful painful. You have a good outlook motto. Mine is that the "mountains will still be there". I agree, sometimes the frustration is higher than the pain but I try not to be too depressed about it. St. Edwards is a very nice park, lots of trails. I live up north and enjoy Lord Hill Regional Park and Little Mountain. We've been out to Whidbey Island and Kettles, too. I'm learning to appreciate those year round trails!

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 1:13 pm 
For those of you who are stuck with hiking gentle trails while recovering, I'd like to point you toward my website, [url]http://thehikermama.com.[/url] I'm working on an online hiking guide for trails that are family friendly. I have a bunch of local trails on there that are easy and gentle. It's a years-long work in progress, and I'm not a prolific as Craig Romano. dizzy.gif Go to my website and click Hiking Guide in the menu, where you'll see a dropdown menu with lots of choices. (It's easier to navigate on computer rather than phone, but is supposed to still work on mobile devices.) Speaking of Craig Romano, I've had the chance to review a couple of his new guide books. He's working on a series of urban hikes in different areas, and there are many trails that don't rise to the top on other books or websites, but are still worthy of exploration. You may find that you're the only one there, too. I have been cleared to do short and gentle hikes once a week (under 2 miles, not too rough) and to do some short walks as well (up to 3 times a week). I'm still working through a lot of pain, though, and it's tough this time of year to take the time to get out or even take a walk around the block. Looking forward to the new year, though, and getting stronger.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 11:31 am 
reststep wrote:
yes, of course, albeit a bit mellower than what I skied 10 years ago. There are lots of post-TKA surgery skiers.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 1:14 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
reststep wrote:
yes, of course, albeit a bit mellower than what I skied 10 years ago. There are lots of post-TKA surgery skiers.
Good to know, as I'm getting it done in a couple of weeks.