Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > 'Environmental Nightmare' After Thousands Of Atlantic Salmon Escape Fish Farm 08/24/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 6:01 pm 
back to atlantic salmon... this is bound to happen here. 125,000 salmon die in disease outbreak at Lewis fish farms

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 6:35 pm 
Andrew Thomson, reporting for BBC Scotland in the above-cited article wrote:
"Not a lot is known about the infection..."
^ This is why I say policy should err on the side of caution - because they don't know. The other related articles linked to paint a rather grim picture: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-38966188 http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-40347779

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 3:57 pm 
Wednesday October 18, 2017 14:36 PDT WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE Salmon retention to close on North Fork Toutle and Green rivers Action: Release all salmon on the North Fork Toutle and Green rivers (Cowlitz County). Species affected: Coho and chinook salmon. Effective date: Oct. 21, 2017 until further notice. Location: The North Fork Toutle and Green rivers from the mouth upstream. Reason for action: The returns of chinook and coho salmon to the North Toutle Hatchery this year have been well below forecasts. Under current salmon fishing regulations on the North Fork Toutle and Green rivers, WDFW projects that not enough coho or chinook will reach the hatchery to meet egg take goals. Closing the salmon fishing season in these two rivers will increase the number of hatchery fish available for broodstock and help ensure future hatchery returns. Information contact: 360-696-6211. For latest information press *1010. -WDFW- ========================================================= .... and now for some good news: Friday October 20, 2017 15:06 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Recreational Fishing to Reopen in the Quillayute, Dickey, and Hoh Rivers Within Olympic National Park PORT ANGELES, WA: Olympic National Park is re-opening the Hoh, Quillayute, and Dickey Rivers to recreational fishing within park boundaries on Saturday, October 21. Recent rain events over the last 48 hours drastically increased river flows, allowing for unimpeded upstream migration of salmon and the re-opening of sport fishing. The closure on October 16 was designed to maximize protection of salmon in the lower portions of each river due to concerns about low river flows impeding salmon migration. The Hoh River was at historically low flows during the closure and the Hoh Tribe closed its treaty fishery during this low flow period. The Quileute Tribe and Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife also closed treaty and sport fisheries in the Quillayute and Dickey Rivers. For more information about fishing in Olympic National Park, including a complete copy of the current fishing regulations, please visit the park’s website at www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/fishing.htm. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife fishing closure information is posted at https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/. -NPS- ========================================================= Friday October 20, 2015 15:38 PDT WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE Hoh and South Fork Hoh rivers to re-open to fishing Action: Re-open the Hoh and South Fork Hoh rivers outside of Olympic National Park waters to fishing. Fishing regulations are as listed in WDFW's 2017-18 "Sport Fishing Rules" pamphlet. Effective date: Oct. 21, 2017. Species affected: All species. Location: The Hoh and South Fork Hoh rivers outside Olympic National Park. Reason for action: Recent rainfall has increased flows, allowing salmon to migrate upstream to spawning areas. Further Information: The Olympic National Park is also re-opening waters in the Hoh River within the Park's boundaries at the mouth of the river. For Park regulations, visit: https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/fishing.htm Information contact: WDFW Region 6 Office: (360) 249-4628. -WDFW-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 10:01 am 
From Crosscut: Are farm-raised salmon a ‘pollutant’? Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 12:15 pm 
Daniel Jack Chasan, in the 'Crosscut' article cited just above by RumiDude wrote:
The federal agencies had, among other things, simply ignored the government’s own orca recovery plan, which noted “compelling evidence that sea lice … are transmitted from salmon farms to wild salmon.”
(* emphasis added *) Okay, so where is this evidence? Where is it in print? What is the title of the peer-reviewed study on this?

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 1:52 pm 
Ski wrote:
Okay, so where is this evidence? Where is it in print? What is the title of the peer-reviewed study on this?
You might ask the author of the article, Daniel Jack Chasan. I am not sure how you can contact him because I don't see an email link for him. I also don't know how to find the government's orca recovery plan. I am not advocating one way or the other on this entire issue. I read the opinion piece and decided it was relevant to the discussion here so I shared it. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 2:36 pm 
It is definitely relevant. The questions of whether or not the farm-raised fish can and do transmit parasites (sea lice, etc.) and/or diseases to wild fish are not being definitively answered with any degree of certainty. What my eyes see is a lot of speculation and conjecture - from both sides.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 23, 2017 8:45 pm 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 23, 2017 11:25 pm 
you are what you eat gag.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 27, 2017 8:23 pm 
Friday October 27, 2017 17:02 PDT WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE Anglers must release all salmon except hatchery coho on Snohomish, Skykomish, Snoqualmie and Wallace Rivers Action: Release all salmon except for hatchery coho (marked with a clipped adipose fin) on the Snohomish, Skykomish, Snoqualmie and Wallace Rivers. Effective dates: Sunday, Oct. 29, through Dec. 31, 2017. Species affected: All salmon. Locations: Snohomish River, mouth confluence with Skykomish and Snoqualmie. Skykomish River, mouth to confluence of North and South Forks. Snoqualmie River, mouth to Snoqualmie Falls. Wallace River, mouth to above hatchery water intake. Reason for action: Spawning ground surveys, counts at the Sunset Falls trap, and Wallace Hatchery rack returns indicate that the run sizes of coho and pink salmon in the Snohomish watershed are well below pre-season forecasts. To protect future runs, spawning escapement goals must be met. Fisheries may be reopened if escapement goals are projected to be met. Additional information: Gamefish and trout remain open as described in the 2017-18 Fishing Rules Pamphlet. Information contact: WDFW, Mill Creek, Region 4 Office, (425) 775-1311. (* emphasis added *) ========================================================= Friday October 27, 2017 16:48 PDT WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE Sections of the Bogachiel and Calawah rivers to close to fishing Action: Close sections of the Bogachiel and Calawah rivers to all fishing. Effective date: Oct. 30, 2017 until further notice. Species affected: All species. Locations: Bogachiel River, between Highway 101 and Wilson's boat ramp. Calawah River, downstream of the Highway 101 Bridge. Reason for action: WDFW previously closed these river sections to salmon retention when low flows created difficult conditions for migrating salmon, impeding their movement upstream. Harvest estimates to date have exceeded preseason expectations. WDFW is closing these river sections to all fishing to protect chinook that are now moving upriver into spawning areas. Additional information: The Quileute Tribe is also closing their fisheries until further notice. Information contact: Region 6 Office, David Low: (360) 249-4628. (* emphasis added *) ========================================================= Friday October 27, 2017 15:10 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Emergency Closure of Recreational Fishing in the Quillayute and Dickey Rivers within Olympic National Park Due to conservation concerns about wild fall Chinook salmon and current harvest levels, Olympic National Park is closing the Quillayute and Dickey River mouths to fishing from October 29 to November 6. This closure also includes portions of each river within the boundaries of the park. The National Park Service consulted with the Quileute Tribe and the State Department of Fish and Wildlife to determine the need for this closure. “The National Park Service provides diverse fishing opportunities to park visitors, but we have significant concerns about the wild Chinook in the Quillayute River” said Superintendent Sarah Creachbaum. The emergency closure will maximize the protection of migrating wild fall Chinook salmon through the end of the run. The portions of rivers within Olympic National Park are expected to re-open to sport fishing on November 6, 2017. Olympic National Park regulations require the release of all wild steelhead, salmon, and trout and allow for the harvest of up to three hatchery adult salmon in the Quillayute River and one hatchery adult salmon in the Dickey River. This is the second emergency closure during the month of October in the Quillayute River. The first closure occurred from October 16 to 20 to protect migrating salmon during extreme low river flows. For more information about fishing in the park, including a complete copy of the current fishing regulations, please visit the park website at http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/fishing.htm. -NPS-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 12:39 am 
Monday November 13, 2017 15:13 PST
Wild Fish Conservancy wrote:
Today, Wild Fish Conservancy is proud to announce we've filed a citizen lawsuit against Cooke Aquaculture in response to the Cypress Island net pen disaster. With this lawsuit, we plan to hold Cooke responsible for the negligent release of over 100,000 farmed Atlantic salmon into public waters. Under the Clean Water Act, each one of these salmon is considered a separate violation. For every violation, Cooke could be subject to pay a penalty costing up to $52,414 per violation per day. The August release in Deepwater Bay is not an isolated incident. Rather, the escape represents yet another act of negligence in a long line of transgressions on the part of the Atlantic salmon net pen industry in Puget Sound, including three major escape events in the 1990’s and a deadly disease outbreak in 2012. In the hopes of preventing future harm to Puget Sound and the critical marine habitats on which Washingtonians and wildlife rely, we’re taking legal action today to put Cooke Aquaculture’s actions leading up to and during the spill under legal and public scrutiny for the benefit of our Sound and our salmon. To learn more about our campaign to ban Atlantic salmon net pens, visit oursound-oursalmon.org Stay tuned for more news going forward. Read the press release HERE: http://wildfishconservancy.org/13nov2017pressrelease/at_download/file Sincerely, Kurt Beardslee Executive Director Wild Fish Conservancy

mike

mike
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 10:20 am 
State senator Kevin Ranker is introducing a bill to outlaw farming atlantic salmon.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 am 
Not surprising. If you don't like it, ban it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
peltoms

peltoms
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 10:21 am 
Had a chance to examine a Cooke Aquaculture operation in Chile. Erasmo Glacier Collapse

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Gregory

Gregory
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 6:44 am