Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Nov 14, 2017 2:21 pm 
So, I wasn't sure whether to put this topic here, or under Gear. I don't want to start another trekking pole debate, so this question is primarily for trekking pole users. I went on a somewhat steep, but short (5-1/2 miles), hike last weekend. I did it without my trekking poles (was carrying a fly rod). Now my Achilles tendon on my left leg is sore, and a little inflamed. Nothing else was really different about the hike, except no poles. I did not realize how much my gait/stride form changes when i use poles, even my weight shifts forward when I walk using them. - Has anyone else who is used to using trekking poles noticed more stress on their Achilles when not using trekking poles?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Nov 14, 2017 8:14 pm 
Haven't noticed any ill effect from not using poles but I could imagine this is possible. Probably good to not over rely on poles.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Nov 14, 2017 9:59 pm 
Going uphill, the primary pushing muscles are your quads, glutes and gastrocs (via Achilles tendon) so all of them are going to work harder if you don't have the usual assist from your poles. I usually feel it in my quads when I go without the poles but I've never tested myself on really steep stuff without poles. They really do affect your gait though and you generally won't know it until you go without. Hope your Achilles heals up quick!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 10:55 am 
Thanks Zachster, I hope so too. I would hate to miss any of what could be a great ski season. It really hurts today, became worse overnight...while sleeping?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 8:30 pm 
interesting hypothesis. My 70 year old bro-in-law is too macho to use hiking poles most of the time, unless "really needed" and he is having achilles issues. He is not one for listening to advice, but maybe I will try running this theory by him. Thanks!

friluftsliv
Frango

Frango
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 8:37 pm 
Poles help. A LOT. I have a surgically repaired Achilles on one side and a regularly inflamed one on the other that can attest to that.

Frango

Frango
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 8:48 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Thanks Zachster, I hope so too. I would hate to miss any of what could be a great ski season. It really hurts today, became worse overnight...while sleeping?
The tendon will tighten at night when your feet are relaxed - it’s common to have worse pain in the morning that settles a little as you start moving and things warm up. One thing that has been shown to help,are eccentric heel drops. Google Alfredson et al heel drop technique and do it religiously - it really is the only thing out there that truly helps.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Nov 18, 2017 1:50 pm 
As someone previously afflicted by both acute and stubborn, chronic achilles inflamation, in my experience the best thing for acute (ie temporary) achilles inflammation is probably icing it twice daily, preferably after mild exercise (like walking). Some recommend adding NSAIDS to the program, but I prefer to avoid taking these things. The best thing for chronic achilles inflammation, in my experience suffering achilles inflammation for over two years, and as Frango mentioned, is the progressive eccentric weighted heel drops from differing angles, as described here. Note that it made all the difference to shift the angle in various ways as I did this exercise (see my last post on page 2 of the linked thread).