Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 11:43 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Something to remember is that Fred Beckey was a public figure; he was an author, he made public appearances, he traded on his accomplishments, etc.
Therefore people have the right to say whatever they want about him, without knowing him and going strictlty on what they’ve heard, postmortem in a public forum that includes people he was friends with. It’s okay because he’s a public figure and not someone you actually know. People’s feelings don’t matter because YOU’RE RIGHT. You KNOW you are. This thread is borderline political, riding on the current television agenda. You may think that you can shove your political correctness down people’s throats. I think we all have learned that it doesn’t mean people are listening or think as you do.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 12:47 am 
Layback wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
Something to remember is that Fred Beckey was a public figure; he was an author, he made public appearances, he traded on his accomplishments, etc.
Therefore you have the right to say whatever you want about him, without knowing him and going strictlty on what you’ve heard, postmortem in a public forum that includes people he was friends with. It’s okay because he’s a public figure and not someone you actually know. People’s feelings don’t matter because YOU’RE RIGHT.
You forgot to add this part of what I wrote: "There is nothing wrong with that. But with that also comes the fact that public figures are open to public criticism unlike a private citizen." Fred was a public figure, that is undeniable. Are you suggesting that public figures are beyond critical comment? My only comments about Fred Beckey has been to note that everything I have read in this thread I have read before, sometimes many years ago, either in books, articles, or forums similar to this one.
Layback wrote:
This thread is borderline political, riding on the current television agenda. You may think that you can shove your political correctness down people’s throats. I think we all have learned that it doesn’t mean people are listening or think as you do.
I have no idea what you are getting at with this. As I don't own a TV or watch it except for an occasional sporting event when I am at a pub, I am not sure what the current television agenda is. I am not trying to shove my or anyone else's "political correctness down people’s throats". Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 1:01 am 
How about just letting each person tell their own experiences or feelings about Beckey? If people want to praise his accomplishments in glowing terms, then by all means let them do so. And if a different person wants to express their discomfort with some of his behavior, let them do so as well. Let each person name their own experience. Is it so hard to respect that someone may have a different opinion of Beckey's legacy, without resorting to criticisms, misquotes, name-calling, impugning someone's motives, hypothesizing political agendas, or demanding that someone be silent because someone else won't like it? Simply engage in civil discourse. Speak freely and proudly regarding your own feelings about Beckey's life. And allow other to do the same. And maybe, hopefully, when someone says something different from you, don't attack them, but listen and learn from each other. I know that's not how the internet usually works, but we could still try to do better.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 9:45 pm 
People are too goddamn sensitive these days! LMAO at some parts of this thread! I definitely have nothing but respect for said Dude! Never gonna give any of my CAGs up, if it werent for legends like Fred I'd be some sorry ass city boy. Would've love to meet you Mr. Beckey, this Rainier's for you! Cheers! Climb on friend! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 9:33 am 
Memorials are for the living, not the deceased. Speaking the truth of one's personal experience with the deceased is legitimate. I never met Fred, I benefited from his guide books.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 12:53 pm 
How about just stfu on a memorial thread if you don't have anything nice to say about the person. Family members of the deceased come here and read this crap. Have some respect. This isn't all about you. If that bothers you, :<removed by moderator> That includes YOU.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 1:40 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
This isn't all about you.
Tom it isn't about you either, consider taking your own advice.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 1:46 pm 
Chill out everyone, please! Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 1:58 pm 
I understand where you're coming from Tom, and realize the intent of the initial post was to pay tribute to Fred. And most all have. But this is a public forum, and as long as people follow the posting guidelines, they should be free to express their opinions, whether or not they align with the initial poster or the majority. We should all agree it's OK to disagree. That's the beauty of an uncensored (or reasonably censored) public forum. If the expectation was for a more controlled environment and message, a public forum might not have been the best medium. But my guess is that the feelings of some just caught others off guard.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 4:22 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
We should all agree it's OK to disagree. That's the beauty of an uncensored (or reasonably censored) public forum.
up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 6:31 pm 
Hope all can agree to disagree and revert to a sense of community. Good news is the calendar voting will start tonight.

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 9:00 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
How about just stfu on a memorial thread if you don't have anything nice to say about the person. Family members of the deceased come here and read this crap.
Couldnt agree more amigo! Start another thread already for all those negative vibes. Its gettin pretty f### comical already! You know Fred's up there laughin his ass off right now, just like me! Cheers to all of you!! drink.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Nov 18, 2017 12:01 am 
It's hard to imagine how someone's memory is honored by directing crude insults toward other members, even if it's couched in acronyms or ### marks. I think Beckey would be honored better by elevating the level of discourse.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Nov 18, 2017 2:42 pm 
I had the pleasure of climbing with Fred in the Revelation Mountains north of Lake Clark National Park in Alaska later on in his climbing career. He was 80 years old at the time yet he faithfully shouldered his load as a team player. We flew with a ski-plane onto a glacier that had perhaps never been visited by climbers. He brought me into a spectacular mountainous area that I likely would never have visited. This is the remembrance that is boldly rooted in my mind. He brought me somewhere that I would not have been to otherwise. It is a a statement that is undoubtedly echoed by others when reflecting on his influence in their lives. I am forever thankful to him.

MeganBond
Megan E. Bond

MeganBond
Megan E. Bond
PostMon Apr 16, 2018 12:03 am 
Fred Beckey died October of last year. The words "sexist" and "womanizer" were used in this forum's thread in the weeks following his death, to describe him. It was also alluded to on this thread that he treated women poorly. As his biographer, I am seeking information about him and various facets of his life and personality, and investigating if these descriptions are correct. I invite members of this forum - particularly those that have made such references or understand them to be accurate based on personal encounters - to please connect with me to share your story - or to pass on this request to others who might have a narrative of their own to discuss. Your anonymity, and theirs, is assured. Please contact me either through this board's message center, or at: mbondpauli(at)hotmail(dot)com. .......................... I would appreciate it if no derogatory statements about my request follow this post or be made on this forum. I invite you to contact me via private email should you have comments or questions. Thank you.