Forum Index > Trail Talk > SE Olympics (Lake Cushman) access info requested
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MRGurley

MRGurley
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 9:19 am 
I'm going to be in the Lake Cushman / SE Olympics area this weekend. I don't do a lot of hiking/climbing up that way, so don't know what conditions are like this time of year. I've been up Elinor in early June (just as the "summer" trail opened), but was thinking of heading up Washington this time. Is NF-2419 clear and passable to the trailhead or have you all gotten significant snow already? How about the route itself? If Elinor/Washington don't seem feasible, maybe a lower destination? Any helpful hints and beta would be appreciated. Thanks. ~ michael

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 9:25 am 
The Olympics just got a huge amount of snow down to 3000-3500' largely ending today. Higher peaks would be impractical without considerable avalanche knowledge.

MRGurley

MRGurley
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 9:29 am 
Dang! OK. I'll look for something lower. Thanks for the heads-up.

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 12:06 pm 
If you look carefully at the Gurgle Earth topography, you can deduce the glacial history. Look at the lower Skokomish vis-a-vis Lake CUshman. You can see how the continental ice sheet dammed those rivers, and how the Skokomish subsequently drained. Lower Skokomish can be a good dumpster-dive low-elevation hike when weather and avy up higher is bad.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
MRGurley

MRGurley
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 5:23 pm 
If you have specific trail or destination recommendations, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

murrbn

murrbn
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 8:05 pm 
Mt Rose The top is only 4300ft but the trailhead begins way lower so you still get a solid 3500ft elevation gain. I have used it quite a bit as a early season conditioner since it is so much lower. The trailhead is right across the street from Cushman Not sure about avalanche danger near the top though. I know the last 50 ft or so is pretty steep compared to the rest of the hike.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 10:14 pm 
Better hike the Big Creek trail before the log the first mile of it. Timber harvest tags everywhere in the first mile of the half of the loop below Dick's rock. I think people can drive to the lower Ellinor trail head with caution. I was there today but started at Big Creek. I'd be shocked if you could drive to the Mount Washington trail head. A few pictures of today's hike on my facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/MossWalks/ Lots of snow well below the upper trail head.

Dr. T

Dr. T
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 3:45 pm 
Just talked to a ranger about the staircase area for this weekend, I was planning a trip out there as well...she said a big storm is suppose to hit Sunday-Thursday, with Sunday having a 24 hour flood warning, strong winds with gusts up to 35mph, likely 3 inches of rain in 24 hours I looked on NOAA, same info She recommended that I don't hike in the area during this time Any thoughts?

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 6:43 pm 
Stay out of the woods when winds are likely to be high. It’s not just full trees that are dangerous. A branch falling 150’ butt end down can be a bad thing.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
MRGurley

MRGurley
PostSun Nov 19, 2017 10:15 pm 
Mt Rose was a great recommendation. Didn't get there until 11:15 on Saturday. Hit the trail at 11:30 and returned to vehicle by 3:15. The late start worked in my favor as everyone that went up earlier beat a nice snowshoe/boot track in what turned-out to be some DEEP snow (someone said they measured it between 5-6' at the summit) after passing the loop junction.