Forum Index > Gear Talk > Lightweight glove underneath Mitten Set Up
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
murrbn

murrbn
PostSat Nov 18, 2017 10:36 pm 
Have any of you used a lightweight glove underneath a Mitten? Recommend set ups?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Nov 18, 2017 11:02 pm 
In New England where it tended to get really really cold sometimes, I'd use thin liner gloves with dachstein or pile mittens (depending on how brutally cold it was) and a hard shell mitten shell with a gauntlet and wrist leash. Thus no frostbite from quick adjustments to metal zippers, camera gear, etc. Works well. Out here I sometimes use a thin glove under the mitten shell but can't remember the last time I used all three layers at once.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 19, 2017 1:29 am 
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Nov 19, 2017 4:31 pm 
Yes. OR has sold a decent mitten shell in the past and may still offer one. I don't think their shells included a leash but it's not hard to sew one on with a slipknot and stopper knot for the wrist loop.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 11:51 am 
I can dig through my stuff at home to find the exact model, but having chronically cold hands I broke down a few years ago and got a pair of wind/water proof shell mitts and layer with polypro glove liners and/or the awesome- and discontinued! Bah!- OR Metamorph glove. I've found that using multiple thinner layers is at least as good as one thick one for staying warm, but is MUCH easier to dry out afterwards. Most of the thick gloves/mits get a distinct funk to them by the end of the season if not outright mildew.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 12:35 pm 
OR still makes a couple shell mitts, and a Mitt/liner glove combo. Shell mitt only, Pertex brand WPB barrier: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens/mens-gloves/revel-shell-mitts/p/2432520189008 Shell mitt only, Goretex WPB barrier: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens/mens-gloves/shuksan-mitts/p/2448770001007 Shell mitt/liner glove combo: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens/mens-gloves/mt-baker-modular-mitts/p/2432530001008

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 12:42 pm 
I just recently bought some Burton Goretex mittens with some really nice glove liners that have grippy palms so I don't drop my camera or phone in the snow. They are great! I ended up just wearing the gloves alone while snowshoeing on Saturday and they provided enough warmth even after the sun went down.
Taking a break on Johnson Ridge 11/18/17
Taking a break on Johnson Ridge 11/18/17
On a much colder day, I wore the mittens, gloves and hand warmers, and they really saved me, because I have the miserable affliction known as Reynaud's Syndrome, which causes my fingertips to become frozen very quickly in cold weather. smile.gif

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 12:54 pm 
OK, I figured out what mine are... Mountain Equipment pro shell mitt, which apparently have also been discontinued but can still be found here and there. Just a basic goretex shell. And like Nancyann, I load chem warmers in the shells if it's really cold. The day I did a 20+ mile ski trip in the Taneum last December I think the high was 16° so I had just about everything going.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 1:24 pm 
I forgot to mention that I bought the Burtons at REI. Another thing I have learned over the years dealing with my frozen fingers is that like DigitalJanitor said, I have everything going, complete with two hand warmers for each hand early on, instead of waiting until they start to freeze up. Then I can always remove the mittens later if I get too warm.

cartman

cartman
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm 
I use or have used all the techniques listed in the above posts, but the reason I'll use a thin liner is to keep from sweating out the warm glove or mitten. Once the inner lining of my warmest layer gets wet, its ability to keep my hands warm drops dramatically. Thin liners are key especially when using mittens. The greatest benefit of using mittens is the ability of the fingers to share warmth and not be isolated. A thicker liner would inhibit this process, so I use the thinnest liners I have most of the time.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 9:46 pm 
cartman wrote:
Once the inner lining of my warmest layer gets wet, its ability to keep my hands warm drops dramatically.
Some people suggest using nitrile gloves next to skin as a vapor barrier to keep liner gloves dry. I haven't tried that yet, but I've used vapor barriers successfully for warmth and keeping insulation dry on my torso , arms and legs.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 11:15 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Some people suggest using nitrile gloves next to skin as a vapor barrier to keep liner gloves dry.
I have used nitrile gloves when doing trail work in the rain or when it is cold. They work wonderfully keeping my hands relatively warm. Of course doing trail work, I used work gloves as my outer layer, mostly the Atlas Work Gloves but sometimes leather work gloves. Even though the gloves get soaked, my hands stay relatively warm and dry. I have yet to try this when recreating but I should give it a go to see how well it works. Rumi I would add, sometimes Harbor Freight has the nitrile gloves on sale at a ridiculously low cost. They usually carry two different thicknesses and the thicker ones cost more.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 11:38 pm 
My favorite mitten shells are some I sewed from a pattern I got from Seattle Fabrics well over 20 years ago (mail order back when I lived in MA). Really nice cut to the hand, and good sturdy 3-ply goretex and rubberized palms. They've held up well through a lot of use in all that time.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 11:10 pm 
The Air Force used to wear heavy mittens. If you needed to do something that took finer manipulation the mittens came off and you did it in gloves. If you really needed fine touch, to operate your computer, aka Norden bombsight, off came the gloves. Under the gloves you still had on silk liners. You never took them off. You didn’t want your fingers to freeze to the side of the ship. I long ago decided that I don’t winter camp. Cold, dark, too much effort at keeping dry. But maybe the silk liners wouldn’t be a bad idea too. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 am 
I use seam-sealed GTX OR mitts over various gloves or mitts on soggy skiing days. OR used to make GTX rain mitts. VB gloves, e.g., Glacier Gloves (neoprene), are another approach that work well for some people in cool wet conditions. I've used nitrile gloves as VB liners for years. They add c. 15F warmth in cold dry weather, even more in cold wet weather, and they keep the insulated mitts from getting fouled with sweat. VBs work if you understand how they work and experiment. Another approach if you prefer gloves: full rubber work gloves over wool or synthetic gloves over nitrile VB liners.