Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 am 
I really enjoyed "what we do in the shadows", I just wouldn't have expected the guy who directed that to make a huge sci-fi epic!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Nov 19, 2017 3:58 pm 
I'm in the minority here, but I didn't think "What We Do in the Shadows" was funny at all. I'm very nervous about Waititi's directing for the new Thor movie. I'll see it eventually but probably not in the theater. To me the previews for the Justice League movie look terrible. Just cheesy and lame. It did rake in $96 million at the box office this weekend. I think I have some superhero movie fatigue.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 2:51 am 
Two thumbs up for gb's recommendation for "Murder on the Orient Express." I never really thought about cinematography before, but this movie has a lot of in your face camera angles and it worked for me. I.E.: filming in the confines of a RR car could get constrictive after two hours. I never felt that. Tom

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 9:49 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I'm very nervous about Waititi's directing for the new Thor movie. I'll see it eventually but probably not in the theater.
Don't be nervous - "Thor:Ragnarok" is nothing like "What we do in the shadows". I like both movies, but they could not be more different, and I have no problem recommending one to someone who disliked the other.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 11:56 am 
Just redboxed Alien: Covenant. Mixed review. Typically spectacular Ridley Scott eye candy, he didn't scrimp on that for sure. Troubling echoes of earlier plot lines, like the distress call deviation. Seen that...in Alien! Or the on board bug hunt...seen it! though, not quite the same... Interesting characters though. Well done action sequences, not a big action guy but the fight on the sky crane and the airlock battle were well done and caught my interest in spite of my blase attitude towards action set pieces. Some annoying unnecessary science goofs which always get my goat so to speak, a top director producer has no excuse for not avoiding blatant stupidity, but whatever. Top marks to Michael Fassbinder, reprising David from Prometheus and a new later gen synthetic, Walter. His ability to be two different characters is pretty amazing, right down to very different speech patterns and an ability to look different somehow between the two characters. I figure they might have augmented this somehow, perhaps with makeup but it was still impressive. To really get the most out of this film I don't think you need to have seen all of the franchise, but Prometheus first will definitely help...especially with respect to understanding more about Fassbinder's David who featured prominently in that earlier film. And his motivations. Which leads to my nod for slightly better than whatever...the ending is chilling.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 10:02 pm 
"Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" was entertaining and visually stunning. It wasn't a great movie, but much of the criticism of it seems over the top and undeserved. The only real criticism I have of it is that the title should've been "Valerian and Laureline" because it was as much her movie as his.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 8:47 am 
Get Out nice little horror show a bit out of the ordinary. up.gif up.gif Lady Bird a chick flick but a good one up.gif up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Nov 24, 2017 9:29 pm 
Baby Driver up.gif up.gif Wow, this might be one of my favorite movies of the year. Very engaging story about someone who is completely taken advantage of by the mob boss but figures out a way to escape it all. Jamie Foxx's and the rest of the cast did a superb job presenting their characters. And of course the driving scenes were a riot. Obviously Baby got caught up in the wrong crowd after the death of his parents (which consistently haunts him). I appreciate how well they integrated theatrics and Baby's mental issues that he faces when trying to escape trouble. As someone who suffers from tinnitus and who has been bullied this felt like quite a treat; albeit there are a few scenes that may make one wince.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Nov 29, 2017 6:39 am 
I finally saw Justice League last night. I thought it was quite enjoyable and a lot of fun. The best thing about it was that it was a superhero film, which is something a lot of the other recent offerings have moved away from. On a negative note, my problem with it is the same as the one I have with all of these 'team up' movies. They always end up giving short shrift to the characters. I don't want to see cameos, and would much rather see standalone films.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Toni

Toni
PostMon Dec 04, 2017 10:57 pm 
up.gif up.gif Dark comedy, grim but I loved it! Academy material for sure!! 94% RT OMG, the ending!

There is no Planet B
trestle

trestle
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 11:03 am 
Wonder is nearly as good as the book. Very well done on a low budget. The portrayal of Via and Miranda and the angst of teenage friendships was spot-on.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 12:42 pm 
"American Assassin" was a fairly well done action/espionage thriller. The opening scene is troubling to watch. Probably like many I've gotten somewhat desensitized to movie violence, but often it's very stylized and not lifelike. This opening scene is just brutal w/ several gunmen working their way through a crowd of tourists in Ibiza, just indiscriminately gunning people down. Too close to real life w/ recent mass shootings.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 7:59 pm 
Toni wrote:
up.gif up.gif Dark comedy, grim but I loved it!
Thanks for the recommendation. I just saw it with my wife. What a great film! up.gif Also, superb acting from almost everyone. My favorite line from the movie: “I read it on a bookmark. In a book. About polio. Or was it polo...?”

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 12:00 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
"American Assassin" was a fairly well done action/espionage thriller. The opening scene is troubling to watch. Probably like many I've gotten somewhat desensitized to movie violence, but often it's very stylized and not lifelike. This opening scene is just brutal w/ several gunmen working their way through a crowd of tourists in Ibiza, just indiscriminately gunning people down. Too close to real life w/ recent mass shootings.
Lame to quote myself, but I saw a movie that was a great counterpoint to the too realistic, disturbing violence of "American Assassin." "The Hitman's Bodyguard" is very violent, but it's just an endless string of evil henchmen, there doesn't seem to be an real consequence to the violence, and some of it is even played off as comedic. Entertaining movie. Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson worked well off of each other. And Sam and Salma Hayek seemed to be having a contest to see who could drop the most F bombs. I think it was a draw.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 12:09 am 
I was looking forward to watching "Band Aid." It wasn't quite what I expected. I was having a hard time deciding whether I liked it or not throughout the movie. I think "like" won out in the end. It wasn't a comedy, in spite of it's billing. Had funny moments, but it was a fairly hard hitting emotional drama about a couple struggling in their marriage after a miscarriage. They weren't making much progress in therapy, but on a whim figured out they could work thru some of their issues by starting a garage band and singing their frustrations at each other rather than fighting and yelling. It was rather original and inventive I would say. I like the cast. I've seen Adam Pally in a few different things. He's pretty funny. I don't think I've seen Zoe Lister-Jones in anything before. She was not only the lead actress, she also wrote, directed and produced it and wrote the songs in the movie. She wore a lot of hats! The supporting cast was good, among others I really enjoyed Hannah Simone (haven't seen her since New Girl went off the air) and Fred Armisen was his usual quirky self.