Forum Index > Trail Talk > Remembering Fred Beckey - A Celebration of Life
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nordique

nordique
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 3:01 pm 
A public memorial for Fred Beckey will be held at the Mountaineers, Seattle. The date has been set for Sunday, December 3 from 1-4pm. The organizers are expecting a large turnout and have set up an Eventbrite page for people to RSVP. Admission is free. Here is the link to the site where you can reserve tickets to the event: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/remembering-fred-beckey-a-celebration-of-life-tickets-39879444492

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 3:46 pm 
Strangely, even though the memorial is only a week away, there is no mention of it on the Mountaineers website. As well, it doesn't show up on internet searches. The Eventbrite link you embedded is the only evidence. This makes me think although it's open to the public, since there is zero publicity (that I can find) it's not really for the public at large, per se. Thoughts, nordique?

Lowell_Skoog

Lowell_Skoog
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 5:03 pm 
The event is legit. I'm part of the organizing committee. There was a hangup getting the word out through formal channels at The Mountaineers. And yes, it had to do with handling invitations for specific friends of Fred versus the general public. I believe the hangup has been eliminated and The Mountaineers will be posting announcements today or (more likely) tomorrow. Pending that, you should feel free to order a free ticket through the Eventbrite link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/remembering-fred-beckey-a-celebration-of-life-tickets-39879444492

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 9:22 pm 
Thanks, Lowell. Kinda want to go, but certainly didn't want to barge into a private memorial.

Lowell_Skoog

Lowell_Skoog
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 10:55 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Thanks, Lowell. Kinda want to go, but certainly didn't want to barge into a private memorial.
You should go. The memorial is absolutely not private. It's open to everybody.

nordique

nordique
PostWed Nov 29, 2017 6:01 pm 
So there are still tickets? When Fred gave his talk at the Mountaineers, that room was pretty full!

Lowell_Skoog

Lowell_Skoog
PostWed Nov 29, 2017 7:36 pm 
There were still tickets left when the planning committee met yesterday afternoon. Only way to know is go to the site and get one: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/remembering-fred-beckey-a-celebration-of-life-tickets-39879444492

nordique

nordique
PostWed Nov 29, 2017 8:12 pm 
My wife and I got our tickets on day one! See you there!

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 5:06 pm 
The memorial event finally showed up on the website Tuesday by searching "Fred Beckey", although it still wasn't on the calendar. As well, it was listed in a monthly Mtneer e-mail Wednesday.

gb

gb
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 6:38 pm 
The memorial will likely bring out of the woodwork many old-timers who used to be alpine climbers.

nordique

nordique
PostSun Dec 03, 2017 6:04 pm 
My photos from this great event here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nordique/albums/72157689181575651 There was a videographer on site so a recording of this event may be available in the not-too-distant future. It was nice to run into someone at the clubhouse who saw my posting of this event here and attended. The event didn't get the advertising that it deserved.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Dec 03, 2017 6:43 pm 
Thanks for your pictures, nordique. It looks like a fairly light turnout. I wish I could have attended but had a family commitment at the same time.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Dec 03, 2017 7:52 pm 
Well Nordique, how did you feel about it? Did it reinforce or change your views on anything?

nordique

nordique
PostSun Dec 03, 2017 7:59 pm 
Like most climbers around here, I've always been a big Fred Beckey fan. Most great climbers have not also been great researchers, climbing guide writers, historian/scholars, nor have most of them been so active, for so many decades. Fred was a climber who gave a huge amount back to the climbing community--and he lived to tell about it and made it to 94 years old--in a time when so many great climbers die too young. A unique great climber--and one of ours!

gb

gb
PostSun Dec 03, 2017 9:45 pm 
It was a well attended event. There were just a small number of people in their eighties in attendance but many contemporaries of mine including a number from a good distance away. By chance I sat next to Senator Cantwell and her aide. She is a climber as is her aide. When Matt Perkins asked for a show of hands of how many had climbed with Fred Beckey nearly half in attendance raised their hands. Fred's impact on the climbing community throughout his career has been huge.