Forum Index > Trail Talk > 8th Leave No Trace interview
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas

Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 12:28 pm 
I interviewed Mark Wetherington about the idea of not talking about locations of photos when posting on the internet/social media. Take a listen! http://northcascadehiker.com/cascade-hiker-podcast/084

Check out my hiking podcast at www.northcascadehiker.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 1:01 pm 
Next up on the radical extremist agenda: ban all wilderness travel, because any visit causes impacts. This whole social media myth is getting old and tired. I've written highly viewed reports on beautiful and easy to reach places, and there has been zero increase in reports on the area after that. No new reports for years, in some cases. And unlike agenda driven extremists, I will provide an example. Do a search here on Fern Lake, see my report with excellent pictures and a large numbers of views, then see no more reports for years and years. Anyone who knows anything knows that use increases at some places because other places have washed out roads, or trails, etc, that are never repaired, limiting options.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 2:55 pm 
Wow, this is great Rudy. You really are getting some great interviews! Haven't listened yet. Perhaps my T-day guests and I will today! We're all interested in this subject for sure

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Nov 24, 2017 10:29 am 
Slugman wrote:
Anyone who knows anything knows that use increases at some places because other places have washed out roads, or trails, etc, that are never repaired, limiting options.
Haha. Anyone who knows anything knows "the plural of anecdote is not data." wink.gif

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Nov 24, 2017 1:15 pm 
joker wrote:
Slugman wrote:
Anyone who knows anything knows that use increases at some places because other places have washed out roads, or trails, etc, that are never repaired, limiting options.
Haha. Anyone who knows anything knows "the plural of anecdote is not data." wink.gif
At about 26:38 of the podcast comes a glaring admission by Mark Wetherington: "to be honest we did not put a ton of thought into this eighth principle..." I have listened to almost the entire podcast and my reaction has been that it shows they have not put a lot of thought into this. Everything about it is ill defined and based on anecdote. The problem is ill defined. This proposal is ill defined. It is not even clear that the proposed solution would have any effect on the ill defined problems. Another quote from the podcast which stood out to me was this one at about 23:40: "where every place worth going you have to get a permit for ..." which was a reaction to the idea of limiting access by requiring permits. I am not sure what the alternative is. Go places not worth going? Keep places secret? The amorphous idea, just think about what you post on social media seems so inadequate. And again, we aren't even sure if an 8th LNT principle would properly address whatever the problem is. I was really disappointed in this podcast. That is not intended as a slam on either Mark Wetherington or Rudy Giecek. It's just that nothing concrete was offered up. My proposal. Go back to the drawing board, so to speak. Define the problem or problems. Define the causes of these problems not based on anecdote or your gut feeling, but based on real data. Propose practical solutions to mitigate these causes. And finally, realize that you can't put the internet/social media genie back into the bottle. We are going to have to accept the limitations of the things we can actually do. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas

Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas
PostFri Nov 24, 2017 2:34 pm 
I think the main point of the discussion is to get more people talking about it. It is with more input that good ideas become great. I am just an interviewer myself, not the great idea guy.

Check out my hiking podcast at www.northcascadehiker.com
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 2:09 am 
why are you littering?
why are you littering?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."