Forum Index > Gear Talk > Snow vs All Season Tires
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
christensent

christensent
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 9:21 pm 
boot up wrote:
I really liked the Kirkland Discount Tires store.
That's the one I go to also. Some of the best customer service I've ever experienced in a store, tires or not. I guess I got lucky picking to go there.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Nov 05, 2017 12:49 pm 
After visiting my nearest Discount Tire store (Mt Vernon) I've decided to head to Costco and get the Michelin Premier LTX, the original tires on the car.

jbsimm2
WWLD?

jbsimm2
WWLD?
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 7:06 am 
I guess I didn't know it depended on location. the 2 DT locations I have been to, Lynnwood and the one across from Aurora Village, have been stellar. I will never go anyplace else. they also beat Costco's price. One of my immediate family members works for Costco and straight up drinks the Costco kool aid, and even he goes to DT over Costco.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 10:57 am 
I have had better experience re service and better prices with Costco over DT. YMMV

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 am 
This seems to be my luck. I ordered the tires on Costco website, to be shipped to the store. The tires were shipped as 2 packages via UPS & I received tracking numbers. The day after they were delivered I went to have them installed and the store only had 2 of them. They said I had to call the online number and deal with them over the missing tires - so rather than do that I walked over to the customer service counter and got a refund. Now I start over.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 am 
Schroder wrote:
This seems to be my luck. I ordered the tires on Costco website, to be shipped to the store. The tires were shipped as 2 packages via UPS & I received tracking numbers. The day after they were delivered I went to have them installed and the store only had 2 of them. They said I had to call the online number and deal with them over the missing tires - so rather than do that I walked over to the customer service counter and got a refund. Now I start over.
Might be worth giving your local Discount Tires a call to see what the installed price and lead time is for special ordering the same tires. Just a thought....

friluftsliv
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 2:46 pm 
Ive got a winter dedicated set of tires/wheels for my Jeep Liberty. Last year we got 15' of snow over the winter. There is snow at my house from late November to April.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
blendergasket

blendergasket
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 6:33 pm 
My situation is such that I don't have room for a set of Winter tires for my Astro van. Per suggestions on another (Astro specific) forum, I am considering going with the BF Goodrich ALL-TERRAIN T/A® KO2 tires. These seem like they'd be good for snow and also for getting me where I want to go on and off the road. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these here, as the people on this forum are basically doing with them exactly what I'll be doing with mine. Also, Kumho Road Venture A/T 51 and Yokohama Geolandar tires are options I'm looking at if there is any feedback you have on those. The WRGs don't seem to come in my size, 215/75R15, otherwise those sound like they'd be a great option. Thank you!

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 11:42 am 
Les Schwab YES or NO? I was looking at the Observe GS15 Mud/Snow as my 4 season tires for front wheel drive city car....last year but didn't pull the trigger on these. $646 for 4 (205/60R-16) Comparable tires?

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 3:21 pm 
Brucester wrote:
Les Schwab YES or NO? I was looking at the Observe GS15 Mud/Snow...
I can't help you with those specific tires or even snow tires in general, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Les Schwab and their tires. In the interest of full disclosure, I never buy their bargain/bottom end tires; always one or two steps up. (Possibly that's why some people have bad experiences with LS tires?)

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 4:02 pm 
The biggest problems people have with Les Schwab are that one can almost always find the same or equivalent tire for less money elsewhere and LS's pattern of pushing people to buy goods and services they don't need. See, e.g., http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2016/03/les_schwab_manager_ordered_emp.html Most LS tires are made by Toyo or Cooper, but it's sometimes difficult to comparison shop because LS sells private label tires. Toureo tires are made by Toyo. Mastercraft is Cooper's budget brand.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 5:02 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
The biggest problems people have with Les Schwab are that one can almost always find the same or equivalent tire for less money elsewhere and LS's pattern of pushing people to buy goods and services they don't need.
Wasn't aware of that lawsuit. Doesn't matter to me because I don't ask Les Schwab what I need, I tell them. As for cheaper-elsewhere, that's fine if you also get the free rotations, flat repair, popcorn smile.gif, etc.

Chico

Chico
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 1:30 am 
I also go to Schwab for my tires. Toyo specifically. All season, siped. I too don't buy their "well, you need this" and they really don't try and push anything on me as I know what I want when I walk in. For the first time in a LONG time I had a flat recently. Took it in but it was not repairable as the cord had been cut. I hit something on the fog line and heard it hit. A bit later was told I had a flat after I had stopped for a meeting and dinner. Since I had some miles on it I had to pay but certainly not full price. They prorated it. Bought tire chains there a few years ago too. Was told that if I hadn't used them at the end of the season to bring them back and get my money back. Never did. Still have them, so far unused. I like the Toyo tires. Do VERY well in heavy rain, ice and snow. When the tread gets low I get a new set. Had bought Michelins at Costco years ago when I had a Honda Civic hatchback (1977). And again when I had a Saab 900 (1989). The only reason I got the Costco membership at the time was to get the tires. Eventually stopped paying for membership as it was a waste of money for me. It's geared to people walking out with loaded carts of stuff they didn't really need. And actually the Toyo tires could very well be mud and snow. I'd have to look.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 12:15 pm 
Per objective testing, Toyo's best snow/ice tires (not studded) do well in snow but ice traction and ice braking performance is nowhere near the big 3 studless ice tires, i.e., X-Ice, Blizzak, Hakkapeliitta, and studless ice tires recently introduced by Continental, Yokohama and Dunlop. Of those, X-Ice and Hakkas perform the best on dry roads. Numerous objective tests confirm those results. IME, superior ice performance is not a big deal W of the WA Cascades except for a few days in a typical winter, but it is a big deal E of the crest where icy roads are common and often persist in winter. Arguing about tires often triggers emotions, akin to high school Ford/Chevy/Dodge fistfights.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 12:32 pm 
blendergasket wrote:
I am considering going with the BF Goodrich ALL-TERRAIN T/A® KO2 tires. These seem like they'd be good for snow and also for getting me where I want to go on and off the road. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these here, as the people on this forum are basically doing with them exactly what I'll be doing with mine.
A bit late of a reply, but have BFG KO2's on my old Pathfinder which I recently sold to my neighbor. Do a decent job in the snow, great on FS roads. Supposed to wear longer than the original KO's which I went thru a couple sets of those.