Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Monadnock, New Hampshire (Nov 24, 2017)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Nov 25, 2017 9:06 am 
After gorging on Thursday’s Thanksgiving meal, I waddled off to hike Mount Monadnock the next morning, to burn off some of that turkey. This was a reprise of a trip I did last Thanksgiving, for the same purpose. I decided to pick the same route as before, but try and do a better job photography wise. I even started the hike at the exact same time of 6:00am (using a headlamp for the first 15min). Route: Take the White Dot Trail to the summit - retrace my steps to pick up the Smith Connecting Trail - continue down the Cliff Walk - a left on the Lost Farm Trail - finish the loop via the Parker Trail. Hiking/Photography stats: 5mi, 2000ft elevation gain, 5.5hrs The top of the mountain was a frigid place, made colder by a stiff wind. Photography was extremely challenging because of having to constantly take off my heavy gloves to work the camera buttons and then to quickly put them back on. Having said that, the ice bound granite summit, glittering in the early morning sunshine was exactly what I’d come to see. Mount Monadnock might make for a short hike, but it has a spectacular summit.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 7:36 pm 
Nice lighting. How do you pronounce "Monadnock"? I see even the wiki page at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Monadnock doesn't bother to offer up the pronounciation.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 9:11 pm 
Chico wrote:
How do you pronounce "Monadnock"?
Moe-nad-knock; stress on the second syllable.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Chico

Chico
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 9:13 pm 
Your reply came just as I was editing my post. Thanks.

Chico

Chico
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 9:20 pm 
Well, wouldn't you know it. Web search on pronunciation brings up competing results. The one you provided and mahn ad knock.

Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 3:27 pm 
I was certainly surprised to see this trip report. Mt. Monadnock was the very first mountain I climbed as a kid - not sure the exact year, but probably 1960ish. We went up the White Dot Trail and down the White Cross Trail. The summit was clouded in, and I have a pretty clear recollection that there was a little building almost on the summit where they sold candy bars and such. I assume (hope) that's no longer there.

pithy yet insightful signature
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 8:19 pm 
Middle E wrote:
... I have a pretty clear recollection that there was a little building almost on the summit where they sold candy bars and such. I assume (hope) that's no longer there.
eek.gif No, no such thing there as of now. Thank god!

pula58

pula58
PostTue Nov 28, 2017 8:19 pm 
I used to live in Boston, many moons ago. I went up Monadnock a few times. It is a very beautiful place for sure. A different kind of beauty than here in WA state, but beautiful nevertheless! Mt Chocorua in New Hampshire was for me a similarly beautiful place. A smallish mountain, but great rock slabs and this certain type of beautiful barrenness up top. !!