Forum Index > Trail Talk > Gender Neutral Lakes
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 6:44 pm 
I'm jumping on the "Gender Neutral" bandwagon and from here on, only hiking to lakes with gender neutral names I'm also taking it one step further and going to petition all branches of government who manage all of Washington States wilderness areas, and demand! that all lakes with names that ARE NOT gender neutral names, be immediately changed. Snow Lake, Blue Lake, Wing Lake, Lake Twenty-Two, Twin Lakes ( but only if the twins were born gender neutral ), 8 Mile Lake etc... are safe. Lake Ann, Pete Lake, Rachel Lake, Little Joe Lake, Jack Lake, Lake Edna... are not safe Names like... "Blanca"... Questionable.and could be considered racist "Venus" Hell no! Gotta go! Sounds too much like Penis And priority is... ( not sure this is in the proper order but) ..."Tom's Harry Dick Lakes" ( something like that ) Anyway, stay tuned! I'm on a mission!!!

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 7:01 pm 
You're doing this all backwards. First we have to change all the names on all the maps to their traditional Native American names like some members here want. Then we wait a few years (for sensitivity purposes) to change any binary gendered geographic references. A few years later we can eliminate any offensive place names. In fact, we will be keeping all place names fluid in a wiki-like database for anyone to change at any time in case someone is offended by a map name. Sure, some people might get lost and die or drive off a cliff, but I'm willing to pay that price for progress.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 8:08 pm 
Let us pray for the rain to end, so you can get back to writing content that's actually creative and worthwhile.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 9:16 pm 
Hurricanes aren't gender neutral, so why should lakes be?

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Dec 01, 2017 12:22 am 
Random character/Letter generated combo like real passwords? Or just serial number that follows the WIRA scheme.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Dec 01, 2017 1:27 am 
neek wrote:
Let us pray for the rain to end, so you can get back to writing content that's actually creative and worthwhile.
up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Dec 01, 2017 1:30 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
I'm jumping on the "Gender Neutral" bandwagon
This sarcastic post is clearly about politics, not about lakes, and has no place in Trail Talk. Please take it somewhere else.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Dec 01, 2017 2:14 am 
Fabulous Pork Shoulder Blade Roast 1 head of garlic - minced fine 1/2 cup olive oil 1 tablespoon salt 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed fine mix all above in a bowl and spread over pork roast. place roast on rack in shallow baking dish. pour a little bit of water into the bottom or the baking dish before putting into oven. place in pre-heated oven at 425° F for 20-25 minutes. lower oven temperature to 325° F and cook about two more hours. check with meat thermometer - remove when inside temperature is 180° F remove from oven and allow to rest at least 20 minutes before slicing. fabulous! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Dec 01, 2017 2:35 am 
in other news.... In another thread another member and I were discussing nomenclature on mechanics' hand tools, and I noted that there can be any number of different names assigned to the same tool depending sometimes on geography. In some other cases, the tools themselves become obsolete or so obscure that their original names are forgotten and replaced with more common contemporary terms. Such is the case here, where most of you will probably look at these and immediately think "open-end wrench", when in fact they are (or rather were) originally known as "nut and tap wrenches". These beauties were made by the J.E. Wakefield Wrench Company of Worcester Massachusetts:
J.E. Wakefield 'Wizard' SAE nut and tap wrench set 01 J.E. Wakefield Wrench Co., Worcester, Ma., USA made in USA
J.E. Wakefield 'Wizard' SAE nut and tap wrench set 01 J.E. Wakefield Wrench Co., Worcester, Ma., USA made in USA
J.E. Wakefield 'Wizard' SAE nut and tap wrench set 02 J.E. Wakefield Wrench Co., Worcester, Ma., USA made in USA
J.E. Wakefield 'Wizard' SAE nut and tap wrench set 02 J.E. Wakefield Wrench Co., Worcester, Ma., USA made in USA
J.E. Wakefield 'Wizard' SAE nut and tap wrench set 03 J.E. Wakefield Wrench Co., Worcester, Ma., USA made in USA
J.E. Wakefield 'Wizard' SAE nut and tap wrench set 03 J.E. Wakefield Wrench Co., Worcester, Ma., USA made in USA
The Wakefield Wrench Company was named after its founder, John E. Wakefield, who is credited with having manufactured the first "bicycle wrench", an item that the unknowing in the current era would most likely refer to erroneously as a "monkey wrench" or "pipe wrench". Mr. Wakefield, a prodigious innovator, is also credited with patenting one of the first iterations of the "folding chair" (US Patent 179979A.)
John E. Wakefield - from 1917 'Men of Wakefield in Caricature - Luther Curtis Phifer, Worcester, Massachusetts
John E. Wakefield - from 1917 'Men of Wakefield in Caricature - Luther Curtis Phifer, Worcester, Massachusetts
Wakefield 15M bicycle wrench - 1930 Union Hardware Co. catalog pp 300 J.E. Wakefield Wrench Co., Worcester, Massachusetts, USA made in USA
Wakefield 15M bicycle wrench - 1930 Union Hardware Co. catalog pp 300 J.E. Wakefield Wrench Co., Worcester, Massachusetts, USA made in USA

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."