Forum Index > Trail Talk > Backpacking Sykline Divide in Winter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Haley_hikes
Haley_hikes

Haley_hikes
Haley_hikes
PostTue Dec 05, 2017 10:59 am 
Has anyone backpacked up to Skyline Divide during the wintery months? Thinking about trying to head up there now or later in the season towards spring. Would love recommendations on where to camp to block some of the wind.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Dec 05, 2017 12:45 pm 
Won't the road be snowed in, making it a rather long approach?

Chico

Chico
PostTue Dec 05, 2017 4:24 pm 
Few trip reports on WTA for winter. (or maybe you already know that). Last one was last January (WTA trip report) but it's pretty short as they didn't make it in due to road conditions. See a lot of "Beware of road conditions" on a lot of those reports. Question is, have you hiked it in the spring/summer/fall? If not I personally don't recommend your going in the winter since you'd not be familiar with the area and would be asking for trouble. Someone did it in April of 2015. See hiketohike.com. I "Googled" skyline divide winter and pulled up the images. Found a trip report link at thesnowtroopers.com. Yeah, road conditions will be the deciding factor on a winter trip I think. Maybe have a chat with the ranger district and see what they think. Front desk personnel might not be too helpful so maybe ask for the recreation manager.

Haley_hikes
Haley_hikes

Haley_hikes
Haley_hikes
PostTue Dec 05, 2017 10:15 pm 
Good point on road conditions. Potentially worth checking out for a day hike and camping at a lower elevation the night before. I have been once before a few months ago and I remember seeing a few dispersed campsites on my way up.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Dec 06, 2017 7:18 am 
The snow troopers report was from a friend of mine. Skyline ridge is an early season ski destination. And like others mentioned, access is controlled by conditions. I've only been once early winter. I too remember some nice spots along the ridge. The view of Baker and hannegen killer. I'm sure the snow is a few feet deep there now. Not sure how far you can drive, but I bet it would be nice camping up there right now. Road and trail may be beat in a little too... Although you may encounter skiers.

christensent

christensent
PostWed Dec 06, 2017 9:05 am 
Many (if not most) times in the winter season the entire road would be impassable to most vehicles. Proof being that they start grooming the glacier creek road for snowmobiles at the end of pavement which is the same elevation as the highway. It's very unlikely the forest service will have any information. They almost always just say they don't know on any road conditions in winter.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat