6%  [ 4 ]
Posting or voting on this thread binds an agreement to give fruitcake to Quark
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 65

Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostTue Dec 08, 2015 11:11 pm 
The late, Late night talk-show host, Johnny Carson, opined that “The worst gift is fruitcake. There is only one fruitcake in the entire world, and people keep sending it to each other.” Source: The Internet Who got it this year? Send it to Quark so we can be finished with this sorry tradition.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Dec 11, 2015 10:35 am 
bump. If there's enough fruitcake for me, I'll call a Fruitcake Social in January (with a title like that, it should be quite an evening).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Dec 13, 2016 6:55 pm 
It's that time of year again. What better way to spend the holiday than collecting all the fruitcake you received as gifts (be sure to check for past year cakes also, now used as door stops, for propping up Uncle Joe's old Pontiac LeMan's, and paperweights). Send 'em all my way. If you plan on attending the Calendar Social, bring those cakes in! I'll be there with a rented flatbed truck to haul 'em home.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
gb

gb
PostWed Dec 14, 2016 8:55 am 
Many many moons ago I was staying with my GF at a friend's place in Bellingham and skiing up at Baker. There came a knock on the door and two nice young men dressed in suits showed their presence. My friend Dave addressed them, "Oh. You've brought me fruitcake. Let me tell you something about fruitcake. They made about 200 of them back in the time of Christ and they have been passing them around ever since." Oddly, the conversation kind of died at that point.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Dec 14, 2016 5:51 pm 
My wife just sent her 94 year old mom the Collin Street Bakery Traditional xtra large. Been doin' that for 30 years. Only good thing to come out of Texas. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Tom

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Dec 15, 2016 2:03 pm 
It's amazing how much the most awful fruitcake can be improved by, first, wrapping it in a number of layers of brandy-soaked cheesecloth for several weeks; second, steaming it before serving so it's hot and moist; and, finally, serving slices of the hot, moist fruitcake topped with hard sauce (with plenty of brandy in the latter). Maybe it's the brandy, but that's how plum pudding (a similar product) has traditionally been served, with good reason.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Dec 15, 2016 2:54 pm 
tmatlack wrote:
My wife just sent her 94 year old mom the Collin Street Bakery Traditional xtra large. Been doin' that for 30 years. Only good thing to come out of Texas. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Tom
Yup. Collins Street Bakery, in Corsicana. After my mom passed away, "Santa" mailed us each a fruitcake from Eilenberger's Bakery in Palestine, Tx. My dad was so angry one year when Eilenberger's signed each card with his actual name instead of "Santa." We told him that was OK, we suspected the cakes were really from him anyway. Not a ran of too much rum on a cake. I actually like the taste of the fruitcake. But don't let that sway your decision: I'll take a rum-soaked cake! Bring one, bring all, to the social on the 27th. I'll have a table set up to receive the cakes. No reason to stampede, I'll be there all evening.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Dec 04, 2017 2:18 pm 
Quark is ready to receive fruitcake. Load me up.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 pm 
Did anyone post Gaffigan yet?

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 2:40 am 
We read Capote's Christmas Memory again this week and I bought two fruitcake loaves for sampling. I forget what brand from Safeway but they look like Figi's loaf. While no one proclaimed the slices "dank," one young woman said "it's not that bad." Another commented "it's like very heavy coffee cake." There was very little middle ground, as the rest of the comments were more like "it tastes like ass decay"(whatever that is) and death was threatened...twice...if I insisted on more than a nibble. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif You gotta admit..that candied, jellied fruit is a definite, acquired taste. All of us commented on the alcohol(bourbon?) content producing a not-unpleasant aroma and taste. Since I was not carded to purchase the fruit cake I guess it was ok to sample in a public school...???? tom

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 2:23 pm 
The Fruitcake Refuse Refuge is open for business. Emma Lazarus even wrote a poem for it. “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled fruitcake yearning to be eaten with tea, The wretched refused refuse of your fruit-cakey choss. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost fruitcakes to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door so as to show the Way of the place of drop-offs” Or bring it to the NWHikers social. If I am not there, HikerJim is hereby appointed the fruitcake. (proxy.)

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 8:29 pm 
Does anyone have a fruitcake older than this thread? Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 8:36 pm 
Made gloog tonight saving the fruit for panatone.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 12:52 am 
For the first time, I made fruitcake this year. It’s gonna be pretty “fruity”.... we’ll see how it tastes. I’m thinking it might be ok for long winter day hikes, when i’m starving and not so particular. Gotta do Gloog too. It’s been a long time since I’ve had that. Thanks for reminding me MC.

When I grow up I wanna play.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 9:33 pm 
It's not fruit in there!!! And it's not cake!! Its bad!!! No need to debate how bad it is. What are those green things??? Look that ain't fruit. And if you've ever had cake you know its supposed to be SOFT!! MOIST!!!! I find the fact that fruit cake exists extremely angering!!