Forum Index > Gear Talk > Snow vs All Season Tires
Previous :: Next Topic  
mike

mike
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
DIYSteve wrote:
What tires "like Blizzak" are you talking about?

As per CR

Quote:

Hydroplaning Resistance

Consumer Reports determines the speed a tire starts to hydroplane on standing water about 3/8-inch deep. Most all-season and performance all-season tires have good hydroplaning resistance, but winter tires can be great or miserable. Winter tires that have a tight tread pattern with lots of siping (slits) to bite into snow and squeegee on ice donít resist hydroplaning well. These include the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 winter tire, which started hydroplaning at a relatively slow 45 mph, and not much better, were other popular winter tires including the Michelin X-ICE XI3, Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, Dunlop Winter Maxx, and Continental WinterContact SI. In contrast, tires with a blocky tread with lots open channels like the Firestone WinterForce do a better job of remaining in contact with the road. The Firestone started hydroplaning at an impressive 58 mph, just behind the best tire, the performance all-season Nokian enTYRE 2.0, which started hydroplaning at 59 mph. 
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Gregory

Gregory
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 4:41 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I run the KOs on my trucks.Love them.To me, they are a good compromise for an all season.They are great in the rain and snow.They tend to load up a bit in the mud.Wear excellent, I get over 50,000 miles per set.They are HEAVY!you will not ever get a flat but you know they are there both at the pump and getting on the freeway.I buy mine at Costco on sale.Save around 400.00 from Schwab and Discount.Oh ya, they look cool!lol

I
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > Snow vs All Season Tires
Jump to:   
Search this topic: