Forum Index > Trail Talk > Campmor spam, endless spam, permanent spam, spam spam
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KarlK

KarlK
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 3:19 pm 
So I've been trying for a loonnngggg time to get Campmor to quit sending me spam every friggin day. You'd think this would be pretty easy, like when I unsubscribed from Railriders because getting a friggin email from a marketer every friggin day is just too friggin much, but Railriders immediately honored my unsubscribe. Not friggin Campmor, whose emails I never friggin signed up for, not after umpteen unsubscribe requests, not after multiple phone calls to customer servcie. I called them again today, and again some immiserated-sounding guy said he'd get me off their list. Hah! I will NEVER buy a friggin thing from Campmor -- and take my word for it, if you do, spam spam friggin spam for all of friggin time will be your friggin fate

Karl J Kaiyala
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 6:25 pm 
My email lets me designate addresses that are sent directly to the delete folder. This does not help with most spammers as each email comes from a different address. But for a company like Campmor it would work very well.

RichP

RichP
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 6:34 pm 
Eastern Mountain Sports hits me a couple times a day and I haven't bought anything from them in at least 5 years. These businesses don't seem to understand that they can't pester customers into buying from them.

cartman

cartman
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 7:43 pm 
Karl, if you can send their emails straight to the spam folder, why would you care?

KarlK

KarlK
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 8:03 pm 
Because I expect a modicum of respect; because I expect people to honor my wishes as I would honor theirs; because I am wound tight like a coiled rattlesnake and do not abide being tread upon.

Karl J Kaiyala
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 9:50 pm 
1st world problem. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 11:10 pm 
Check out 33mail.com. It's a service that allows you to create disposable alias addresses on the fly that get forwarded to you until you delete the alias. At the 33mail.com website you create a username then any time you buy from an online retailer who requires you to enter an email, just make up an alias with "@yourusername.33mail.com" as the domain name. Emails sent from that retailer to the 33mail.com address will be forwarded to your regular address with a link appended that nukes the alias with one click. I never use my actual email address with any company with which I don't expect to be doing regular business.

Campmor_nick
Campmor_nick

Campmor_nick
Campmor_nick
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 9:08 am 
KarlK and any other Concerned Campmor Customers, Let me start by saying thank you for your past and future patronage. It is never our intent to upset our customers nor for them to feel we are spamming them. To provide a bit of parity here with regards to unsubscribing from our marketing emails. Back in late October we switched to a new system for our emails. In this process the unsubscribe system broke. It took us until this past Tuesday 12/5/17 to uncover the underlying problem and we are actively working to resolve the issue. We have implemented an interim work around and if you are to click the 'unsubscribe' link in the emails you will be removed from future mailings. This process can take up to 3 days depending upon when you clicked the button. But you will be removed. IF for whatever reason you find that you are still receiving emails, please feel free to submit your email to this form. https://goo.gl/yQZJVt This is monitored on a daily basis as well and used to catch any outliers that we may have inadvertently missed. At anytime if you would like to send us an email with questions, complaints, or concerns please feel free to email customer-service@campmor.com Our staff is more than happy to help. Again we apologize for upsetting anyone, we are are actively working to resolve the issue.. Thank You, Nick

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 11:07 am 
lol.gif Looks like you got somebody's attention, Karl.
RichP wrote:
These businesses don't seem to understand that they can't pester customers into buying from them.
It's a sales tactic called "Bug 'em 'til they buy.". It's used when the seller is unable or unwilling to avail themselves to more effective sales tactics (i.e., "I have a better product" or "I have a better price.") It works with some people. Most of the time it just annoys people.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 11:10 am 
DANG.. there goes my business model for selling my art via email...

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 11:53 am 
Seems to get much worst around the holidays. Unsubscribed or never subscribed transforms into subscribed (and on a daily basis). Seriously? Advertising on the web is worse though. I can't believe how awful the experience is when I am browsing without an adblocker. A decade ago every major web browser implemented pop up blockers because nobody wanted that crap. But pop up ads now seem to have come back in vogue. Even blog software is designed to pop up "subscribe to this page" as your first greeting instead of showing you the actual content. I'd rather I have those pop behind windows than something blocking me from viewing content until I respond. No I'm not going to subscribe or likely visit again.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 2:33 pm 
Unfortunately some of the people who work in sales and marketing fail to grasp that the "in your face" tactic has a counterproductive effect with a lot of people. Internet "popup" ads are probably the best example I can think of - nobody likes them.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 3:27 pm 
KarkK, I have some insight into this. Here is some of what is going on: 1) Any time you buy anything from a business, especially online, a "business relationship" is formed. The company then has the legal right to market directly to you until you tell them to stop. 2) Another aspect of this relationship is they can also sell your contact information (email) to anyone for what I believe is a one time use. It may be more than one time, but this is my recollection. It really depends on their privacy policy and many businesses also sell their email lists, and mailing lists, to other companies that specialize in reselling lists to businesses based on purchase habits. (example: those hiking, hunting, paddling, skiing, outdoor themed, etc. magazines you subscribe to are selling your name and email to retailers who think you might be a potential customer) 3) Selling email addresses is big business and there are many algorithms out there that can use the email address and analyse purchasing habits that are associated with that email address and accurately identify the type of products a person buys, or might buy. Some can even make inferences about personality and a host of other scary traits about a person. 4) Any company can buy email address list for a one time use from these businesses based on purchase history and various consumer characteristics. If they buy the list a secon time, they can market to you a second time, 3rd, 4th etc. 5) You may opt out of a given company's mailing list, but it is possible that they might buy it again and send you an email because you fit the model of the consumer they want to market to. What you need to do is get your contact info off a bunch of lists, not just one you don't like. A more effective way to remove yourself from the lists being sold is to register with DMA (Data and Marketing Association). Nearly all legitimate online retailers will subscribe to their "Do not Mail" lists and if they do they should be doing a "merge/purge" against their internal list before they send out emails. The DMA process takes a long time (weeks, months) for your information to filter through all the layers and levels, but the traffic (spam) should begin to slow down. Here is a link to where you can begin to get off email lists (and mailing lists of all kinds): http://www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offmailinglist/ Unfortunately some companies do not merge/purge this list with their list on a regular basis, and illegitimate and unscrupulous businesses don't participate and they will simply continue to spam anyone they can. Good luck! In this modern world it is getting harder and harder to protect your privacy.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 3:31 pm 
I've been getting some Campmor spam, but Dick's Sporting Goods has been by far the biggest offender for me. Best Buy is busy spamming too. Good thing for junk mail filters and anything that gets thru that can easily be deleted without having to look at it.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 3:35 pm 
Once we all stop using the internet this problem will go away. biggrin.gif