Forum Index > Pacific NW History > white chuck river road... did it go further?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 1:30 pm 
On a trip to climb Frostbite Ridge on Glacier Peak in 1978 [a young BB at left], we ascended the Glacier Ridge trail to the PCT as a shortcut instead of going to Kennedy Hot Springs. I recall passing by the ruins of the Glacier Ridge lookout, just a heap of rotting lumber at the time. I again tried ascending that trail a decade or more later but it wasn't worth the effort, one of lots of trails succumbing to neglect.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cartman

cartman
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 10:19 pm 
Maybe someone here can solve a mystery for me from this area. In April 2012 Stefan organized a day trip to Meadow Mtn. I was sick so I turned around after we summitted the 5625' peak above Meadow Lake and soloed directly back down to the White Chuck River Rd via a drainage, the second or third from the TH on the Green Trails map. About 500' above the road I came across this cabin hidden in the trees:
Cabin
Cabin
Cabin interior
Cabin interior
The roof was partially collapsed and the cabin was surrounded by skinny trees; presumably it hadn't been occupied for several decades. There is no clearing anywhere near it, it's all forest. Two rooms, the second picture is taken from the rear. It looked somewhat unstable so I didn't try to go inside esp. since I was solo. Anyone have any idea of the history behind this cabin, who might have built it and why there? I had in mind to ask Fred Beckey about it someday, but never remembered to the few times we met. Is it a possible vigilante built cabin? It is just outside the GP Wilderness so is on FS land. It's a mystery that's been nagging me for years, and I wonder if anyone other than the builder(s) even remembered it or knew it was there.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 1:52 pm 
There were several private homes up the White Chuck ages ago. There was an entire community at the end of the Suiattle Road too.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 2:00 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Glacier Ridge trail to the PCT as a shortcut instead of going to Kennedy Hot Springs. I recall passing by the ruins of the Glacier Ridge lookout, just a heap of rotting lumber at the time.
I was curious about that lookout location, and followed it down from the PCT about 4 years ago. The lumber is still there and not yet completely rotted by any means. The trail is barely there. I only found bits of tread here and there, but it's not too brushy on the upper portion. I didn't descend below the lookout site, but it looked more brushy.