Forum Index > Trail Talk > Ethics of thru hiking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 10:27 am 
Technically it's been illegal to cross into the US anywhere other than at border station for many decades. Prior to 9/11 enforcement on the northern border was almost nonexistent out in the boondocks and was focused on areas where bales of weed were being smuggled closer to civilization. The CBP has been more present along the border since 9/11. This seems like mostly "security theater" but it would definitely suck be "made an example".

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 1:10 pm 
Thru hikers that attempt the hike without any skips or flips often refer to their hike as "continuous" . Hikers that don't skip one inch of trail are considered "purists". You get to make your own rules. Some thru hikers skip large sections of trail and claim that "they hiked the entire PCT" and get put on the 2,600 mile list. Just remember to hike your own hike.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 6:36 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
The CBP has been more present along the border since 9/11. This seems like mostly "security theater" but it would definitely suck be "made an example".
There are certain places where once-upon-a-time people who lived along the US/Canadian border on both sides freely moved back and forth with little fanfare. Those days are pretty much over. Every nation reserves the right to control their borders. They decide who can enter, where they can enter, and when they can enter. Every year there are hikers who cross into Canada along the PCT without first obtaining a permit to enter Canada via the PCT. Most do so without incident. But increasingly people have been caught doing so only to discover that the CMP consider it a serious violation. Those caught entering illegally get whisked off to jail and suffer a huge fine and legal fees. A few years back, a woman had a permit, but because of either snow of something took an alternate route and entered Canada on another trail other than the PCT. She was caught, arrested, and spent several hours in custody. Through the US Consulate she was granted release, unceremoniously dropped off at the nearest border crossing, and told not to try reentering. She was very lucky. I imagine that the same is true if someone is caught by US CBP. It would be very difficult for someone to claim they were ignorant of the regulations. If nothing else, the hassle of dealing with them would turn any gambling on the odds of being caught into a losing bet. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 7:50 pm 
All this talk leads me to wonder about all the bulger peak chasers crossing into the US from Canada in what appears to be an illegal entry to bag Spickard, Redoubt and the Moxes.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 12:45 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
All this talk leads me to wonder about all the bulger peak chasers crossing into the US from Canada in what appears to be an illegal entry to bag Spickard, Redoubt and the Moxes.
China has banned foreign climbers from the Tibetan side of Everest for the rest of the year after a Polish man made an illegal crossing into Nepal via the summit of the mountain last month. Sometimes not following the rules affects more than just oneself. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."