Forum Index > Trail Talk > i hear voices
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 8:07 am 
weird audio illusions the past few days. at times, I feel like I have super human hearing I was in my front yard getting ready to leave the house when I heard two guys in my backyard talking. walked around the house, to find nobody there. went back out front, and seen a moving van and two guys 3 houses away.. realize I could hear them plain as day, but it sounded like they were still behind my house. Left the house and went to the new heybrook lookout trail. (nice trail by the way).. upon reaching the ridge and viewpoint, I was fully expecting to see niagra falls. it seemed way loud... on the return, I was on the lookout for others, as was my dog. we could hear someone with screaming kids and barking dogs not too far down the trail. at one point it was so loud, I thought we would see them within a switchback or two. my dog stayed at full heel, expecting the same.. never.. the kids and dogs where coming from the town of index.. as well as some adult voices, and various town noises. all very clear, and louder then the ringing in my ears. came home and noticed more and more how much 'crisper' distant noises sound. Anyone else notice this? or are my mutant powers finally manifesting?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 8:36 am 
ale_capone wrote:
I feel like I have super human hearing
Was your head concussed recently? Increased sensitivity to noise can be found in the concussed brain. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09540260310001606692

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 8:54 am 
ale_capone wrote:
... as well as some adult voices, and various town noises. all very clear, and louder then the ringing in my ears. came home and noticed more and more how much 'crisper' distant noises sound.
Cold air layer perhaps? Maybe an inversion above you? This phenomena is quite noticeable here when the temps dip down below zero or so.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 am 
Mike Collins wrote:
ale_capone wrote:
I feel like I have super human hearing
Was your head concussed recently? Increased sensitivity to noise can be found in the concussed brain. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09540260310001606692
not in 30 years. I do have pretty good hearing, yet sometimes I don't hear a word my girlfriend says.... the weather in the general area is a mixed bag. its been clear and very windy at my house since the start of the inversion. never got very warm.. drive two miles, its calm, foggy, and cold. on heybrook, it was warming as I climbed. pretty sure it's weather related. just odd at my place since its so windy. usually the trees drown the rest out, but I can still hear the skykomish.

Shred

Shred
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 10:28 am 
Ale, Maybe you are telepathic too? Here I will send you a message via thought. Let me know (telepathically) if you intercept transmission. Odd that you have selective hearing, when it comes to the GF. Must be an inherent code written into the male DNA gene...

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 11:00 am 
it worked better then texting me rolleyes.gif I have a new phone/number. not skiing, or able to work for a couple more weeks. hopefully in deep snow on Christmas eve for skiing.. did I hear you correctly and answer your questions?

Shred

Shred
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 11:07 am 
lol.gif lol.gif That's amazing! I will 'call' you back and we will discuss the answer to world peace. 😂 I will see you in the zone, when the snow decides to fly again!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 12:23 pm 
Air is definitely a variable conductor of sound. Sometimes I can clearly hear trains and ferries from the Edmonds waterfront several miles away from my house. Other times not at all. Cold air does seem to carry sound further. But you still might be a mutant just discovering your powers. I hear voices often when I'm hiking by myself, but don't end up seeing people. I think wind and babbling brooks mess with my hearing. That and being completely alone for hours at a time. Auditory hallucinations is what I call it.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 4:07 pm 
It's the inversion. We have been under a major inversion all week. See the snotel sites, temp changes of 20 or more degrees in a couple hundred feet. Speed of sound is temperature dependent, so the inversion essentially creates a junction between media with different speeds of sound and a portion of a sound produced at ground level which normally would diffuse into the upper atmosphere is reflected back toward the ground. With the exception of procedures to correct a conductive hearing loss you are never going to suddenly develop more acute hearing. Like everything else, your hearing is only going to get worse with age, usually gradually, but sometimes suddenly.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
neek

neek
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 8:05 pm 
There's a blurb on the effect of inversions on sound at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_(meteorology)#Sound, and more details at http://mocpa.com/inversion.html. I had no idea. Either that or a giant piece of earwax just dislodged.

One eyed Ross
Retired GI

One eyed Ross
Retired GI
PostSun Dec 10, 2017 9:40 pm 
The human brain has a remarkable capacity to find patterns in things, either seen or heard. Oft times, when we perceive something, it really isn't there, but it is just our brain finding a pattern in random auditory/visual stimuli. Not a hallucination, not a mistake, just our brain making sense of what we see/hear.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 6:52 am 
Thanks for humoring me. I'm just being silly about the super hearing. Two different things. Real, and imagined. I've been hearing real noises amplified, and 'thrown'. The wiki link explained it well. Noticed cliff mass also briefly mentions it. There are a few types of imagined. Immediate response.. usually when startled and your brain tries to quickly figure things out. This happens to me most often A loud squeak perceived as a scream. Illusion. Both me and my girlfriend seen the same face of George Washington on a rock. Dollar bill quality. Was just moss. Insanity. I did a solo five day. By day four. I had an imaginary group of Russians following me around talking. And I don't even speak russian.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 8:17 am 
ale_capone wrote:
I do have pretty good hearing, yet sometimes I don't hear a word my girlfriend says....
you're doing it right If a woman says something in the forest and there are no men around, does she still need to repeat herself? Cf., If a man says something in the forest and there are no women there, is he still wrong? (attributed to Steven Wright)

DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 10:25 am 
ale_capone wrote:
I did a solo five day. By day four. I had an imaginary group of Russians following me around talking. And I don't even speak russian.
Insanity? That depends on where you were. Were the trail signs in Russian? rolleyes.gif Having a bionic ear (hearing aid) I get mystery noises more and more. While wearing it there are occasional feed back sounds or the mystery rattles. When not wearing it there is the tinnitus that can render in the brain as sweet nothings from a tree or rock. The key to being perceived as sane is 'keep a straight face when they tell a really funny joke'.

"May you live in interesting times"
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 9:31 pm 
My brain creates distant male voices out of the constant hum of bees and fat, black flies. The occasional mosquito sounds like a distant female voice, interjecting just enough to sound like she's interested. Once, while bikepacking, I came across a low clearance warning sign for a railroad overpass I had been anticipating. Off the highway to the right was a 50-something forest with bright shafts of sunlight penetrating between the fir trunks. I was impressed with the size of a railroad trestle curving through the woods. When I approached the steel panel bridge that crossed over the highway, I couldn't understand how the tracks on the high trestle could have ever connected with the relatively low bridge. The next time I passed through, I was a little better hydrated. I saw patterns of light and shadows as before, but the high, curving trestle was "gone."

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."